The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

trying to decide on mods. feel free to post opinions to help me out.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello all, My friend and I recently started a business slinging parts and doing installs on both domestics and imports. obviously I am the domestic guy and my business partner is a big dsm fanatic. I sold my 750 rwhp 03 cobra to purchase this 13 boss 302 after we decided to start the business. I have been thinking of trying to get sponsors and take the car to sema but haven't completely settled on that yet. The car currently has an airaid pj cf cai, mgw shifter, whiteline trans bushing, frpp boss t springs, bmr lca, relo brackets, phb and Shelby mufflers. I will have some funds soon to spend on more mods. how much depends on if I decide to go with just tires on my daily driver Toyota fj or also get a bumper.

I have a blowfish racing splitter bracket/tow hook to install and plan to make my own front splitter. After talking to Mr. puffpaff we are going to setup dealer status with him, also hooked up as a dealer for my friend Jared at lethal performance as everything on my old cobra was from them.

I'll for sure be getting the blowfish racing brake cooling kit along with the LS bumper holes. Beyond that I am torn on what direction to go. obviously if we can go the sema route options will change. I would love to do the ls rear seat delete/x brace along with the cooltech rollbar/harness setup but since we are a startup business and don't have a massive budget we will have to look for some vendor discounts.

Driveshaft, full exhaust and maybe a watts link setup. Track wheel setup with a myriad of tire options. Too many options.

obviously this car is used for shows/advertising and also will be taken to the track as much as possible. since that is why we started the business. To make some money to fund our habits.

thanks everyone for your input and sorry for the rambling long read.

Jason said:
Can't wait to see what you end up doing! So far for me you have given some great advice. Deff going to keep up on this thread!

Thanks Jason! Sema would be a ton of work and considering straight jacket performance is young and my side job.........working 60-70 hours a week at my normal job will leave little time to grow the business if we do end up with the sema route but if we can get the right sponsors and do some cool things with the build it could very well jump start the business more than we expect. My old 03 cobra build makes for a nice resume though.

sounds like you've got some good plans.

Take it from a Sema show car builder though that in order to not get stuck someplace in no-man's land at the show, you need two things: 1) connections, so networking is key and 2) a car that stands out from the rest.

Simple bolt ons probably aren't enough. Consider paint, custom body work, stuff like that. Custom interior treatments also.

WorldFamousZ said:
sounds like you've got some good plans.

Take it from a Sema show car builder though that in order to not get stuck someplace in no-man's land at the show, you need two things: 1) connections, so networking is key and 2) a car that stands out from the rest.

Simple bolt ons probably aren't enough. Consider paint, custom body work, stuff like that. Custom interior treatments also.

thank you. I have some connections but don't plan to go crazy on exterior mods since it is a boss. interior however would get some clean and custom stuff done. Just getting the car to the show would be an honor. I've had several chances to attend but never could make it so figure if I really am going to attend why not get our car involved. might just be pipe dreams but its worth looking into.

forcefedcobra said:
obviously this car is used for shows/advertising and also will be taken to the track as much as possible. since that is why we started the business. To make some money to fund our habits.

There is quite a bit written on this subject here, to say the least. It'll help and confuse you.

The first question is always, "What are your goals? and it sounds like your making a track street hybrid that is also "pretty" for shows.

If you are tracking a couple of times a year and you're going to be chill, then ignore the following.

If you are planning on tracking (road course) quite a bit, then I can't stress enough the importance of brake mods, safety mods, and cooling mods. Get the brakes (fluid/pads/ducts) up to par, at the minimum. Change the grill or drill it. Get the roll bar when you can or when you feel that you're approaching the limits of the vehicle. With the roll bar, you can use a nice Hans device and harness. The Cooltech is nice (I have the tow hooks too). Watson and MM make a nice roll bar as well (I've got the Watson).

You can get decent track/street tires for the track on your rims.

This stuff costs a lot, and you'll have to weigh your own sense of security on the track.

If you're going to skip that stuff and you're going for power like the Cobra you let go, just get a nice Roush SCer.

further said:
There is quite a bit written on this subject here, to say the least. It'll help and confuse you.

The first question is always, "What are your goals? and it sounds like your making a track street hybrid that is also "pretty" for shows.

If you are tracking a couple of times a year and you're going to be chill, then ignore the following.

If you are planning on tracking (road course) quite a bit, then I can't stress enough the importance of brake mods, safety mods, and cooling mods. Get the brakes (fluid/pads/ducts) up to par, at the minimum. Change the grill or drill it. Get the roll bar when you can or when you feel that you're approaching the limits of the vehicle. With the roll bar, you can use a nice Hans device and harness. The Cooltech is nice (I have the tow hooks too). Watson and MM make a nice roll bar as well (I've got the Watson).

You can get decent track/street tires for the track on your rims.

This stuff costs a lot, and you'll have to weigh your own sense of security on the track.

If you're going to skip that stuff and you're going for power like the Cobra you let go, just get a nice Roush SCer.

Thanks! My normal job keeps me pretty busy as it is. the more our side business takes off the more it will afford me to take off from my normal grind (in two years we hope to have a shop and good base setup). As of right now I don't see myself being able to hit the road track more than a few times a year and maybe hit the auto x/mustang club event a few times a year too. You are correct safety is paramount. brake cooling ducts, fluid and pads are job 1. I don't plan to go crazy with horsepower on the boss like I did with my cobra. It was a bit much on the road track. I had an MM bar in my boss and the fitment was horrible. They were rude and even called me a liar when I inquired about the backing plates being overbent and the main hoop hitting the c panels. So even free I wouldn't put one in the boss.

It sounds like you're more or less good to go. If you still have stock shocks, I would suggest to upgrade those for the T springs. See you out there.

further said:
It sounds like you're more or less good to go. If you still have stock shocks, I would suggest to upgrade those for the T springs. See you out there.

yes still stock shocks. only 700 miles on the clock. need to get her out when temps warm up so I can get some more miles for the first oil change and then change the diff fluid too. my business partner is trying to talk me into a hellion single turbo kit that a guy is selling. As much as I would like to and as cool as it would be to hide the charge pipe inside the stock air box/cai I'm just leary of going that route again.

TMO Supporting Vendors