The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Using Airaid PJ Cold Air Intake on 2013 BOSS with Track Key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My car is 100% stock right now with the Trackey. Will the Airaid intake be compatible while using the Trackey?

It seems like this is the only intake that works with the car without requiring tuning but will it also work well with the red key in use? I love the Trackey and won't do anything to make it worse or less reliable. I don't race so truthfully, an intake on this car for me is more of the looks factor than anything else.

Are there any other intake kits on the market that work well with this car that also will not require a tune and still work well with the Trackey?

I don't want to have to worry about tuning and re-tuning etc. Although I know more performance gains can always be had with a proper / legit tune, that is just something I don't want to get into with this car.

Thanks in advance guys!

The Airaid CAI will work with and without a tune. The unit is shipped with a sleeve that restricts the air and allows you to run with the stock tune (black or red key). If you choose to tune the car and take advantage of the extra air, you can remove the sleeve and run your new tune.

I have the same unit, and its great piece.

I guess I am concerned about the fact that the track key "tune" is based off of the oem intake and I'm wondering if the new intake would throw off that "tune" in any way? I know there is a mass air tube / adapter which makes the intake ok on a non tuned car, but is that still ok when the track key is in use?

I think your answer is yes judging by your reply, I just am making certain.

Thanks for the info :)

I've been running the Airaid intake with TK tune for a year and a half with no issues. Don't give it a second thought.

IMG_2032_zpsc0feb852.jpg

WorldFamousZ said:
I guess I am concerned about the fact that the track key "tune" is based off of the oem intake and I'm wondering if the new intake would throw off that "tune" in any way? I know there is a mass air tube / adapter which makes the intake ok on a non tuned car, but is that still ok when the track key is in use?

I think your answer is yes judging by your reply, I just am making certain.

Thanks for the info :)

I have purchased and installed a BBK Cold Air Intake without a tune and it works just fine. I have Trackey installed as well and there is no issues or difference in its behavior because of the CAI. Ford did a good job on the factory CAI and really does not need to be changed but many of us have done so either for cosmetic or other reasons. JMO

WorldFamousZ said:
My car is 100% stock right now with the Trackey. Will the Airaid intake be compatible while using the Trackey?

It seems like this is the only intake that works with the car without requiring tuning but will it also work well with the red key in use? I love the Trackey and won't do anything to make it worse or less reliable. I don't race so truthfully, an intake on this car for me is more of the looks factor than anything else.

Are there any other intake kits on the market that work well with this car that also will not require a tune and still work well with the Trackey?

I don't want to have to worry about tuning and re-tuning etc. Although I know more performance gains can always be had with a proper / legit tune, that is just something I don't want to get into with this car.

Thanks in advance guys!

Yes, it works and as it has been stated you must have the Venturi Sleeve in place so you do get trouble codes.
One more important point. Make sure when you order the Airaid PJ, that the seller confirms the unit has the sleeve in the box. There have been some shipped without it!!!

fbbob96 said:
What exactly is a venturi sleeve? Anyone know what part number is correct? Airaid has 5 different intakes listed on their website. Thanks

#453-174 is the model with the Blue Dry Filter.

Venturi is the sleeve insert that can be removed. When its left in, you don't need a tune.

Call Airaid customer service, they will explain.

Does Airaid make an intake that is for the BOSS that is not in CF by any chance? Their site is a bit confusing on this question.
Also, their site only lists the CF intake for the 2012, I am assuming that it also fits the 2013 or is there something I've overlooked?

(I barely brought the car back home last night so although I've been reading up a ton on the car overall I have yet to really even look it over in person)

WorldFamousZ said:
Does Airaid make an intake that is for the BOSS that is not in CF by any chance? Their site is a bit confusing on this question.
Also, their site only lists the CF intake for the 2012, I am assuming that it also fits the 2013 or is there something I've overlooked?

(I barely brought the car back home last night so although I've been reading up a ton on the car overall I have yet to really even look it over in person)
The 12/13 engines are the same so fitment shouldn't be an issue.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
WorldFamousZ said:

they do make it in plastic as well.
http://www.americanmuscle.com/airaid-cai-2011gt.html

That intake is listed for the GT. I know the GT and BOSS intakes differ slightly fitment wise and know that the GT intakes will "work" but don't they have an option specifically for the BOSS in plastic?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
WorldFamousZ said:
That intake is listed for the GT. I know the GT and BOSS intakes differ slightly fitment wise and know that the GT intakes will "work" but don't they have an option specifically for the BOSS in plastic?
yeah the only other CAI that I know that was made to fit exactly to the boss is the Steeda Boss CAI that I own but that requires a tune for sure.

Thanks for all the info guys! I'll make my decision about the CAI later down the road I guess. I like the "looks" but told myself I wouldn't start modding the motor in ways that need custom tunes etc. One of the reasons I purchased the BOSS over any other car was because I didn't NEED much else especially in the power dept.

Thanks again everyone!

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
WorldFamousZ said:
Thanks for all the info guys! I'll make my decision about the CAI later down the road I guess. I like the "looks" but told myself I wouldn't start modding the motor in ways that need custom tunes etc. One of the reasons I purchased the BOSS over any other car was because I didn't NEED much else especially in the power dept.

Thanks again everyone!

I have this installed and it's the only underhood mod I have made and it was simply for looks. No issues with TK or regular key and it makes cool sounds when the hood is up ;D

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Did the install last Friday and not only like the way it looks but the car seems to be running great. TracKey or not doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

TymeSlayer said:
Did the install last Friday and not only like the way it looks but the car seems to be running great. TracKey or not doesn't seem to make much of a difference.

Did you use the MVT or leave it out?

If out; throwing a code?

Thanks

TMO Supporting Vendors