The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

turning off lopey idle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok call me old I am, call me old school I am. I find the lopey idle stupid. With track key is there a way to turn it off.

emcrace said:
Ok call me old I am, call me old school I am. I find the lopey idle stupid. With track key is there a way to turn it off.
You must be talking about dopey idle. ;D If my other car had that rough of an idle I'd take it to the dealer and make them fix it. I'm ok with the idle but what I like better is how the car sounds on accel and decel with TK.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
lol am I the only one that reads the TK directions?
LOPEY IDLE DISABLE:
To request all of the TracKey functionality without ever entering lopey idle mode, hold
down the "OFF" button on the left side of the steering wheel while starting the engine,
and continue to hold it down for at least 5 seconds after the engine starts running. The
tachometer will sweep to 9000 rpm indicating that lopey idle disable mode has been
requested. This will prevent lopey idle mode from enabling until the next time the
engine is started.

[pdf]http://www.trackey.ford.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Customer_Instructions_V1.2.pdf[/pdf]

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Wow, what a turnabout for poor, ole, lopey idle.

First folks complained they couldn't get it.

Then folks complained it wasn't lopey enough.

Now any lopey, is too much lopey.

It has finally been kicked to the curb and may the feature rest in peace.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
four-walling said:
Wow, what a turnabout for poor, ole, lopey idle.

First folks complained they couldn't get it.

Then folks complained it wasn't lopey enough.

Now any lopey, is too much lopey.

It has finally been kicked to the curb and may the feature rest in peace.
wish I could get the JLP lopey idle with AED performance

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
Justin said:
lol am I the only one that reads the TK directions?
LOPEY IDLE DISABLE:
To request all of the TracKey functionality without ever entering lopey idle mode, hold
down the "OFF" button on the left side of the steering wheel while starting the engine,
and continue to hold it down for at least 5 seconds after the engine starts running. The
tachometer will sweep to 9000 rpm indicating that lopey idle disable mode has been
requested. This will prevent lopey idle mode from enabling until the next time the
engine is started.

[pdf]http://www.trackey.ford.com/trackey/include/TracKey_Customer_Instructions_V1.2.pdf[/pdf]

Come on Justin most of us on this site are men we don't read instructions 8)

Thanks Justin will do. I have spent a life time getting my performance and racing machines tuned to as close to pefection as possible. For example my full race Lotus Super 7 was a beast. It also hunted and bagged many Porshe's with only a 1600cc push rod motor. An I mean full race, sanctioned events. That car tuned properly with Webers half the size of the motor still idled smoothly at 700. To intermitantly just turn an injector off to poorly simulate a radical cam is childish. It does not sound even a little bit like the real Mcoy. Besides the sillyness after runing the Boss hard or missing a shift I can listen to a motor and get a very good reading of it's health. The lopey idle gives mixed signals that an old school tuner builder like myself does not want. Soory guys.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
emcrace said:
. The lopey idle gives mixed signals that an old school tuner builder like myself does not want. Soory guys.

It seems as though the "emperor has no clothes" in regards to Ford's attempt at tuning in a lopey idle.

Domestic Product

Big fat tires and everything !
Hey guys, I like lopey idle. Mine works great the car gets a attitude and rocks back and forth. People look and smile, small children run for cover. I think its cool Ford would even consider, let alone do such a thing. I have also taken a liking to lopey, that all is well with the car if everything is not perfect then no lopey. The performance we enjoy with these cars is light years ahead of the old muscle cars. We do not need to cam the motor. Ford knew this and gave us lopey for FUN. So yes if you do not like it turn it off or use the silver key. For the rest of us , have some fun with the car and get lopey. If you do not yet have the track key that allows lopey, you can get the best deal at Levittown Ford $220. Most dealers want $302 don't ask how I know.

emcrace said:
Thanks Justin will do. I have spent a life time getting my performance and racing machines tuned to as close to pefection as possible. For example my full race Lotus Super 7 was a beast. It also hunted and bagged many Porshe's with only a 1600cc push rod motor. An I mean full race, sanctioned events. That car tuned properly with Webers half the size of the motor still idled smoothly at 700. To intermitantly just turn an injector off to poorly simulate a radical cam is childish. It does not sound even a little bit like the real Mcoy. Besides the sillyness after runing the Boss hard or missing a shift I can listen to a motor and get a very good reading of it's health. The lopey idle gives mixed signals that an old school tuner builder like myself does not want. Soory guys.

I think everyone agrees that the lopey idle feature of TK is not so "lopey" as it is, um, "shaky" (jittery?). But, a gimmick? i would argue "no."

First of all, the lopiness, minimal as it is, is not produced by intermittently shutting off an injector. It's produced by the Ti-VCT cam phasing changing the timing between the intake and exhaust cams in each cylinder head to produce more overlap. The same thing you'd do on a on old-school cam-in-block OHV V8 by swapping to a "bigger" than stock cam, TK does with software. I am guessing that -- and this is just an educated (i.e., butt dyno) guess without knowing the actual valve event numbers in TK vs regular key -- that the TK software changes cam timing not only at idle, but also to enhance low and mid-range power.

The idle parameters are limited by what they can get away with regarding emissions compliance, and if you'll recall, Ford Racing was late in coming out with TK in 2011 because they had problems getting it CARB certified in CA, ostensibly due to idle and low RPM / cold start issues. This is probably why the "lopiness" is somewhat disappointing, and why they have programmed in the TK engine warm-up parameters before the lopey idle function kicks in.

Also, TK software is adaptive to, or "learns" your driving habits. If all you do is drive around on the street and at mostly low speeds you'll find over time that TK idle smooths out. If you go to the track, though, and really run the car hard for a period of time (no idea what the temporal parameters are w/in the TK adaptive algorithms), some of the "lost" idle lopiness will return.

So, I say cut Ford Racing some slack and be grateful they even attempted to program in a little lopiness at idle, not to mention TK overall. It's not a gimmick; it a factory "tune" that is unique in the current automotive world, and does actually improve the car's performance feel and expand its performance envelope. That's no gimmick.

Sorry you seem to be reading a different post than mine. I have never slammed track key. I really admire Ford for it. You already know I am old sonny do you know what an scope is? Mine shows random short duration injector pulse just after idle stability. Sniffer in tail pipe does not detect rise in nox or hydrocarbons. Sorry check your facts you are wrong.

emcrace said:
Sorry you seem to be reading a different post than mine. I have never slammed track key. I really admire Ford for it. You already know I am old sonny do you know what an scope is? Mine shows random short duration injector pulse just after idle stability. Sniffer in tail pipe does not detect rise in nox or hydrocarbons. Sorry check your facts you are wrong.

Ah, okay... misunderstood what you were referring to in your original post about injectors shutting off. With your clarification it now makes sense, thanks.

Domestic Product

Well isnt that special, here are the facts from the development of the Boss.
From, Mustang Boss 302 by Donald Farr (official ford licensed product) page 116,quote,
" In their attempts to deliver the most awesome Boss experience, the engineers pushed the limits on many fronts. At one point during develoment of the quad exaust system, Brensky and Carney experimented with the timing of the cams to get a lopey, race car like idle. " ....... Buy the book its a great read. This is what spawned the track key.

Amen.

dabossinne said:
I think everyone agrees that the lopey idle feature of TK is not so "lopey" as it is, um, "shaky" (jittery?). But, a gimmick? i would argue "no."

First of all, the lopiness, minimal as it is, is not produced by intermittently shutting off an injector. It's produced by the Ti-VCT cam phasing changing the timing between the intake and exhaust cams in each cylinder head to produce more overlap. The same thing you'd do on a on old-school cam-in-block OHV V8 by swapping to a "bigger" than stock cam, TK does with software. I am guessing that -- and this is just an educated (i.e., butt dyno) guess without knowing the actual valve event numbers in TK vs regular key -- that the TK software changes cam timing not only at idle, but also to enhance low and mid-range power.

The idle parameters are limited by what they can get away with regarding emissions compliance, and if you'll recall, Ford Racing was late in coming out with TK in 2011 because they had problems getting it CARB certified in CA, ostensibly due to idle and low RPM / cold start issues. This is probably why the "lopiness" is somewhat disappointing, and why they have programmed in the TK engine warm-up parameters before the lopey idle function kicks in.

Also, TK software is adaptive to, or "learns" your driving habits. If all you do is drive around on the street and at mostly low speeds you'll find over time that TK idle smooths out. If you go to the track, though, and really run the car hard for a period of time (no idea what the temporal parameters are w/in the TK adaptive algorithms), some of the "lost" idle lopiness will return.

So, I say cut Ford Racing some slack and be grateful they even attempted to program in a little lopiness at idle, not to mention TK overall. It's not a gimmick; it a factory "tune" that is unique in the current automotive world, and does actually improve the car's performance feel and expand its performance envelope. That's no gimmick.

Domestic Product

I got mine pre-owned, so I did not get the owners welcome kit. I just saw the book on amazon Christmas shopping and thought it looked good. Any how its right there in the book how they got lopey and that lopey spawned the track key. As Ford knew no one wants to be lopey all the time just lopey sometimes.

TMO Supporting Vendors