The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Two good laps at Hallett

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tulsa, OK
Here is a video of my two best laps at Hallett this past weekend. I ran a 1:33 and then a 1:32. It was just above freezing for the first session but warmed up to about 60 by the afternoon. I was on Nitto NT-05s all day. Enjoy 8)

[youtube]http://youtu.be/nckXJwLq2mQ[/youtube]

Tulsa, OK
This is the only track I've been on but I love it. This direction (CCW or normal) is my favorite but the last two times I've been we have gone backwards. I cut 8 seconds off my best time from my first trip back in May of last year. Going to throw some R6s on it later this month and hope to see some high 1:20s.

Your car sounds fantastic. Are you running E85 at the track?

Tulsa, OK
F.D Sako- Thanks and yes I have footage from the whole day and plan on putting a good highlight video together. I had a few fun passes and some off-track excursions. I hope to get something together shortly.

NFSBOSS- Much appreciated! I get compliments on my exhaust regularly and several people at the track commented on it as well. Definitely one of my favorite parts of the car. Yes I was running E85 all day. I was seeing about 4 miles to gallon on track :eek:

YellowBoss- I heel/toed some during the day but actually during this session I did not. I'm not that comfortable it yet to do it all the time. Although I should probably force myself to do it to improve...

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good lines and you look nice and smooth, so definitely time to work on heel and toe downshifting.

Thanks for posting and always enjoy watching vids of Hallett, even though I have not been down there for quite some time.

Tulsa, OK
Thanks Bill! Yep it's time to stop being a girl about heel/toe downshifting. I'll be back out there at the end of this month.

I've got to get it down before I head out to MPH later this year ;D

roadhouse said:
Thanks Bill! Yep it's time to stop being a girl about heel/toe downshifting. I'll be back out there at the end of this month.

I've got to get it down before I head out to MPH later this year ;D

Everyone will tell you that you need to practice on the street not the track. The first day I tried it on track I almost went off twice, so I stopped and continued non-track practice. Now I find I shift better on track dealing with higher RPM's then on the street but still, I always heal toe driving around town or at least position my foot in the proper place. It will happen, just not overnight, if I can do it anyone can.

YellowBoss said:
Everyone will tell you that you need to practice on the street not the track. The first day I tried it on track I almost went off twice, so I stopped and continued non-track practice. Now I find I shift better on track dealing with higher RPM's then on the street but still, I always heal toe driving around town or at least position my foot in the proper place. It will happen, just not overnight, if I can do it anyone can.

Did you learn heal-toe with the stock pedals?
i can't get my foot in a comfortable position with the stock pedals for a heal-toe.

F.D. Sako said:
Did you learn heal-toe with the stock pedals?
i can't get my foot in a comfortable position with the stock pedals for a heal-toe.

Yes, I wanted to change pedals but figured if I could learn with them I can do that much better with pedals setup for heal toe. Once you get use to them they are not so bad, you do need to get you foot in the exact spot each time with the factory pedals, there is no room for error. Funny thing is that my fastest lap at both Daytona and Sebring to date is during periods when I could not get the car into gear on the down shifts.

Tulsa, OK
YellowBoss said:

I've been practicing on the street for awhile now and have tried it a few times at the track with varying levels of success. The SRP pedals really help me with being able to get my foot over to the gas. As you said, it will come along at some point...

I make all sorts of noise coming up to a stop while street driving. H/T shifting + loud exhaust= a lot of attention :) haha

TMO Supporting Vendors