The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

TWS 6.3.17

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Returned to the track on Saturday. Rain was in the forecast, but it held out. I had an instructor at first, but eventually got passed to solo. I ran the session below with no electronic aids and no timing. Timing was making me push things and when I did that, I got tunnel vision and wasn't looking ahead enough. That is something I really need to work on. So I turned off the times, turned off nannies and tried to back it down a bit.

I'm sure the times were slower, but all is good. Time will come. I realize I have to work at this stuff...im not a natural.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

DFW, TX
Hard to tell on my crappy laptop, but it looks like you aren't using the brakes hard enough. Of course you may be doing that on purpose not to abuse them.

Before turn 4, cheat over a little bit more to the left as you cross the back-straight. You can make turn 4 just a tad easier that way.

Between apex of turn 5 you can probably hit the gas very briefly rather than just maintaining throttle, but then you have to get harder on the brakes entering 6, which is easy to mess up the decreasing radius.

Can't tell how hard you are on the gas after the apex of turn 7, but the banking helps glue you to the track, but then again you have to use more brake before you get to turn 8.

If you mess up T14/T15 you kill everything on the big end. Being able to get on the power early and accelerating hard out of T15 is important. Don't fight the car too much coming out of T15, but that is one place you can hit something solid if it all goes wrong...

(I'm bored sitting in a hotel room, traveling on business... not trying to nit-pick your driving. My 289 powered, vintage legal 65 Mustang would do sub 2:00 lap there if the planets were aligned and I drove the sh*t of it using 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear in the four speed toploader. The same cars are a few seconds a lap faster now... I haven't driven my GT350 there yet.)

Hard to tell on my crappy laptop, but it looks like you aren't using the brakes hard enough. Of course you may be doing that on purpose not to abuse them.

Before turn 4, cheat over a little bit more to the left as you cross the back-straight. You can make turn 4 just a tad easier that way.

Between apex of turn 5 you can probably hit the gas very briefly rather than just maintaining throttle, but then you have to get harder on the brakes entering 6, which is easy to mess up the decreasing radius.

Can't tell how hard you are on the gas after the apex of turn 7, but the banking helps glue you to the track, but then again you have to use more brake before you get to turn 8.

If you mess up T14/T15 you kill everything on the big end. Being able to get on the power early and accelerating hard out of T15 is important. Don't fight the car too much coming out of T15, but that is one place you can hit something solid if it all goes wrong...

(I'm bored sitting in a hotel room, traveling on business... not trying to nit-pick your driving. My 289 powered, vintage legal 65 Mustang would do sub 2:00 lap there if the planets were aligned and I drove the sh*t of it using 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear in the four speed toploader. The same cars are a few seconds a lap faster now... I haven't driven my GT350 there yet.)

Thanks for the input. You are correct, I'm not braking enough. I said that to my instructor. I'm not worried about abuse per se.

I also see your point with turn 4. Between turn 5 and 6, I have to realize the little banking there and know I'm not going over, lol. Same with turn 7.

Still learning the car control and how to push this. I was a little more hesitant on that last video due to turning the nannies off and trying to be smooth.

Thanks is for the eyes/advice. I need all the help I can get.

I'm doing an autocross this weekw d to work on vision and car control to learn what it can do before spinning. That will help on track.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looks like you're having fun. FWIW I don't keep lap times, I'm driving my car to and from the track and want to leave in one piece. If I ever buy a dedicated track car I trailer to the track then I'll start keeping lap times. What I do instead is try to pick up speed by being as smooth and consistent as possible. I push it at my own pace and what I feel comfortable with. My goal is to have fun and of course passing cars more expensive is fun. :)

You look like you have a nice easy grip on the shifter so that's good. Keep looking up and past the next corner. But when doing so don't cheat on your turn ins. Make them deliberate and hit your marks.

TMO Supporting Vendors