The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Utah Motorsport Campus Sold - good news for Ford Performance Racing School!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
At least one would think this was a strong bit of news for the permanency of the facility and our favorite school. Mitime Utah Investment, LLC ( subsidiary of Geely Holding Company which builds Volvo and Lotus among other brands) has purchased the track for close to 18.5 million. Mitime has been running it for the past few years, but rumors abounded and finally we have a situation where the track will continue and according the press releases the area will even expand. Geely is a growing Chinese Automotive Company and this should be seen as a solid base for them to do testing in the US and assist them with their racing pedigree -- they are working heavily in the Formula 4 Racing Series in China and the Far East. Great news, because many of us feared the track would close and the rumors were pretty awful at times. I love this track, so am excited to see someone purchase it and one has to imagine the school has an extended lease on life?!

Great news, for sure,for our racing community, in this tyme of many financial failures. Kmart is gone here, Sears gone by the end of the yr, today we learned Lowe's is closing a store nearby.China must be doing something right.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Amazing to me, since the Yuan is down quite a bit, and the dollar is up a lot, so for this to be completed is solid for track aficionados!! Just glad the lease on life for our favorite Racing School is likely very secure and will continue for years to come!

Good news but I would have preferred a more track specific organization to purchase it. Like Speedway Motorsports. But at least it's future will be much clearer for the next few years.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Agree Voodoo, but with some of the rumors and possible loss of the track and the land being used for other purposes, glad someone stepped up to keep Larry Miller's dream alive.

Utah
I have run UMC with NASA Utah for about 5 years now and have been through the entire saga. Running the 1/2 day “Mustang Experience” twice and the Ford Racing School 1 day program, got me hooked. I always loved the S197 Mustang so the rest is history. (Does this sound familiar to anyone?)

1. I say, Honey, I want to buy a car and start going to the track. She says, “You want to what?”
2. “Hey this Mustang is pretty fun to drive to the grocery store”. I am glad you like it dear, drive it anytime you want.
3. “How much money are you spending on that car?” Well, I have a spreadsheet if you want to see it. “Probably best not to look, she says.”
4. “Where did you get that wing?!?!?, I can’t drive it to the grocery store with that thing on there.” Yes, precisely…

I will say I don’t have any inside knowledge other than being there through the whole thing. The sale should have happened 3 years ago. But it has been year to year since then so it is great to have the sale finalized. LET MORE MODS BEGIN!

Everyone I talk to, including the NASA Utah staff, race shops etc. are excited about working with MiTime. When the track was sold the first time, MiTime was very good at reaching out to the different groups that had an interest at the track. They have continued to do so as they have operated the track over the last 3 years. So the future is now bright for those of us that love to drive there.

With regard to the Ford Performance Racing School, we only hope that they stay in Utah. Unfortunately, the County did not allow any contract negotiations this year as the sale was proceeding, when FRPS was trying to secure the location past 2019. Word around the paddock is not entirely positive that FPRS will stay there beyond 2019. I am hopeful as I have friends that work there and love to see the cars there during the NASA days, and I really think they helped put MMP on the map and continue to make UMC a destination race track. Here’s hoping that UMC can make it happen and we keep the FPRS there for many years to come.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Now where have I heard this all before?

1. I say, Honey, I want to buy a car and start going to the track. She says, “You want to what?”
2. “Hey this Mustang is pretty fun to drive to the grocery store”. I am glad you like it dear, drive it anytime you want.
3. “How much money are you spending on that car?” Well, I have a spreadsheet if you want to see it. “Probably best not to look, she says.”
4. “Where did you get that wing?!?!?, I can’t drive it to the grocery store with that thing on there.” Yes, precisely…

Love that Tooele track. It's the birthplace of my track addiction.

TMO Supporting Vendors