The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Uh oh - strange steering noise! (rt. turns only)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Help! I was making a sealed airbox for the Mustang a few nights ago - when I took it for a test drive the airbox worked great! however, when ever I made a right turn - actually when ever I turned the wheel even 1 degree to the right - I could hear a strange noise coming from what sounded like the steering column.

It was a faint hissing / electronic type whirling sound I swear it was in the car. I looked around to see if something was impinging on the shaft or something in the car against the steering wheel but its not. Is this the first sign of the EPAS steering rack failing? why only on right turns?

Why now! its $1000 plus install to put the Ford racing version in. I have stock control arm bushings just to save my steering rack. A lot of good that did.

It could be that my new super stiff cortex springs are putting more pressure on the rack (acting like stiffer bushings in the control arms?)

Help appreciated thanks.

I had a similar problem and in my case it way one of two things. The lower control arm bolts were loose or the lower control arm bushings were shot.

Memmer said:
I had a similar problem and in my case it way one of two things. The lower control arm bolts were loose or the lower control arm bushings were shot.

Very interesting!! I'll check the lower control arm bolts for tightness tomorrow. I knew the control arms had a noise TSB but that was a squawk over big slow bumps. Makes sense they might be loose after I got these stiff springs. I'll update tomorrow thanks Memmer

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Could've sworn that I replied to this thread...but in my old age, I must be thinking of another... ::)

Did you figure out this problem? I think is might be the driver side hub going?

Grant 302 said:
Could've sworn that I replied to this thread...but in my old age, I must be thinking of another... ::)

Did you figure out this problem? I think is might be the driver side hub going?

Its the bearing starting to make noise in the Maximum Motorsports camber plate. it comes and goes.. i assume all of this is a result of me street driving (limited) my 500 / 300 spring rate coilovers.

Grant that was my thread lol

Yes after replacing the right wheel hub the grinding noise completely disappeared. All under warranty!!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel