The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Upgrage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi,
I recently bought a 2006 v6 premium convertible. When I test drove it I heard a small clunking sound in the front. I assumed it was swaybar links or ball joints because one of my previous cars made the same noise and replacing the able solved the problem. I bought a kit that came with the driver and passenger side sbl, inner/outer tie rods, and driver and passenger side ball joints all for about $80.00 After install and alignment there is still a clunk.
Parts were TRQ from 11aauto.
These parts cannot be all that great for the cost they were, or are they great quality. I want to install the same front parts as mentioned earlier and the same in the rear. I drive this car only on the weekends or during the week days here and there. I use my other car for daily driving. The mustang will never be used for track use. Only street use and not for racing
on the street. I was told oem/motorcraft is the best to use
Then I was told only use Moog. I checked online and it seems like Moog is China made junk now or their parts are made everywhere.
Hmm? I also discovered Proforged--- any good? I want the suspension parts to be real strong and hold up for at least 2 to 3 years without cracking or breaking or coming apart.
I don t want to spend thousands of dollars on this upgrade either.
Finally what brand of struts do you reccomend? Complete struts or separate struts and separate springs or new struts using springs already installed now (oem)
What about rear shocks and who do you recommend to buy from?
Thank You all so much and God Bless

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I was told oem/motorcraft is the best to use

I agree here.

I’m not sure that ball joints are or were the problem in the first place, but this isn’t one of the places I would choose or recommend aftermarket parts.

Good luck with the fix or finding the source of the noise.

To those who replied to my post, thank you. I am sorry I didn't read the rules of this forum in full detail. I did not pay close enough attention to realize this is mostly for track use mustang
Owner of this website or forum moderator please remove me from this site or keep me on. I do not have any problem if you do.
Thank You
heyJ

To those who replied to my post, thank you. I am sorry I didn't read the rules of this forum in full detail. I did not pay close enough attention to realize this is mostly for track use mustang
Owner of this website or forum moderator please remove me from this site or keep me on. I do not have any problem if you do.
Thank You
heyJ

Relax, historically the mods on here are pretty accepting people. What you have brought up is an issue that could affect anybody on here track, or street. Just don't go out and buy a Watts link and we'll all be good

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
HeyJ

Welcome to the site!!

You dont have to be a track rat to be welcome here. A car helps. You have that. Its a Mustang which is good but not required.

Just know if you ask about alignment specs, tire sizes/types or anything specific. The answers you get will likely make your car turn, stop or handle better. It wont be cheap but it will perform.

Again, welcome.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Relax, historically the mods on here are pretty accepting people. What you have brought up is an issue that could affect anybody on here track, or street.
I agree, but FYI he was just reacting to a post that has since been deleted.

Just don't go out and buy a Watts link and we'll all be good
😁 👍 Now don’t scare off new people by unloading ALL your infinite wisdom on them!;)

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Thank You
heyJ
There's a whole spectrum between production line stock and all-out road-race that has a place in it for you somewhere that would put a little 'sparkle' in the way your '06 drives.

Perhaps the single best thing you can do for your car's suspension beyond merely repair and replacing same with same is to shop for shocks and struts a bit further up the food chain. You'll probably get a variety of suggestions (I hope so, anyway), I happen to like Koni Sports (aka "yellows"), which work just fine with early S197 spring rates once you've found the adjustment settings you like best (only a little off of full soft would be my guess here). "Composed" suspension behavior is what you're looking for, rather than a competition car's hard ride.

For many things, it's best to shop Motorcraft or Ford Performance. Moog at least used to be a top-shelf name (I've used them in the past on other cars).

Norm

HeyJ

Welcome to the site!!

You dont have to be a track rat to be welcome here. A car helps. You have that. Its a Mustang which is good but not required.

Just know if you ask about alignment specs, tire sizes/types or anything specific. The answers you get will likely make your car turn, stop or handle better. It wont be cheap but it will perform.

Again, welcome.
Thank you for the welcome and the advice

TMO Supporting Vendors