The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Using Airaid PJ Cold Air Intake on 2013 BOSS with Track Key

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have the same setup with the addition of a BBK 90mm throttle body. I made the initial mistake of only using Airaid's website which didn't specify Boss 302 for 2013. I didn't think it was much of a difference, but it is. I got it to hook up, but had to be creative as everything just wouldn't slip on as easily as the instructions say. I just ended up getting the 2012 PJ kit and swapped the tube. It slipped right in place just as I thought the original one would. Gonna ebay or craigslist the parts as one kit for a GT to recover some of the $. I have Trackey also and at first the lopey idle wasn't as pronounced as before, but the PCM is still doing some adjusting. Nothing negative and I don't think there are any big gains, if any.

I did run into an issue with what I assumed was water getting into intake. I read about it previously and some said, no problem. I witnessed it and car went into limp mode with yellow wrench on dash. It went away on it's own. I got the Airaid 'water' shield for 2013. They sent it for free, just had to provide a picture of installed intake. I did not install it. I got an Airaid pre-filter instead. I also picked up a JLT foam insert that blocks the front few inches of the hood vent so water does not drop into the intake area and is directed further back. I also wonder if I didn't get some water in through the normal intake path by the grille. I have my fog light delete plates out and I think at least some water could be drawn up that way. They said they needed the block offs for some "snow" (forget the specific term) issue. I wonder if the snow collected inside there and blocked the intake pipe.

Either way.....it looks good and I have actually seen the intake temp show a degree or two below ambient (not sure where external temp probe is). However, it climbs when sitting idle way more than the OEM intake setup ever did.

To those who have replaced their cold air with the Airaid (non-tune version) do you hear the "throaty" intake sound like the older cars of the 60's?

GR8WYT

Throaty like a old four barrel? No

You are removing the sound tube? I have the Airaid CF CAI. And Trackey, the sleeve is in until I wish to go on to a custom tune. Yes there is an improvement in sound from the stock box, if you have not removed your exhaust discs I recommend that as well. Yes the stock CAI is absolutely fine, the look is much cleaner and it was quite easy to install. I wish I had one hand signed, got in too late for that but I got mine in the 400's before the price increase.

LOVE IT and I get a lot of compliments. Most I know have JLT.

powershift46 said:
To those who have replaced their cold air with the Airaid (non-tune version) do you hear the "throaty" intake sound like the older cars of the 60's?

As GR8WYT said, if you haven't, you need to remove sound tube :
http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_SPD_Kit.shtml

This is the first step to clean up Engine compartment and it sounds much better in the cabin.

Yes, the CAI gives it a better sound.

GR8WYT

Thank you for the Cooltech STD, URL. I should have said that, thanks for picking me up on that one...... 8)

i just contacted airaid and they will be releasing soon a boss cai not in carbon fiber but the normal black plastic

here is the info -

Thank you for your inquiry. We are in the final stages of testing the fit of a system for the Boss 302 that will use the standard polyethylene plastic tube instead of the carbon fiber. While I do not have an exact release date as of yet it will be very soon. The price for this kit will be $389.99 with the oiled filter or $399.99 with the dry. I will keep your information on file and will get back in touch with you as soon as we have these kits available.

GR8WYT

If you rely solely on Ford's TSB (TSB 11-7-7), any aftermarket CAI is not a warranty item. I could care less, I can't sit on a car for 3 years waiting. I put 2-2,500 miles a year on mine and it has yet to be tracked as I need more equipment. I'll take my chances :)

TSB 11-7-7
AFTERMARKET POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE CALIBRATION—NON-FACTORY MODIFICATION OR AFTERMARKET COMPONENTS

FORD:

2011-2012 Mustang
2011 F-150

ISSUE

Some 2011 F-150 and 2011-2012 Mustang vehicles
equipped with 5.0L engine may have unauthorized
modifications to the powertrain hardware and/or
calibration which may result in exceeding
component design limits. Such modifications could
cause damage to the powertrain and/or void the
factory powertrain warranty.

ACTION

Follow the Service Guidelines.

SERVICE GUIDELINES

Inform owners that the current 5.0L calibrations
adjust fuel and spark settings for maximum
performance with production hardware, while
protecting the engine over a wide range of
operating conditions. This includes a knock sensor
calibration enabling optimized performance based
on fuel grade usage see Owner’s Guide for details.
Aftermarket hardware and calibrations risk damage
to the engine.

Unauthorized calibration modifications may or may
not be detectable using standard tools Integrated
Diagnostic System (IDS), Portable Diagnostic
Software (PDS), NGS+ VCM. Changes can be
made to the calibration and flashed to the
powertrain control module (PCM) through the
on-board diagnostics (OBD) port. Physical
modifications to the hardware may or may not be
present. If aftermarket power/torque-increasing
modifications are suspected, care should be taken
to record and store the following items: Permanent
diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs), pending DTCs,
freeze frame data, mode 6 and mode 9 data. The
data should be printed and attached to the repair
order for later reference.

The DTCs, freeze frame data, mode 6 and 9 data
can be obtained by using the IDS, PDS or
NGS+VCM under tool box selection. The powertrain
tab will provide the OBD test modes tab and mode
6 and 9 data selection after the vehicle has been
identified.

Attempting to increase the engine output via
recalibrating the PCM may result in poor drivability,
DTCs, or component failures. A partial list of
calibration induced component failures is given
below:

Excessive Cylinder Pressure And Temperature

Piston damage

Spark over-advanced (knock-induced damage)

Insufficient enrichment

Catalyst damage
Increased RPM Limit/Overspeed

Piston damage

Connecting rod damage

Oil pump damage

Catalyst damage

Clutch damage
Knock Sensor Calibration Changes

Piston and/or ring damage due to improper knock
control
Hardware Modifications:

The following list contains items that are frequently
modified in an effort to increase the engines
torque/power output. Modifying these items may, or
may not improve the performance, but can lead to
drivability issues, DTCs and possibly component
failures:

Air induction system (air box, air filter, zip tube)

Super chargers
NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do
the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper
vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by “do-it-yourselfers”. Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a
Ford or Lincoln dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine
Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article.The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was
current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates.The most recent information is available
through Ford Motor Company’s on-line technical resources.

Copyright ã 2011 Ford Motor Company Online Publication Date July 1, 2011
PAGE 1

TSB 11-7-7 (Continued)

Nitrous oxide systems

Throttle bodies

Exhaust air path/system
Review Engine Damage:

Common failures associated with unauthorized
modifications have included:

DTCs present indicating cylinder misfires (P0300 P0308)

Cylinder/piston damage resulting in a misfire, low
compression, noise

Unusual Clutch wear/damage

Piston damage - light knock (Figure 1) Figure 2 - Article 11-7-7

Piston damage - heavy knock (Figure 2)

Evaluation Guidelines Chart (Figure 3)
Figure 1 - Article 11-7-7

PAGE 2

TSB 11-7-7 (Continued)

Figure 3 - Article 11-7-7

WARRANTY STATUS:
Information Only - Not
Warrantable

PAGE 3

This is the 'rain shield' for the 2013's, installed, havn't seen anyone post a pic of it before. Not quite as pretty as without it tho' but it rains plenty here in the UK.............. :(

IMG_7465_zps221a6ed0.png

just got an update from airaid -

I wanted to follow up with you and let you know we now offer the intake for the Boss 302 with the standard roto-molded plastic intake tube. This kit is available with our oiled filter for $389.99 or the dry, no-oil synthetic filter for $399.99 in both red or blue. Let me know if you have any additional questions or would like to get a kit on order.

TMO Supporting Vendors