The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Trying to Learn squat....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its actually not that low, must a tad taller then P springs. the BMR lca bracket has three holes and I am in the top hole now.
The LCA angle is now just a tad more towarfs Antisquat then the OEM position.

I think the top BMR lca position is about a inch and a half from stock but will measure it again.

I would. Try lowering the rear of the RLCA by one hole and see how you like that.
OR better yet, go to the extreme and lower it all the way down to the lowest hole, and see how you like that.
If it feels like too much rear grip, raise it up one hole and try that.
Your lap times OR your ass will tell you which is best for you.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lol...Done dat!!! Started at the bottom hole and now worked my way up to the top hole..... Over the last five years!! My BMR top is not has high as the Ford racing setup though.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
I know at -2 I sense a bit of what I can best describe as shimmying in the front end at straight, high speeds down the highway to the track. I'm assuming going to -3 will increase this sensation? Man, I need to buy that enclosed trailer I keep threatening to buy.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just a quick update on the squating progress..... The car has almost no oversteer unless I get really silly on the throttle with cold tires. But I did not take into account the amount that the rear would lower under throttle and shaved me rear slicks down too cloth on the 320/650-18. The car is very easy to drive but I find it a little slower and with a pesky understeer. Will try stiffening the rear shocks and raising the rear a little... Maybe soften up the front bar a tad.

IMG_0910-1024x683.jpg

At least consistancy and not going off the track is paying off....

IMG_1930-1024x683.jpg

thats me in the Santa suit..... But my better half is going to get me when she sees where I am looking ......

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Congrats on the WIN!!! :cool:

...and *BUSTED*! :D

But I did not take into account the amount that the rear would lower under throttle and shaved me rear slicks down too cloth on the 320/650-18.

And that's one of the reasons why I've hesitated making the change on my blue car. It would undo a lot of what I like about the current rear ride height.

Congratulations!

My understanding is most fast drivers prefer a little oversteer compared to understeer. They don't like "tight" cars.

@blacksheep-1

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Congratulations!

My understanding is most fast drivers prefer a little oversteer compared to understeer. They don't like "tight" cars.

@blacksheep-1

Thanks Guys!!

Funny how adding squat added so much extra traction to the rear, but took away the traling throttle oversteer and steering with the throttle. Now to walk it back a bit.... unsquat!

Grant 302

Now to walk it back a bit.... unsquat!
:eek: lol. Crazy talk! ;)

Will try stiffening the rear shocks and raising the rear a little... Maybe soften up the front bar a tad.

Raise the rear a bit because you *have to*...but focus on improving the front grip over taking away rear grip to fight the understeer. I'd suggest softening the front bar and maybe lowering the front a bit first.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ok, no crazy talk,,... sorry about that... was drifting.... But! I do have a set of 500# springs.... tempted to follow the @ajaquilante recipe. I have a 600# springs up installed up front now. But definitly dont want to do too many things at the same time again!

Grant 302

If you have a lot of adjustment to go stiffer on the front bar, I'd think trying the 500s could make some sense, but I think it's a bit too far. My thoughts are that it could cause more issues as discussed in your "What does this picture say??" thread. Maybe if the weight and weight distribution were similar. What were the last corner weights on your car? If you have the time to try it out, why not? If you don't have the time, I'd try a softer front bar setting first.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If you have a lot of adjustment to go stiffer on the front bar, I'd think trying the 500s could make some sense, but I think it's a bit too far. My thoughts are that it could cause more issues as discussed in your "What does this picture say??" thread. Maybe if the weight and weight distribution were similar. What were the last corner weights on your car? If you have the time to try it out, why not? If you don't have the time, I'd try a softer front bar setting first.

Thanks for the reminder! Went back an re-read the article.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel