The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

U tube Engine issues

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

In the V6L
Think of it this way: Ford's made somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 Voodoo engines and some of them have failed. If it was any other engine in any other car, it wouldn't warrant a mention on YouTube, but the Voodoo is a great draw for views and likes and that drives revenue for content creators, so every one that these guys can find gets showcased.

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
I have two friends with gt350's and both had motors replaced, one was bought back. Neither of them are on Youtube, forums or track driven. That makes Fords small little pool of failures really big in my pond. I'd still buy one though. lol

FWIW that Ryan guy has been banned from the FB Group Page... I should probably just delete this thread now.

Think of it this way: Ford's made somewhere between 25,000 and 30,000 Voodoo engines and some of them have failed. If it was any other engine in any other car, it wouldn't warrant a mention on YouTube, but the Voodoo is a great draw for views and likes and that drives revenue for content creators, so every one that these guys can find gets showcased.

I understood that only 3500 GT350's and 500 "R's" were being made per Yr so that makes approx 16000 to date. Just seems like its become a topic of discussion and something worth following up on. The link I posted was just one of quite a few mainly talking about Ford not wanting to cover. Don't recall a lot of 2012/13 Boss engine issues being reported.

In the V6L
A small number in 2015 plus five years of full production 2016, 17, 18, 19, and 20. I was guessing 5,000 to 6,000 per year. Even if it's only 4,000 a year, it's still a lot.

Ford's been exceptional about replacing Voodoo engines when they can establish that they haven't been modified. If they find evidence of engine mods or a tune, then you're on your own.

My main point, though, was that YouTube is about small business operators making money by getting people to click on their content. The Voodoo, the first American-made FPC engine in a sports car, attracts a lot of eyeballs if you can put up a headline with the word "VOODOO" paired with the word "FAILURE" in all caps, so broken Voodoo's get disproportionate attention. A Corvette or a Viper with a blown engine is a nothing burger by comparison.

My main point, though, was that YouTube is about small business operators making money by getting people to click on their content. The Voodoo, the first American-made FPC engine in a sports car, attracts a lot of eyeballs if you can put up a headline with the word "VOODOO" paired with the word "FAILURE" in all caps, so broken Voodoo's get disproportionate attention. A Corvette or a Viper with a blown engine is a nothing burger by comparison.[/QUOTE]

Actually early vipers and Zo6's had major engine issues with oil starvation and it was talked about within various owner groups of two to makes. Both GM and Dodge were always trying claiming owners fault. These issues were quietly resolved. My point is these cars were meant to be driven and not garage queens and Ford like others need to address any issues. Oh BTW even high $$ cars have issues that go un resolved...look up 911 IMS bearing failures and design issues with that went on for several years at customer expense. I am a loyal Ford guy but that doesn't mean I always side with them.

Update info....My son started his tech position at Ford dealer here in town a few weeks ago and they have replaced engines on 3 since he started, another one coming in this morning for evaluation of cust complaint of excessive oil use. His lead tech mentioned that they have reviewed 3 others in last several months or so all with this oil use complaint. All were under 25k miles The one coming in today was one of those previously reviewed but was judged to be "within spec" at that time but now cust. is indicating is worse. So something is going on. They are not allowed to open these engines up , just ship them back but seems like # 8 cyl is the problem area.

In the V6L
Update info....My son started his tech position at Ford dealer here in town a few weeks ago and they have replaced engines on 3 since he started, another one coming in this morning for evaluation of cust complaint of excessive oil use. His lead tech mentioned that they have reviewed 3 others in last several months or so all with this oil use complaint. All were under 25k miles The one coming in today was one of those previously reviewed but was judged to be "within spec" at that time but now cust. is indicating is worse. So something is going on. They are not allowed to open these engines up , just ship them back but seems like # 8 cyl is the problem area.
Is there any indication that the oil consumption problems are more common in any particular model year?

TMO Supporting Vendors