The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Ulmi's Ford Mustang GT 4.6 V8 Cup Racer Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Colmar, FRANCE
Hi!

A little bit of update here.

First thing first, the day I got it home:

IMG_20220716_145451.jpg

That was a 1800km (~1100 miles) trip to the very end of Netherlands.

IMG_20220717_170748.jpg

After a quick check, it appeared that I had a broken front control arm.
I fixed it by buying Ford Performance parts, story here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/threads/whats-are-the-best-front-control-arms.18856/

IMG_20220811_091727.jpg

After an alignment, I was able to do the first try on track!

Actually, I was not really pleased, the seller gave me very old slicks, and the engine overheated quickly, after like 5 or 6 laps.
My local track is not very long, so it's a little bit hard for cooling, and it was a very hot day, over 34°c (~93°f).

I decided anyway to refresh all the cooling system with brand new radiator, water pump, thermostat, expansion tank cap and coolant.

I find that the OEM radiator is very small, beside what I'm used to with my old BMW.
So I went with a Mishimoto, wich is 2x thicker, 50mm vs 25 ( 2 vs 1 inch).

IMG_20220826_151455.jpgIMG_20220826_163234.jpg

I bought the Motorcraft PW496, that was indicated compatible with this engine.

IMG_20220826_153032.jpg

I was surprised to see that the propeller has a larger diameter than the one that was on the car. I checked and try to fit, and it was ok so I figured it would be good.

I found in the same time another problem, the cooling fan was not kicking in, and after some investigation, the connector in the fuse box just melted...

IMG_20220903_184637.jpg

I fixed that and added a switch inside to manually operate the fan, through a relay.

After that, I was able to test it again!

IMG_20220904_200304.jpg

Oooops, no, I forgot the old tyres.

So I ordered a set of Hoosier S100, to give them a try.

IMG_20220906_170757.jpg

Now I was ready!

Ok, went an evening with friends at the track, and had a drive.

Wow!
This car is simply amazing.
It's not different to drive than my previous M3.
It's more stable in corner, I guess thanks to its greater width.
I was impressed at how early I can go full throttle on a corner, the limited slip differential is doing a great job here.

Here is a video of this first evening, filmed from a buddy's M3, similar in performance to my previous one:

IMG_20220908_180511.jpg

I'm really pleased, the car is working perfectly.

I took it to the track another evening, and it was very cool too.

Here is an inside video:

IMG_20220908_195814.jpg

Next thing I'll do is take it to the dyno, to check engine's health. After 2 gas tanks of track driving, it did not burn any oil, I'm happy with that :)

* The only complain I have is the gearbox. It's perfect in the first 4 gears, but the 5th is really really really too long! :eek: What is the best option for that? Is a shorter 5th available for this gearbox? Or better to find / put another gearbox? Or just live with that?
* My front tyres only lasted 3 evenings, and are completely worn. Maybe I'm putting a little bit too much stress on them from my driving style, but I find that very quick wear though. I asked during the alignment to put zero toe in front, because that's what was good on my BMW. Maybe there is a better setting, toe in, toe out? I have about -4° of camber. Or it is just due to the engine weight and there is nothing to do?

Thanks for reading ! :)

IMG_20220907_183959.jpg

Last edited:
There is a .81 5th gear available for the TR3650.

I would reach out to him, I have talked to him a few times via email on my T45 and intend to buy parts from him for a rebuild over the winter.

I'm not sure I would jump at a 3.31 just to avoid 5th. Unless you are frequently in higher gears than you'd expect or the data shows you'd benefit from a longer gear.

I am super jealous you run at Spa, that's a hero track for me.

FWIW the BMW M3 was the target car for the Boss 302 program, the fact that your 3 valve GT can't quite hang hang with the M3 is not a condemnation of your GT, it actually is quite impressive that your car is that close. I bet you would find the same result if you compared your Gt with a Boss 302.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Fun stuff and thanks so much for posting as it is great for those of us in the US to see Mustangs running on tracks in Europe. As Blacksheep 1 noted, it really is impressive to see your car staying as close to the M3 as it is, since the 4.6 definitely does not have the torque or power of the 5.0 liter.

We all look forward to hearing any upgrades you make , along with videos of your Screaming Bumblebee on road courses around the European Continent!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel