The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Turning Off Traction Control and AdvanceTrac

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang, John, 6 weeks sounds wonderful. I probably will be lucky to get on the track in 12 weeks , if lucky.

Well, let us know when you get out there and post some pictures so those of us in Antartica can whine and chastise you, ha!

Yup, I am replying to a 7 year old thread. Please feel free to guide me to a separate thread if I missed it. I have a "regular" 2012 Boss 302. I am curious to understand what causes the stability control to turn back on after I have fully shut it off (holding the brake and button for 7 seconds...). This happens often at Autocross and rarely on track days. Is it heat? Is it an ABS event? Thanks for any and all replies.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
There is a way to shut it down so you have to actually turn it "ON" if you want to use it, the Ford engineer at Phoenix at the time said he would do that for me (he wrote my tune for the Gt500 ) but I decided that would not be a great idea. All I needed to do is jump into that beast on a rainy day and forget to turn it "ON".. then end up in a Youtube video

I have been autox a 2013 Boss in CamC for several years and I have had stability turn back on in a few instances. Seems like it would be when you get into a tank slapper type event. You may be able to manage it, but the computer doesn't think you can. Or a spin, comes back on most times during that also.
I have also been told if you don't do a key off and turn TCS back off when restarting between runs, it may turn back on easier. I have not experienced that much as I usually shut the car off between runs.
I still haven't switched to the racing ABS unit, other priorities on the car have taken up each years budget, but people I know that have used it for autox have had nothing but good things to say about it.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I autocross my Boss, CAM C, always turn off the traction control, except when I forget 🤪 . Also have the Track Key. I've never noticed mine turning back on after spinning it out. I'll have to watch for that next season. What I noticed is when I have done runs with the traction control not turned off. Delayed throttle response, feels like driving an early turbo car because of the throttle lag. You step it down coming out of a corner and nothing happens for a split second, then it suddenly wakes up and goes. Especially bad on the elements combining elevation changes while turning and anything off-camber. Its seems to be waiting for the car to either settle down or roll over.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Simple answer is “The programming”.

The system will continue to “Turn on” if certain conditions are met. The way around this is to install a Boss302S/R ABS module.

Kohr has the BA version. https://www.ebay.com/i/233516032841?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

CJ pony and others have the CA version. https://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-ra...-302s-race-car-2011-2014/p/M2353CA/?year=2013

Would you know if the module is a simple Plug n Play or is there some extra programming / reset involved ?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Would you know if the module is a simple Plug n Play or is there some extra programming / reset involved ?

plug and play.

remove air cleaner box, a few screws and unplug old, plug in new and reinstall air box. 30 minutes.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
You'll get some lights on the dash but nothing you can't ignore. I have the CA version and get no chime either. There were some who have reported this noise but I think this was with an older version.

I have been autox a 2013 Boss in CamC for several years and I have had stability turn back on in a few instances. Seems like it would be when you get into a tank slapper type event. You may be able to manage it, but the computer doesn't think you can. Or a spin, comes back on most times during that also.
I have also been told if you don't do a key off and turn TCS back off when restarting between runs, it may turn back on easier. I have not experienced that much as I usually shut the car off between runs.
I still haven't switched to the racing ABS unit, other priorities on the car have taken up each years budget, but people I know that have used it for autox have had nothing but good things to say about it.

Echoing Bob's comments, it sure seemed to help (before I had the FR Module) to turn the car off between runs. I would also power cycle the car in between Pro Solo runs after having it turn back on at the launch of a second run.

DaveW

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
This is something that I have been considering for my car. What is the difference between the CA and BA versions of the abs module?

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Here's a good read on it.

IMHO - you want the CA

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Lenoir City TN
Here's a good read on it.

IMHO - you want the CA

The BA version includes a bracket that isn’t needed for the S197.

Thank you for the info

This is a good thread to resurrect for those of us who are not original owners. I'm curious what effect Track Key has on the TC settings. I know I was able to slide the rear of the car both during off track control sessions and on track coming out of a tight corner (my instructor corrected me and I learned my lesson). I was also able to rotate the car during autocross with the throttle. I felt no restrictions from the computer. I had pushed and held down the button until the light on the dash lit up.

TMO Supporting Vendors