The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Truck Transport Advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
I'm planning on moving to either Las Vegas,NV and possibly to the Los Angeles area by the end of the summer. My son is driving a Penske truck with all my stuff,but don't really want to tow the Boss behind. Any reccomendations on a transport company? I did put a scearch a couple days ago and I must have recieved a couple dozen replys,at least, from all the companys. The average quote was from $900-$1200. Of course, they all say they are the best. I just want it to get there safe. Suggestions? Thanks.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
fbbob96 said:
I'm planning on moving to either Las Vegas,NV and possibly to the Los Angeles area by the end of the summer. My son is driving a Penske truck with all my stuff,but don't really want to tow the Boss behind. Any reccomendations on a transport company? I did put a scearch a couple days ago and I must have recieved a couple dozen replys,at least, from all the companys. The average quote was from $900-$1200. Of course, they all say they are the best. I just want it to get there safe. Suggestions? Thanks.

I moved my 1969 corvette from Seattle area to Chicago area a few years back. Good carrier with open trailer, just like the factory uses to deliver to dealers. And yes, according to their advertisements, they are all great.

Look for insurance on the carrier and google the carrier and see how many complaints you find. There are a lot of carriers out there. Some small and some large. The big names you see advertised in automotive mags are usually the best. Cost a bit more though.

Good luck.

My opinion would be to skip the transporter and drive the car to LA. I bought a new LS last week in LV and drove it home. I enjoyed the drive and did not have to worry about transporter issues (ie scratches, scrapes dings etc.). The 400-500 miles in your own hands well outweighs the sleep you would lose with a transporter. I would possibly consider it if the distance was further.

Bay Area
I agree with CABOSS. Drive it and enjoy the car if you have the time. My friend bought hig GHIG Boss in Chicago and drove it all the way home to San Diego. He said it was one of his most fun road trips.

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
CABOSS302 said:
My opinion would be to skip the transporter and drive the car to LA. I bought a new LS last week in LV and drove it home. I enjoyed the drive and did not have to worry about transporter issues (ie scratches, scrapes dings etc.). The 400-500 miles in your own hands well outweighs the sleep you would lose with a transporter. I would possibly consider it if the distance was further.
I can agree with both of you, but from SC to Vegas is about 2200 miles and I just can't see well at night anymore.I'm not crazy about long trips either. Getting older sucks! Thats why I thought about the transport thing. I suppose I could just suck it up, take my time, and enjoy the trip

Bay Area
There you go thats the attitude. Besides How often do you get the opportunity to drive a Boss across this beautiful county. I drove mine a 2000 mile road trip and enjoyed it. I just recommend you put the restrictors back in for the long haul. But if your hearing is going then keep them out ;D

fbbob96

2013 SBY #0750
byronj said:
There you go thats the attitude. Besides How often do you get the opportunity to drive a Boss across this beautiful county. I drove mine a 2000 mile road trip and enjoyed it. I just recommend you put the restrictors back in for the long haul. But if your hearing is going then keep them out ;D
If my hearing is going :-\ Are you refering to my advanced age? Restrictors back in? Never ;D

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
I also am looking to transport my Boss from Florida to Cali. Driving it is not an option. I've seen carriers before on the road but I can't remember the names. So far, I'm getting prices from about $1000 for an open trailer to $1500 for an enclosed one. But I have no experience with any of these companies so, finding the right one seems to be a crapshoot.

Bay Area
ufnavy06 said:
I also am looking to transport my Boss from Florida to Cali. Driving it is not an option. I've seen carriers before on the road but I can't remember the names. So far, I'm getting prices from about $1000 for an open trailer to $1500 for an enclosed one. But I have no experience with any of these companies so, finding the right one seems to be a crapshoot.

Doesnt the Navy still handle that for you? When I woudl ship my vehicles the DOD handled it and it was fully insured. Have things changed or are you doing you car on your own?

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
byronj said:
Doesnt the Navy still handle that for you? When I woudl ship my vehicles the DOD handled it and it was fully insured. Have things changed or are you doing you car on your own?

Cross country moves aren't authorized a POV shipment, which really sucks since I have 3 cars.

I used Reliable for delivery of my Boss from Columbus, OH, to MT. Highly recommend them. Top row was 3 Maserati's, and they took the same care with my car. Not sure if they are price competitive or not, but they do a great job.

I just bought a 67 chevelle. Intercity lines is the best car carriers in the business. You do not want to use an open carrier. They pick up all kinds of cars and you never know what will be parked above your car. Well worth the money for peace of mind believe me. Jay Leno uses them, so that says a lot in itself.

TMO Supporting Vendors