The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Turning Off Traction Control and AdvanceTrac

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I feel a bit ignorant that I have not played around with turning off the Traction Control System (TCS). I see there is also Electronic Stability Control (ESC), AdvanceTrac (AT) and AdvanceTrac Sport Mode (ATS). Any input for me as to which of these the Laguna Seca has and two, which should I be turning off during track sessions?

I think both Gary, Pete and John S. have a good perspective on this so hopefully they'll come along and comment. I just follow their lead. :D Regarding this topic there are no differences between the Boss and the LS.

Sesshomurai

I was experiencing some interference from stability control at high speeds with slight track elevation and/or slight turning radius. Very scary to say the least, when the car brakes itself doing 110 up the rising esses at VIR (while in a turn). Could have wiped out. This only happened after I added a bigger/tighter sway bar to the front (and bigger front tires) however, not sure if its directly related though.

When I disabled ESC/TC completely there was no more interference. Start the car, press the brake and hold the TC button for 7 seconds.

That is surprising it would apply brake despite not having touched the brake, and scary to say the least. Sounds simple to turn off, but do you need to do this each time you start the car for another track session? Any thoughts on what the AT Sport Mode is? My manual says it is not included in all models, but I am not sure which models have it.

Sesshomurai

Yes. I have to disable it before each session. But the 302r ABS module discussed in another thread is supposed to permanently disable it

As others have stated, need to "turn it off" each time. Kind of a pain but same on most other newer cars I have driven.

I have track key software and using the track key:

** On a track I have never driven before or if it is a cold first session, I use the advance trac setting (while not moving, hold brake pedal and push the traction control button twice). I find this allows the car to get a bit loose but noticed it does kick in if the tires begin slipping/spinning too much.

** Once I know a track and it is warm, I go fully disabled (while not moving, hold brake pedal and push and hold traction control button until TCS slip light comes on).

Let me just state that I have tracked for a while so I feel pretty comfortable with car control.

drano38

Wayne
If the track is dry, I run with all the nannies off by holding the switch down for 7 seconds.
If its wet, I'll run Sport Mode, which lets the car slide a little more than with all TCS engaged before engaging rear brakes to stop the oversteer. Last summer I was running BIR in the rain with Sport Mode, the back end let lose in a corner, and I could defiantly feel the brakes engage. Car straitened out in a heartbeat, and I was back on the gas, and on my way.
That said, driving in rain is dangerous. I was at a body shop a few weeks ago, and a friend's Porsche was there--he was driving in the rain, spun, and scrapped the passenger side on a wall.

It's a bummer my car is parked for the winter with battery pulled, so I can't try switching these settings. I am taking notes though so I remember next spring. Is the ATS Sport Mode something you turn on, and if so how? I guess I could probably look that up.

Wayne - If you go to BIR next summer, let me know as I am there frequently. I was not there on the rain day you described as I was lucky to have missed any rain days.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Don't worry about changing the settings now. The car doesn't stay in the last mode when you shut down and will be 'ON' when you restart. I use at least Sport mode which is set by holding the brake and quickly double tapping the TC button.

Base GTs have Sport available too. A friends 2010 has it and a non-brembo '13 has it.

drano38

Wayne
LS110 said:
Wayne - If you go to BIR next summer, let me know as I am there frequently. I was not there on the rain day you described as I was lucky to have missed any rain days.
Rain was in May.
I plan to be there for the last weekend in July for the Nord Stern Porsche event--3 days on the long course ;D--an outstanding event.
Another chance is with the North Star BMW club first weekend of June, but they drive the short course. Its fun, but I like the long course better.

I shut mine off after my 1st track session. I was coming out of a corner and the car felt weak and I remembered the t/c was on. I shut it off the next session and it would slid a bit in the corners.

I wonder if it could be shut off with a tune. I did it in my Shelby. That way I never forgot to turn it off.

drano38 said:
Rain was in May.
I plan to be there for the last weekend in July for the Nord Stern Porsche event--3 days on the long course ;D--an outstanding event.
Another chance is with the North Star BMW club first weekend of June, but they drive the short course. Its fun, but I like the long course better.

I am going to try and make the Nord Stern event. Sounds like Gary is planning to attend as well. The long course is fun as we can push the 150 mark and then test your nerve into turn one. I still can't get my brain to stop telling my foot to touch the brake coming into that turn. Looking forward to seeing how the new asphalt improves the track, and improves my tire life.

LS110 said:
I am going to try and make the Nord Stern event. Sounds like Gary is planning to attend as well. The long course is fun as we can push the 150 mark and then test your nerve into turn one. I still can't get my brain to stop telling my foot to touch the brake coming into that turn. Looking forward to seeing how the new asphalt improves the track, and improves my tire life.
I run with AdvanceTrac off at all times. It's the first thing I do when getting in the car whether on the street or track. I am a lot more comfortable driving the car loose than having the nannies intervene. I don't track in the rain as you can only lose, although if I did I guess I'd consider leaving them on in that case. It's foot on the brake and hold the button for 5 seconds until the message "AdvanceTrac Off" appears in the message center and the yellow light with the skid marks appears on the tach. I've had a couple instances where I didn't get it completely shut off on the track and it just really screws with your driving. I can't drive with them on but maybe I'm just a little too aggressive.

I'm planning on the Nordstern First Fling May 3-5 at BIR and the Club Race July 26-28th as well. I do tap the brake to set the car going into Turn 1 but yea that and Turn 2 will test one's man bearings. I'm really excited to see the new asphalt as well.

Your car looks phenomenal John!

Sesshomurai

Is there a difference between TC/ESC off/off and sport mode? Oddly enough I haven't tried sport mode.

I can't cite the differences exactly, but in one mode (the middle of the road, with just one off) it will disable the control that disables throttle input. It was VERY annoying at Summit Point in that little dip before you go up that straight under the bridge...it kept killing my power and I couldnt catch a damn 2.0 Turbo!

The 2nd setting (the TC, maybe) is the one that actually seems to put on the brakes. I have decided with my last visit to Watkins Glen I shall be disabling both from the get-go. At the glen in the section in the boot with a right hander that goes up a hill, there are a ton of bumps in the track. When Trying to accel up the hill it kept interfering and hitting the brakes and my father had to avoid running into me (which then caused a short train). I will probably never run with any of it on again.

Further still...I can't prove it nor have i done any research...I almost feel there is some slight TC built in on top of that. I can swear when I took the following turn (another right hander that you power out of in a low gear) I could hear a "sssvvvvvtttttttt" in my rear left like it was grabbing my back left to slow it down and prevent over steer. Again...I haven't investigated yet...just a consistent sound I was hearing every time...maybe it was the track surface or some slip...

ArizonaGT said:
Dude if that is your car in your sig pic and you don't know how to turn that stuff off, you're doing it wrong!
I think John's first track event was at Track Attack last August and I was really impressed how fast he came up to speed. He's still learning like all of us when we first got started.

Thankfully I do not have a big ego. And Gary is right that I am new to this so I am going to ask some many stupid questions. But hay, this is what I like most about this forum and the Boss itself, is all the new learning I am doing. Thanks to all of you that are giving me some great advice in this thread. Merry Christmas!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors