The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TSB - Engine Tick / AC Tensioner Pulley

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I was talking to someone at VIR in January (I think it was Smileyboy) and he mentioned that Ford had released a TSB for an engine tick on 2011+ 5.0 liter's caused by the stretchy belt used on our A/C compressors. I hadn't heard anything further about this but just did search and found a description on another forum. It specifically mentions GT's and Boss's, calling for the addition of a tensioner pulley and new belt - link below:

http://forums.corral.net/forums/s-197-mustang-gt-2011/1343139-new-tsb-tick-engine-knock.html

My car does have a slight tick at idle but it's been there since the day I bought it. I chaulked it up to a header noise or just normal lifter / rocker / engine noise, but now I'm thinking it could be from this. In any event, it might be a good idea (especially for those of us who track our cars often and regularly run them hard) to get this done whether your hearing a tick or not - the stock setup with the stretchy belt may or may not lead to something bad but the fact that there is a TSB on it makes me think it could.

Does anyone else have a slight tick at idle or had this fix done (either as a preventitive measure or to fix a tick)?

Funny I noticed mine doing this last weekend after installing the new fan and plugs. I don't remember it being that noticable before and wondered if something wasn't up. I fired up my F-150 and listened for comparison and it seemed about the same so I blew it off. I will have them check this out when I take it in for the driveshaft next week.

I'm pretty sure this has been brought up before. It might have been Drew who mentioned it.

yep, my '12 Boss has the tick, and also from day one. very noticeable in my driveway which is nestled between two buildings so you can hear it clearly. Now that I know about this TSB, I may take it to the dealer.
Wow, potentially 5+ hours for the fix, I don't know :'( ....where do I find the engine built date?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I have this on my car now, but it didn't fix my particular tick. I think I have a small exhaust leak. If you have a tick, it's worth taking it in to get checked out.

My car has the tick at idle ('13 LS). My previous '12 Boss had it also.

It's annoying but unless it can lead to some sort of damage, I would prefer not to have dealership mechanics monkeying with my car.

Has anyone had this TSB performed and did it solve the ticking problem?

EDIT: ArizonaGT - you and I posted at about the same time so I missed yours. Mine sounds like it could be an exhaust leak, too.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
konablueeboss302 said:
My car has the tick at idle ('13 LS). My previous '12 Boss had it also.

It's annoying but unless it can lead to some sort of damage, I would prefer not to have dealership mechanics monkeying with my car.

Has anyone had this TSB performed and did it solve the ticking problem?

EDIT: ArizonaGT - you and I posted at about the same time so I missed yours. Mine sounds like it could be an exhaust leak, too.
sounds like a good reason to swap out that exhaust with long tubes to cure that exhaust tick lol

Hah nooooo way am I doing long tubes after reading about what a huge pain in the neck it is. I may go with some stainless cat delete pipes, though. Easy enough and that will probably get me plenty of noise to cover up any ticks.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
konablueeboss302 said:
Hah nooooo way am I doing long tubes after reading about what a huge pain in the neck it is. I may go with some stainless cat delete pipes, though. Easy enough and that will probably get me plenty of noise to cover up any ticks.
I have done a couple. its not to bad the second pair I did.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
My engine has started this tick. Not the normal clatter that starts sometimes after the car has warmed up at idle. This one occurs when you are light on the throttle driving down the road when I'm next to a wall that the sound can echo off of. I am curious if it is an exhaust leak because it started after I dropped the exhaust to put the driveshaft in. I will check the torque on the bolts tomorrow and see if it's still there. Also, the chatter that we all get...is that just a normal forged motor sound?

Flyboygsxr said:
My engine has started this tick. Not the normal clatter that starts sometimes after the car has warmed up at idle. This one occurs when you are light on the throttle driving down the road when I'm next to a wall that the sound can echo off of. I am curious if it is an exhaust leak because it started after I dropped the exhaust to put the driveshaft in. I will check the torque on the bolts tomorrow and see if it's still there. Also, the chatter that we all get...is that just a normal forged motor sound?
I have heard the clatter is normal for aluminum pistons, also did you happen to change your exhaust? After swapping out to a different cat back I got a weird noise when driving by other cars/walls, an exhaust shop said it was most likely the cats as they were now flowing more air. Possible similar issue for you.

I actually made an appointment at my dealership for Friday morning because I thought I have an exhaust leak! It's worse when the engine is cold, and when the lopey Idle happens. I have done 0 mods to my car and acrually asked this forum when I first got the car if removing the AC belt would release any power or not. If this is the idler pulley problem, I am going to get them to just remove my existing belt and leave it like that. We don't get Texas heat up where I live and I have never used my ac in my F-150.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Johnson13 said:
I actually made an appointment at my dealership for Friday morning because I thought I have an exhaust leak! It's worse when the engine is cold, and when the lopey Idle happens. I have done 0 mods to my car and acrually asked this forum when I first got the car if removing the AC belt would release any power or not. If this is the idler pulley problem, I am going to get them to just remove my existing belt and leave it like that. We don't get Texas heat up where I live and I have never used my ac in my F-150.

If you're just going to remove the belt, just cut it with a pair of good scissors, don't waste your time at the dealer. A new belt is $11 from Tousley.

Thanks Arizona! Ill still take it in to see if they can find an exhaust leak, cause it realy does sound like one to me. If its not, we'll see what they say it is and go from there. Will less tesion on the inside of the crankshaft pulley and more on the outside cause any harm? That would be my only worry.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Johnson13 said:
Thanks Arizona! Ill still take it in to see if they can find an exhaust leak, cause it realy does sound like one to me. If its not, we'll see what they say it is and go from there. Will less tesion on the inside of the crankshaft pulley and more on the outside cause any harm? That would be my only worry.

Won't be an issue.

Well I went and got the exhaust leak checked and there is one where the H pipe conects to the pipe from the cat. They are ordering a new clamp. I mentioned the TSB mentioned here and they couldn't find one about the A/C belt. I came home and just cut my A/C belt like Arizona said and the ticking is still there. I think it is just the exhaust.

TMO Supporting Vendors