Welcome to Track Mustangs Online

Join the BEST track enthusiast Mustang community on the web!

Register Log in

Upcoming Forum Software Upgrade - FYI

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Reaction score
It's almost tyme, but most of you already knew that. For those who understand software, it's not a surprise that we need to keep our software up to date - for security reasons above all others. It's necessary. What people won't like is that software updates usually mean that things will look and function differently. This isn't going to be like going from Windows Vista to Windows 10, but there will be some visual changes due to it being a major version update, and some things will work differently. I will do my best to keep things similar to what you're used to now, but chances are, some won't be happy. I'll apologize to those people now.

Cool new features will be coming! To name a few:

- The ability to upload videos directly to the site, instead of having to go to Youtube first and then come back here to paste the link to the video. There will be an Upload Video button in threads where you can upload it here directly to save you time, very similar to the Attachment process.

- The ability to quickly share individual posts (not just the thread) to various networks, or via email. This is useful for those who are interested in inviting people in to see what's being posted here. We want to make it easy to share specific posts, which will hopefully attract more quality members to join and interact.

- New homepage, where we'll highlight some of the newest posts, events, and "importantest" content from throughout the forum. :)

- Embedding media from other sources will be very simple to do. Paste a link to something on various popular media sites into a post and it will render without having to use any coding.

- After the upgrade I'll also install a system where you can create a profile for your Mustang to list all your mods, store photos, etc. These profiles will automatically be referenced in your signature, so that if anyone comes across your posts, they will see a small snapshot/thumbnail of your car's profile in your sig which they can click on and see all the info about your car.

- More emojis to choose from when you post messages - for those who like using them.

- Likes will become Reactions, with different options for reacting to a post (if we want that). I'll likely remove that functionality and work to keep the Like functionality the same as it is now for the time being.​

Now, to discuss a couple issues...

TapaTalk - RIP

I know Tapatalk has been used on this site for years. When I upgrade the forum software I will need to remove and reinstall the plugins, one of them being Tapatalk. The Tapatalk app has a few major issues that make re-installing it a deal killer. Quite a few forums have removed it over the past few years, and for good reason.

The first issue with TT is that the app ownership has been known to take user data from forums and sell it. With the new data privacy laws coming out, that makes it a major liability for forum owners. I don't want them having access to your user email address, IP address, browsing habits, etc. Next is that their terms of service states that by using the app, the forum owner grants ownership license of this site's content to the owners of Tapatalk - not good obviously. Another big issue is that some of the new features I'm planning for the site won't be available when viewing the site via Tapatalk. Features like the new "car profiles" and eventually a "tracks" system I'm planning. I want the user experience to be as consistent as possible no matter what kind of device you're browsing the site with. TT doesn't allow for that, and it can be buggy too.

I plan to make the mobile view of the forum as easy to use as possible. The new forum software is already very mobile friendly, but I will do my best to make it even more simple to use. Even then, I realize some will be turned off if we move away from Tapatalk. I know members like @flyhalf , @steveespo , @Jza1736 , @boardkat , @Boss2458 , @captdistraction , @The_Dead_Cow , @Drlee50 , @dirtroadtrip , @VTBoss302 , @Boone , @milehighgs , @Grant 302 , @Black Boss , and many others have been using the Tapatalk app.

Signatures

One of the things I come across quite a bit in the forum is broken images in signatures. I know some of it is due to the big Photobucket image apocalypse that took place a few years back. With the new signature feature I'm planning to add (mentioned above under cool new features) how many of you would object to me wiping out all the old signatures so we can start fresh? I know that's a pretty drastic step, but I think it would help clean out a LOT of broken image links. And it would help make room for the new car profile thumbnails.

That's all I have for now, but I will update this post if I think of anything else. The plan is to upgrade the forum software in the next week or two. I will post an announcement at the top of the site to give everyone a heads up. Feel free to post questions or concerns about the upgrade below.

Last edited:

Boone

TMO Race
Reaction score
Anything you need to do to solidify TMO as the best resource for Mustang owners is cool by me. I and others will figure it out, adapt, or ask you questions directly. Thanks for keeping us up to date. :)

boardkat

CAMtard
Reaction score
I like TT mainly for the simplicity of browsing new posts when I’m not at home - but it’s definitely buggy and chock full of ads not relevant to my interests (and sometimes even toeing the line of being NSFW). If you can make the forum iOS friendly in chrome, I’ll just keep a tab open and browse there instead.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Reaction score
I like TT mainly for the simplicity of browsing new posts when I’m not at home - but it’s definitely buggy and chock full of ads not relevant to my interests (and sometimes even toeing the line of being NSFW). If you can make the forum iOS friendly in chrome, I’ll just keep a tab open and browse there instead.
I use the site in Chrome on an iPhone 6. I’ll be testing it daily. The main thing people will miss about TT is the super trimmed down/scaled back feel. That will be tough to replicate without stripping out a lot of functionality but I hope to make the layout simple.

VoodooBoss

Rick
Reaction score
Bye bye TapaTalk. I never liked it or used it.

For the signatures they were wiped out when we switched to Zenforo too. I suggest members save their images now so they can reload them after the update.

Grant 302

OPM Spent: $665,833
Reaction score
Sounds good...except that I was never a tapatalk user? Wasn’t planning on it either.

Grant 302

Reaction score
‘Sokay. I was wondering if I’m leaving more of a digital imprint than intended!

Coz

TMO Addict
Reaction score
Everything sounds great but I'm not sure how to react to "Reactions."

What are the different Reactions?

I'd prefer to keep it simple. You either like it or keep your thoughts to yourself. Otherwise it could easily degenerate into a flaming session.

Of course, one can already do that by typing out displeasure but it takes some effort. Clicking an option makes it so much more impersonal.

Even if the various options are all positive in nature, will this result in some menu being presented with sub-selections?

Right now it shows who liked the post, and once it receives several it presents the total number of Likes.

Will the shift to Reactions result in a more cluttered appearance by listing the various categories of Reactions received?

Similarly, will the user Profile popup now list various categories of Reactions?

Sometimes less is more.

Thanks for offering us the opportunity to provide feedback.

Chris

Grant 302

Reaction score
That’s a great point coz.

One type of PM I get are questions from lurkers who are/were afraid to post. Fear of the dislike or any sort of negative feedback is already there for some.

I always encourage people like that who have PMd me — to get answers from the forum anyway.

We’ve already had accumulated likes dumped/reset back to zero once before. So it does seem a little irrelevant to keep tally.

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Reaction score
Everything sounds great but I'm not sure how to react to "Reactions."

What are the different Reactions?

I'd prefer to keep it simple. You either like it or keep your thoughts to yourself. Otherwise it could easily degenerate into a flaming session.

Of course, one can already do that by typing out displeasure but it takes some effort. Clicking an option makes it so much more impersonal.

Even if the various options are all positive in nature, will this result in some menu being presented with sub-selections?

Right now it shows who liked the post, and once it receives several it presents the total number of Likes.

Will the shift to Reactions result in a more cluttered appearance by listing the various categories of Reactions received?

Similarly, will the user Profile popup now list various categories of Reactions?

Sometimes less is more.

Thanks for offering us the opportunity to provide feedback.

Chris
Here's what the forum software uses in the newer version by default - this is what you would see when you hover over the Like link in a post:
upload_2020-1-16_9-1-9.png

And here's what it looks like when people have reacted to a post:
upload_2020-1-16_9-14-33.png

It's pretty similar to social media. When you go to click the Like link, as you hover, you can choose one of those options. Those reactions then show up at the bottom of the post. I can remove one or a few of the options if we want, and we can add new ones in, etc.

JAJ

TMO Addict
Reaction score
Here's what the forum software uses in the newer version by default - this is what you would see when you hover over the Like link in a post:
View attachment 11777

And here's what it looks like when people have reacted to a post:
View attachment 11778

It's pretty similar to social media. When you go to click the Like link, as you hover, you can choose one of those options. Those reactions then show up at the bottom of the post. I can remove one or a few of the options if we want, and we can add new ones in, etc.
If you can reconfigure the emoji's that come with the Like button, you probably should. The emoji selection in the example probably makes perfect sense if you're a social media addicted tween-ager, but I just find them repulsive.

302BOB

TMO Addict
Reaction score
It's basically what Facebook uses.
I'm a geezer, with NO facebook experience !!!...I come to TMO since I have a Boss and like to post my stuff and to intermingle with others of this site....!!!To make this Site more Geezer unfriendly than it's supposed to be will leave me out of the loop soon....................................Maybe that's what you want!!!!!!!!!!!

Ludachris

Chris
Staff member
Reaction score
I prefer the upvote/downvote mechanism a la reddit so maybe a thumbs up/thumbs down would be the analog here?
That would make sense for tech discussions, but I think they added in those others for all the other types of discussions that take place in forums (build thread posts or lap time posts come to mind, where the Wow reaction would get some use), and because it's something that has become popular on social channels and other platforms. I can remove all except the basic Like option if that's what the consensus is.

Last edited:

Grant 302

Reaction score
What about not using it all together?

While I use the current system, it’s a lazy and impersonal way to interact.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts