The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Turning / Facing Brake Rotors

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My rear brake rotors seem to be slightly warped. I can hear them sqeaking as they brush against the pads when I'm going slow. Does any one know if it's okay to turn the rotors at a machine shop? Or, do I need to purchase new ones?

It would be unusual to warp the rears. Have you been tracking your car? I get that noise too but I think it has more to do with the mounting on a live axle than being warped.

NFSBOSS said:
It would be unusual to warp the rears. Have you been tracking your car? I get that noise too but I think it has more to do with the mounting on a live axle than being warped.

It started doing it after I did some burnouts at the drag strip. In other cars, I've always feathered the brakes to keep the in the water box. I tried it on the Boss and it's been squeaking ever since. The squeak comes from the rear. I don't know what else it could be. Assuming they are warped, does any one know if it's ok to turn them at a machine shop?

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
It is OK to turn them but they have to meet minimum thickness spec for machining or they won't touch them these days.

John

Like he said you can turn the rotors as long as they arenot turned below specs. I would use a on car brake lathe for the best results

TMO Supporting Vendors