The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Uh ohh.. differential clanking and clanging!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My 2012 GT has been driven hard and beat on.. but never at an HPDE. I was corner carving a couple nights ago and notice a clanging sound around turns only that seemed to come from the diff area. it got worse and worse until I parked it and called a flat bed!

is it normal for the std. clutched diff to fail? my gears and bears are only a year old and there was zero gear whine.. all of this started last week when I put my new super stiff coilovers on. I stepped down to an 18mm bar in the rear but maybe my diff gave up.

Its got a 3.15 now, Rehagen said they would swap in a take off diff / ring an pinion for now that we get me running again w less money than a brand new torsen. i'm going with a 2.73 so I can do a couple standing mile events and not blow the engine at 7500 rpm in 5th :)

anyone else toast their diff? Thanks!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Are you sure it was the diff and not one of the bushings in your upper or lower control arms? There is also a bushing on the diff housing I would take a look at. They are all rubber and known to fail over time.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
That, and check all the nuts n bolts.

I think the stock GT T-Lok generates a bit of heat on track. Have you been changing the diff fluid regularly?

Good luck chasing down the noise and I hope it's a cheap fix.

Grant 302 said:
That, and check all the nuts n bolts.

I think the stock GT T-Lok generates a bit of heat on track. Have you been changing the diff fluid regularly?

Good luck chasing down the noise and I hope it's a cheap fix.

I was not tracking it. Some said it failed early because it was rebuilt w o friction modifier.. But I'll never know. It did happen after some spirited cornering under acceleration but that was normal.

Dean at Rehagen sold me a take off 2:73 rear axle assy. They are installing that now. I'll put my welded axle setup back in when I can afford a true track or torsen. I'll confirm when I pick the car up this week.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Understood. I know you weren't on track at the time, but track use will 'abuse' the fluid. I think with the Traction Lok, that you need to change fluid pretty frequently to prevent issues, or plan to rebuild often.

twistedneck said:
My 2012 GT has been driven hard and beat on.. but never at an HPDE. I was corner carving a couple nights ago and notice a clanging sound around turns only that seemed to come from the diff area. it got worse and worse until I parked it and called a flat bed!

is it normal for the std. clutched diff to fail? my gears and bears are only a year old and there was zero gear whine.. all of this started last week when I put my new super stiff coilovers on. I stepped down to an 18mm bar in the rear but maybe my diff gave up.

Its got a 3.15 now, Rehagen said they would swap in a take off diff / ring an pinion for now that we get me running again w less money than a brand new torsen. i'm going with a 2.73 so I can do a couple standing mile events and not blow the engine at 7500 rpm in 5th :)

Tough call, I was under the impression that the OEM T-Lok was pretty stout in and of itself BUT .... The clutches inside it are know to $hit the bed pretty quickly when asked to carve corners. Despite this though, I wouldn't expect a fried clutch pack to do what you describe. Instead I would just expect it to go full one leg with zero attempt at posi of any kind after the damage was done.

I wouldn't expect the new suspension itself to cause such an issue either BUT the madman behind the wheel of a Cortex suspended Stang is bound to break something OEM eventually 8)

I would be interested in hearing what the installer finds out after its torn down.

2013dibgt said:
Tough call, I was under the impression that the OEM T-Lok was pretty stout in and of itself BUT .... The clutches inside it are know to $hit the bed pretty quickly when asked to carve corners. Despite this though, I wouldn't expect a fried clutch pack to do what you describe. Instead I would just expect it to go full one leg with zero attempt at posi of any kind after the damage was done.

I wouldn't expect the new suspension itself to cause such an issue either BUT the madman behind the wheel of a Cortex suspended Stang is bound to break something OEM eventually 8)

I would be interested in hearing what the installer finds out after its torn down.

Got the car back from Rehagen, we swapped the entire unit from a gt w 3.55 traction lock. All issues fixed however the car is simply too torqey w the 3.55 resulting in tires going in to orbit .

twistedneck said:

Not sure if it the same prob but my diff needed to be res-shimmed after a few track sessions.
Somewhere I think I read that the torsen setup (is that what you have?) needs to be re-torqued after some initial settle-in miles.

TMO Supporting Vendors