The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

True 3-link rear suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Arizona
I didn't hit many events after the PM3L just due to other life events conflicting with autox schedule, but it was a significant improvement over the stock 4-link. The car handled better and was able to power out of the sweepers a lot better than before. My only real complaint about the PM3L is the added NVH due to the spherical joints in the upper link.
I do have a finished garage now with heat/air, but with talks of a baby in the near future I'm not sure how feasible this project is. I'll likely end up with a MM torque arm like many others here.
My tires are the weakest link at this point, 295 Federal RS-RR's, especially since the procharger addition. They were my track wheel/tire setup but with the current hp they're barely sufficient for street driving, so hopefully new wheels and either Re71's or A052's will be in this cars future.
Did you center the upper over the diff or did you offset to account for the torque steer they say happens? Do you happen to have any pics of the installed unit?

My brother just got a set of Potenze RE050A's and loves them, 295's on his c4. Said they are night and day over the same size kumhos.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
North Carolina
Did you center the upper over the diff or did you offset to account for the torque steer they say happens? Do you happen to have any pics of the installed unit?

My brother just got a set of Potenze RE050A's and loves them, 295's on his c4. Said they are night and day over the same size kumhos.
The current setup is simply an upper spherical axle bushing with a double adjustable upper control arm mounted in the stock location on the passenger side. Here are some pics of my car on a long sweeper at the last event. Keep in mind I'm still on stock struts/shocks too, only H&R race springs. finished 4th out of 12 in Cam-T

IMG_2434.JPG

IMG_2441.JPG

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
The current setup is simply an upper spherical axle bushing with a double adjustable upper control arm mounted in the stock location on the passenger side. Here are some pics of my car on a long sweeper at the last event. Keep in mind I'm still on stock struts/shocks too, only H&R race springs. finished 4th out of 12 in Cam-T
PM3L you should use the MM torque arm springs. you are getting a ton of body roll. The H&R super race front springs and/or larger sway bars may help as well. Ideally you want all 4 tires to stay on the ground and doing work.

PM3L you should use the MM torque arm springs. you are getting a ton of body roll. The H&R super race front springs and/or larger sway bars may help as well. Ideally you want all 4 tires to stay on the ground and doing work.
not always the case, without body roll the car can't handle., even on the GT4 stuff the inside tire is barely touching the pavement during hard cornering and they are IRS cars
qGKqzwcl.jpg
7W3nZJ2l.jpg

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
KC
This car has a three link that goes into the interior of the car and attaches to the cage. All three links were the same length. My bracket for the third link was different than the ones I am seeing in this thread. Basically it was like an upside down Griggs torque arm mount in that it used rear end cover bolts plus the ears by the pinion. I didn't use the OE upper control arm mounts.

I tamed front end lift by installing the biggest OE rear sway bar I could find. Before that the car would lift the front end so high I couldn't see where I was going on concrete. BTW this was an evolution I saw in the CP class at Solo II Nationals. In the early 90's when the rules changed to allow 12" wide wheels extreme front end lift became an issue for all of the fast guys. Over the years they all figured out how to get this under control.

My RX7 road race car also has a three link and it three wheels on corner exit too.

56025797ZcbfQq_fs[1].jpg

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
North Carolina
This car has a three link that goes into the interior of the car and attaches to the cage. All three links were the same length. My bracket for the third link was different than the ones I am seeing in this thread. Basically it was like an upside down Griggs torque arm mount in that it used rear end cover bolts plus the ears by the pinion. I didn't use the OE upper control arm mounts.

I tamed front end lift by installing the biggest OE rear sway bar I could find. Before that the car would lift the front end so high I couldn't see where I was going on concrete. BTW this was an evolution I saw in the CP class at Solo II Nationals. In the early 90's when the rules changed to allow 12" wide wheels extreme front end lift became an issue for all of the fast guys. Over the years they all figured out how to get this under control.
You have sparked my interest again... do you have any pictures you can dig up of this setup???

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
KC
No unfortunately this was back before digital cameras and smart phones were not a thing so I didn't snap allot of photos.

I whipped up a paint drawing that shows a side view of how the mount looked. The grey parts are the mount. I omitted the upper control arm ears from the drawing. The mount fit between them. The top plate was 5/16" steel with 1/8" angle welded at each end. I used 1/2" bolts through thick wall tubes to attach to the flanges that run along side the pinion in the casting. The tubes are attached to the bracket using 1/8" strap that was welded to both sides of each tube. The rear of the plate used the top 4-5 cover bolts. To connect the third link to the plate I used a 1/2" shock mount.

Originally I had a bracket on a 7.5 rear end in the car but I kept breaking parts. So I went with an 8.8 with a Detroit Locker. Never had any issues with the mount coming loose or cracking. It was very sturdy.

1684192714824.png
Here is how the car looked like on the inside. I don't have any with the cover off.

1684194849501.png

Below are some photos of how I built the interior mount on my RX7. The mustang set up was similar except for the mustang it had a removable lid so I could adjust the arm from above. This wasn't as handy as it sounds so I built the RX7 to be serviceable from the bottom. The cover is big in both installs so that there is plenty of room for tools. The mount is fully connected to the cage. in both installs. This is an extremely critical thing to do.

1684194162910.png

1684194260197.png

1684194353142.png

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel