The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Types of tunes if any difference

236
2
Hey guys,

I want to know if there is any different types of tunes for different races.

If there is any different types plz provide, ex. autocross tune, track tune, drag tune, daily driving tune, things like that

Thanks
 

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
eng90 said:
Hey guys,

I want to know if there is any different types of tunes for different races.

If there is any different types plz provide, ex. autocross tune, track tune, drag tune, daily driving tune, things like that

Thanks

AED makes different tunes, I have three diferent tunes from them: Road Racing , Performance, and Lopey Idle
 
236
2
Tucson302 said:
AED makes different tunes, I have three diferent tunes from them: Road Racing , Performance, and Lopey Idle

Can you explain the difference between them ??

I'vs read sumwhere that there is engine break tune or sumthing like that. What is that ?
 
1,281
3
Tulsa, OK
Here are the changes AED makes for a road course tune as compared to a performance tune:

Disabled advance track / traction control like the Drag tune
Richer Air Fuel at WOT
Fans turn on earlier
Lower ignition timing programmed
Engine braking

Shaun HIGHLY recommended you run 5 octane points MORE than normal when on the road course, or run E85. I guzzle down the corn :p
 
236
2
roadhouse said:
Here are the changes AED makes for a road course tune as compared to a performance tune:

Disabled advance track / traction control like the Drag tune
Richer Air Fuel at WOT
Fans turn on earlier
Lower ignition timing programmed
Engine braking

Shaun HIGHLY recommended you run 5 octane points MORE than normal when on the road course, or run E85. I guzzle down the corn :p

So u mean drag and road racing tune are same right ??

Abd what is engine braking ? I dont know what it is
 
eng90 said:
So u mean drag and road racing tune are same right ??

Abd what is engine braking ? I dont know what it is

I'm assuming no, because road races are longer in duration, so tunes may be more conservative than drag racing tunes.
 
1,281
3
Tulsa, OK
eng90 said:
So u mean drag and road racing tune are same right ??

Abd what is engine braking ? I dont know what it is

No they are not the same. AED disables AdvanceTrac/TC on both their road race and drag tunes.

Drag tunes are similar to the performance tunes except for turning off all the nannies and allowing the throttle to hang between shifts. Helps with no-lift shifting.

Engine (compression) braking refers to the closed-throttle partial vacuum effect on the engine when you're off the throttle. These engines engine brake a little in stock form but with tuning you can increase it. Basically, when you let off the throttle the car's engine works to slow you down a bit.
 
roadhouse said:
Engine (compression) braking refers to the closed-throttle partial vacuum effect on the engine when you're off the throttle. These engines engine brake a little in stock form but with tuning you can increase it. Basically, when you let off the throttle the car's engine works to slow you down a bit.

....and as a plus you get some decent backfire :D
 
236
2
Coool , yeah about thaat backfire and burpling exhaust when i lift my leg of the gas pedal , i want that too .. Can that be be done ?? Is it included in aed's tune ??



And i ddnt understand what is meant by " allowing throttle to hang between shifts which helps with no lift shifting " , can u explain that in simple words ?
 
236
2
From what ive read aed makes best tunes right ??

Ive also heard alot of good stuff about hmp too, how is it compared to aed ??

can the online tuning be as good as if the car is tuned in their dyno live, or it will be slightly less efficient if done by email tuning ??

We have local dyno tuners , if they would make the tune better live i would go for them but if it would be same thing and no efficiency difference i will do an email custom tunes
 

skwerl

tree hugger
51
0
No offense but you sound like a real rookie on the tuning thing. In the past when venturing into an area where I have little knowledge, I tend to do a lot of reading and research in order to find knowledgeable people in that realm.

I'm new to this forum and not familiar with the local protocols but IMO I would skip HMP and stick with a well known, reputable tuner with lots of positive history and reputation. I can suggest a half dozen or more who are all very skilled, and easily leave out another couple dozen equally as skilled. With so many good tuners available I find it easy to cull out marginal tuners, unknown tuners or tuners with lots of drama associated with their names.

The biggest difference between a dyno tune and email tune is your ability to datalog and follow up with providing your tuner with the info so he can refine your tune. A good email tuner can tune as well or better than a tuner with a dyno, and a dyno is not a guarantee that the tuner knows how to tune a car.

Stick with the biggest names in the Mustang community. Lund, Mid Atlantic Performance, VMP, AED, JPC and I'm sure several others. Do your homework, talk with a couple of them and pick one that you are comfortable with. Communication will be the biggest factor in nailing down your tune.

Also be aware that some forums are highly protective of their paid vendors and mods will edit or delete any negative comments about those vendors. Not all forums are equal.
 
I don't know if I can say the majority here use AED, I can only speak from my experience. Shaun does an excellent job of tuning via email. All you have to do is follow his instructions when it comes to data logging. Trust me when I say if I can do it you can do it.

I have a street tune with engine braking added. The backfire and gurgling was always there. When he added the engine braking the gurgling pretty much went away, it was replaced with just a little bigger backfire. I have done HPDE events a few times and have not had any issues with detonation or overheating.

Give Shaun a call or email him, you will be glad you did....
 
236
2
Is there anyone else to talk to for track race tune ??

Im just cheking the options i have b4 going for aed
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel
Top