The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trouble Getting Rear Rotors off

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

had a similar problem on my corolla.
used a long bolt, put it through the caliper mount hole. used a washer/nut and tightened the bolt. as you tighten the bolt, it pushes the rotor out. then you loosen, rotate the rotor and try again until its free. works best (and fast) if you have an impact gun.

now i've never worked on the mustang, not sure if they have an additional fastening system for the rotors.
to avoid the same problem, sand the hub of any rust and i put a dab of anti-seize before installing the new rotors. next time they'll slide of with ease.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
What you need to do is break the bond between the rotor and the axle. Usually, you can shake them loose by striking the rotor with a hammer between the studs. This will usually be all that is needed to loosen up the rotor.

If you are uncomfortable with using hammer that close to the studs, thread the lug nuts back on to protect the threads.

You don't need to wind up and beat the rotor with a big hammer. Hit the rotor a few times between a stud and then rotate the rotor bringing the next gap between studs to the top. Repeat until loose.

If you are replacing/junking the rotor. A more forceful method of striking the rotor brake surface can be used.

Good luck

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
^^^bingo

Also spray the interface where the hub meets the rotor with pb blaster or other penetrating lube and let it sit for 20-30 mins then hit em again

Well. The caliper is off the rotor. :eek:

Thanks for all the suggestions. What worked was using a brake piston compressor mounted at the rear caliper bracket. Puts the rotor under tension. Couple light taps on opposite side of rotor on front side and it comes free. I had also sprayed wd40 between the hub and rotor 30mins prior but not sure if it played a role.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Glad you got it off...I've used a rubber mallet. I strike the edge of the rotor in the plane of the rotor, then knock it perpendicular if that doesn't do it.

TMO Supporting Vendors