The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Tuned Boss '13 302 vs stock ZL1 youtube vid =D

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=169JFXbccBs

And no, white isn't the fastest color! Just heading that silly claim off right now! Heh, as if...

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ace72ace said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=169JFXbccBs

And no, white isn't the fastest color! Just heading that silly claim off right now! Heh, as if...

Of course it isn't. If it was a black LS they wouldn't have had to tune it ! DOH ;D

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
The more I learn about this current generation Boss, the more I can't help but be more and more impressed with it's capabilities. Way to go FoMoCo.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
ace72ace said:
So many ZL1's, so little time... :p

Hey, you'll have to pay residuals to me if you use that ! ;D However, my guess is we'll be lucky enough to only see a small handful of those tanks actually on a track. Gary has it going at Road Atlanta, hunt down the Z06's and make them take notice!! The ZL1's will be busy making their next Transformers movie. ::)

More.

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-2013-boss-302-mustang-vs-camaro-zl1/

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I am not so sure - here's why:

1) You can't really add rubber to a ZL1, those shoes are already as wide as they can be. You can add rubber to a Boss (as I and Gary did).
2) I'll go out on a limb and say that the stock brakes/pads on a ZL1 brake better than on the Boss. Primarily becuase of the stock Boss pads. If you add good race pads to both cars, the braking become even.

Just these two aspects alone can make a big difference on a track. All this is really just BS until someone goes up against one and toasts it. Or gets toasted.... Then again we'll probably never see a ZL1 on the track and we just get to harass the Z06's a bit. ;D

MA
I love this video.

The GM camp continues to pound their chests saying how much faster the ZL1 is than a 2013 GT500 on a road course (based on what...who knows). In reality, we will need to see one on an actual road course to know, which will be a rare sight.

The car is too heavy and has a poor intercoolong system. They are fairly easy prey for a tuned Boss on the street, which tells me on a road course, after 1-2 laps, they will be tire screeching, brake cooking, heat soaked bottom feeders, fairly easily dispatched by regular street Bosses.

The 2013 ought to smoke the Boss and the ZL1 consistently on a road course, as they have really sorted out the heat soak and put some good brakes and rubber under that thing.

All speculation other than the ZL1 being slower than a tuned, bolt on Boss, lol. 580 HP? Really? Really??? Lol. More like 450 in the rear world of poor DA and heat soak.

SVT1 said:
I love this video.

The GM camp continues to pound their chests saying how much faster the ZL1 is than a 2013 GT500 on a road course (based on what...who knows). In reality, we will need to see one on an actual road course to know, which will be a rare sight.

The car is too heavy and has a poor intercoolong system. They are fairly easy prey for a tuned Boss on the street, which tells me on a road course, after 1-2 laps, they will be tire screeching, brake cooking, heat soaked bottom feeders, fairly easily dispatched by regular street Bosses.

The 2013 ought to smoke the Boss and the ZL1 consistently on a road course, as they have really sorted out the heat soak and put some good brakes and rubber under that thing.

All speculation other than the ZL1 being slower than a tuned, bolt on Boss, lol. 580 HP? Really? Really??? Lol. More like 450 in the rear world of poor DA and heat soak.
When I saw the numbers on ths thing I said it's basically a CTS-V. A capable street car, but far too heavy to make a good track car, coupled with the inherent cooling issues of boosted motors. It would be fun to find out though ;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
I would have paid to be in that run group at WG! So would Cloud9, 5 DOT 0, Roketman, LBP, etc, etc... ;D

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
06mach1 said:
There was a ZL1 at Watkins Glen a couple of weeks ago. Not sure how fast he was going as he was in the next run group up from me. He ran both days and mentioned no issues.

So close! So maybe they won't be a unicorn afterall.

TMO Supporting Vendors