The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tubular front stub questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Has anyone else looked at or installed a Team-Z tubular front end on their car? I am considering it for weight savings as well as space for ease of fabricating brake cooling, radiator tunnel, and bracing for splitter etc. At one time I was crew chief for a Super Late team running a complete tube chassis, that we rebuilt and re-stubbed a few times so I am familiar in the idea. However, that was a complete engineered chassis. My concern in the Team Z or alternative is in crash worthiness. Do you think something like that would have close to the same crush function as the factory stub (in my case a Foxbody Mustang)? What do you think about eventually tying it into a rollcage?

Generally.. team Z and other folks out there are drag race oriented, their products really aren't designed to get road course level abuse, not to say TRZ, SW and others are bad products they are not, as long as they are used for their intended purpose. MM is probably the only game in town right now for road course level components that I can think of. For the most part, chromolly is better suited to dragster stuff, mild steel for road course, but a lot of this depends on the vehicle weight. ( formula cars are chromolly) as an example.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Here is an example of the part I am considering. I know MM is the go to for suspension and k-members but they don't make anything like this.

TZM-TFEW-79-93-3.jpg

IF you are planning to "clip" the car, basically replace the entire front substructure, then there are fab shops that can do that. In most cases the ability to drop the subframe is nice to service misc parts on the car. The MM unit will also allow you the option of changing the wheel base, depending on the subframe you buy.
Here's some examples, the bottom one is mine, and is on the SN95 TMO forum

Yb7cZWSl.jpg

9MHH5HRl.jpg

jZrqz2dl.jpg

Yb7cZWSt.jpg

9MHH5HRt.jpg

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel