The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

"Urgent" - horn build needed by a state law abiding citizen

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Yes, you heard it right. I just took delivery on a Chicane23 2012 Boss 302 track monster that I will be driving to Gingerman to put some gentle miles on it, as it's barely been driven in the last 5 years. Everything for street use in Michigan checks out BUT a horn is stopping me. So, just in case I get pulled over on my 125 mile drive (no plates or anything on the car yet), I'm wondering if someone could let me know what I need to do - I can pick up parts at my local Autozone.

Thanks for any quick responses as my club is running tomorrow!

I have no idea what to tell you, but Kohr Motorsports and Paul's Automotive are both in Michigan and probably could guide you in the right direction

I assume that you've checked all the fuses and connections at the bottom of the steering column, and the horns themselves to make sure they are properly grounded... yes?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Would check with Capaldi Racing as they are just North of Detroit and they are a Sponsor of this site. Paul's Engineering is also a site sponsor but they are actually in Ohio , near Cincinnati.

Pretty sure Capaldi could help you out and congrats on the Chicane23 beast. Mine Boss S is down there right now getting a fuel cell installed , along with some other items.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I'm wondering if someone could let me know what I need to do - I can pick up parts at my local Autozone.
Do you have a multimeter or circuit tester? I’d start there. Check the manual or the internet for the appropriate fuses and wiring. For your sake, I hope the problem isn’t in the airbag cover on the steering wheel.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
I assume that you've checked all the fuses and connections at the bottom of the steering column, and the horns themselves to make sure they are properly grounded... yes?
No horn installed on the car. I just need one for a 135 mile drive, so I bought a switch, horn, and wire to hook up to my riding mower‘s battery that I’ll take with me just for the ride. That should be enough to satisfy the law.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Would check with Capaldi Racing as they are just North of Detroit and they are a Sponsor of this site. Paul's Engineering is also a site sponsor but they are actually in Ohio , near Cincinnati.

Pretty sure Capaldi could help you out and congrats on the Chicane23 beast. Mine Boss S is down there right now getting a fuel cell installed , along with some other items.
Thanks, Bill, so many options out here in the Dee!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Do you have a multimeter or circuit tester? I’d start there. Check the manual or the internet for the appropriate fuses and wiring. For your sake, I hope the problem isn’t in the airbag cover on the steering wheel.
Thanks Grant, no horn found though! No airbags, total w2w ready - Sparco steering with AIMS - I’ll do a build sheet, all Chicane23 elbow grease, after I get some pics this week.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Did they remove the horn completely and the wiring? I know I turned mine upside down when I put in a CAI and it now sounds like a mouse fart.
You got it Tyme - no horn present. A mouse fart should be sufficient for this build, sound just needs to be audible 200 feet away.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Here's our solution - thank God for my son's Godfather who showed me the way!

H=horn
S=switch
B=battery from my riding mower

That should get me out to the track, $30 out of pocket's not too bad! No side windows so we zip tied the horn to a roll bar and off we go.

Thanks for all your input, it's great to know help is out there when needed. Let's hope our track days are filled with excitement and easy-to-solve problems.

4C578D01-0A45-406F-B495-B7B97AB28FD6.jpeg

TMO Supporting Vendors