The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TSB for warped cylinder heads?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Car is at dealer with two issues:
1. oil consumption (they started oil consumption test but not complete)
2. Coolant leak from vicinity of head
Seems like others have similar issues that turned out to be warped heads.
Is there a TSB on this?
Thanks.
Jim

I noticed coolant on my engine cover, also. The funny thing is i haven't drove it for months? Looks like it's coming from a sensor

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

From what I remember there were issues on early cars where the stud holes in the heads were very close to the head combustion chamber and that caused warping.

@ArizonaBOSS
@Grant 302

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
VooDooBOSS said:
From what I remember there were issues on early cars where the stud holes in the heads were very close to the head combustion chamber and that caused warping.

I remember reading about this as well, this would have been on early MY2012 cars that were built in 2011.
From what I understand, all MY2013s got the shorter, thinner 11mm head bolts; assume these issues are related but can't confirm right now.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
And mine was built in October 2011, but I do have the larger cam phaser wiring harness connectors. Guess I'll have to pull the plugs for inspection to see if any are steam cleaned.

Is the power train warranty 5 years / 50,000?

302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
And mine was built in October 2011, but I do have the larger cam phaser wiring harness connectors. Guess I'll have to pull the plugs for inspection to see if any are steam cleaned.

Is the power train warranty 5 years / 50,000?

302 Hi Pro
5 years or 60,000 miles. Most likely if you haven't had a problem by now you won't have a problem in the future.

They are going to replace head gasket. I mentioned again that warped heads seem to be common on early 2012 cars. That statement did not have much effect. Surely wish there was a TSB or other evidence of a common problem.

Update -- they replaced the head gasket and continued to have the coolant leak. Now they think they found a crack in the block and are waiting on a short block from Ford.

Could y'all clarify one point for me please. Is the known issue with the early heads one in which the heads only warp when torqued down, or is there a permanent warp? I ask because the dealer checked the head (off the car) and found no warp.
Thanks.
-- Jim

Search for Cracked Piston in this forum. My 2012 S/N 1952 had an engine failure due to #3 piston letting loose at 22k.. They replaced the engine under warranty. I went back and read my comments on the thread and remember how frustrated I was at the time so I understand your concerns. In the end Ford came through and kept me a very satisfied customer. I think it was just getting to talk to the right people. Good luck. I now have over 37k since the replacement with no issues. This may not help in your particular case with the coolant leak but it was a warped head issue with mine.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hambone said:
Search for Cracked Piston in this forum. My 2012 S/N 1952 had an engine failure due to #3 piston letting loose at 22k.. They replaced the engine under warranty. I went back and read my comments on the thread and remember how frustrated I was at the time so I understand your concerns. In the end Ford came through and kept me a very satisfied customer. I think it was just getting to talk to the right people. Good luck. I now have over 37k since the replacement with no issues.

Ooohhboy, I just turned 21,000 miles this morning. Fortunately I'm covered under the power train warranty until December 2016 and I have a good Ford Dealer with excellent Service Department Personnel.

But I'll still keep my fingers crossed!

Glad to hear that you have been trouble free since the engine replacement.

Hi Pro

Thanks Hambone. Ford has has exceeded my expectations in covering engine and transmission failures under warranty -- even in cars that have been tracked hard. My new short block has arrived and the engine is being put back together now. I am probably overly concerned about the heads.

The next event at Barber Motorsports is in about two weeks. So, I'll put a quick thousand miles on the car and hopefully the oil consumption and coolant leak will be a thing of the past.

I think if your car had the same issue as mine you would have seen it a lot sooner with tracking the car. Mine is a daily driver and has never been on the track although I have exceeded the posted legal speed limit on a few occasions. I really admire you guys who can run these cars at the limit and afford the associated costs.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I remember reading about this as well, this would have been on early MY2012 cars that were built in 2011.
From what I understand, all MY2013s got the shorter, thinner 11mm head bolts; assume these issues are related but can't confirm right now.

Guys, I'm a new member and currently shopping for a Boss, I have several in my area including 2 LS's with under 4k miles and other standard Boss's Can anyone tell me any range of build dates that this may be in. Most of the 2012 cars seem to be in the April-June range with some in the Aug-Sept range. Any info is appreciated.

k98dave said:
Guys, I'm a new member and currently shopping for a Boss, I have several in my area including 2 LS's with under 4k miles and other standard Boss's Can anyone tell me any range of build dates that this may be in. Most of the 2012 cars seem to be in the April-June range with some in the Aug-Sept range. Any info is appreciated.
Welcome to BMO and good luck with your search. These were very early build cars but regardless I wouldn't worry about this too much. Chances are if there was an issue with an engine it would probably have shown up by now. This was not a wide spread problem.

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking at a silver LS with 2600 miles or a black one with about 5k. Silver is a 4-11 build date while the black is 8-11. Also have a couple of base cars also with low (under 10k) miles that I like.

Seems like more good examples are showing up, maybe because the new GT350's are getting collectors to turn the Boss's loose?

Which ever I wind up with will be my "I made it to retirement trophy" so while it would not be a daily, just a blue sky & sunshine driver but it will get driven with a couple of track days on occasion. Think I'll opt for extended power train warranty just in case.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel