The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

V6 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I did some searching here on the forum and noticed there were very few v6 mustang members on here. I know many people think that the v6 mustang is more of a commuter car but I see potential in the Cyclone engine. It revs high and is very peppy. The v6 mustang weighs less than the v8 mustangs and the cost is less. With 305hp stock, it is a potent engine to start building a foundation on. I know it will never be as fast as the v8 mustangs but as Boss owners know, it isn't always about who has more horsepower that is faster around the track. I wanted to make a general thread on the v6 mustangs in this forum and maybe get advise from those with much more experience than I.

For my Mustang:

Started out with a base v6 6-speed Mustang that I purchased brand new for $17,995 with 28 miles on the odometer.
Since then, I installed:

BBk CAI
Bama Tune
Roush Exhaust
20" Boss 338 wheels and Nitto NT555 tires
Boss 302 Strut tower brace
Engine cover
color matched side mirror covers
Stock GT grille without fog lights for better airflow
Royal purple synthetic oil and oil filter since 1000 miles on the odometer
Blowfish Racing Shifter bracket (being installed this Saturday)

The point of my car is to be multipurpose. Main reason is because I am on a budget and still want to have fun. My car is a daily driver, show car and race car. I visit the drag strip as well as autocross track often. My main focus is Autocross because that is where I have the most fun. Right now I am getting a lot of push which I am gathering is from the staggered wheel setup. I get a lot of body roll which is something I plan on addressing in another year (funds permitting). I have been looking around on this forum and am really interested in the Cortex setup. It is a pricey setup but I think definitely worth it in the end. I would love to do an actual track day but I know that will cost me a set of tires and brake pads. I still have to find a brembo take off or order a setup new. I think the first focus would be the suspension though. I am getting heat spots on my rotors but I think that can be temporarily fixed with some aftermarket rotors for my current setup.

I have been having a very bad time with the MT-82 transmission and the high rpm lockout issue when running autocross and running down the drag strip. It is embarrassing. So I just picked up the Blowfish Racing Bracket which from the great reviews, should fix my shifting woes. My next investment I wanted the GT CS/Boss Leguna Seca rear wing. Ford quoted me $700 for the part, painted and mounted. I think that is a fair price. I thought about the aftermarket version but the looks aren't the same as the real thing.

Eventually I would really like opinions on aerodynamics like the wing and the boss leguna seca chin splitter package. Is it worth it and noticeable while driving? I plan on using SVE drifts for my dedicated racing wheels and I think I have decided on racing tires too thanks to the many threads on this forum. So if there are other v6 mustang owners who are tracking their cars, please post here and share any advise you can. Also any forum members want to chime in an offer advise as far as suspension options, aerodynamics or anything in general would be greatly appreciated!

1890491_1465140780381914_1635760990_o.jpg

10887415_1603917409837583_2964395287735449754_o.jpg

00000000-0000-0000-0000-00000000148A_zpsolqainxt.jpg

479FAE51-0801-4453-9359-E4BE86E5D7A6_zpsdkeirifu.jpg

B5E354FE-BFC5-400E-9072-1419844A9225_zpsjcattqjz.jpg

My Fiance' takes her '14 3.7 out to the road courses with me and my 5.0, we're actually going to Texas World Speedway this weekend.

Her Car:
'14 M6
3.55 Gear
245 40 18 Nitto NT-01 (on my stock 18 x 8 GT rims)
GT 13.2" Brakes
homemade brake ducts
Amsoil DOT4 fluid
Barton Shifter Bracket
Air Raid CAI
Lethal performance catless H
MPT 50/50 E85 tune
OEM GT shocks / struts
Eibach Sportline springs
BMR LCAs + brackets / Panhard bar

I think thats pretty much everything we have done to her car. I've been dying to take her car for a spin around the track honestly, because it really is a lot of fun. I drive a 420 whp 5.0, its big, its raw, has big tires, loud exhaust, a heavy shifter, a heavy clutch ... and while all of that makes it fun, its exactly what makes her V6 fun as well. Her car has a very light clutch, light shifter, you can feel the weight difference, the narrower tires just make it feel more nimble without feeling like its struggling for grip (car is ~300 whp / high 34xx for weight). It may not be a "competitive" car, but at least on the street it sure as hell is fun. Hopefully shell let me steal it for a few laps this time.

I actually found my Boss while I was looking on Ford's website trying to find a 2012 V6 with Performance Pack. The PP on a V6 had the GT brakes and suspension, limited slip differential, a different stability control tune, and summer tires on 19" wheels. They are tough to find. If I had found one before I found my Boss, I'd be driving one today.

You need to address the suspension if you have a stock, non-PP V6 model. Ford Racing sells springs and shocks/struts, and they work well, and of course a lot of people use aftermarket instead.

Next, you need brakes. Take off Brembos would work well, just make sure you replace the rear rotors as well. You need to keep the F/R braking balance. I don't know if doing this means you need to reflash the Anti-lock brake computer, too. You might want to find a shop that has done this and ask them. GT brakes would be a cheaper upgrade path. DOT 4 fluid for sure.

The V6 driveshaft is a problem, and is the reason that the V6 had a speed limiter keeping it down to 113MPH. You really, really don't want to drop a driveshaft at speed, and you owe it to anyone else on the track to fix that issue. I would put a new aluminum driveshaft at the top of your list, especially since you have a tune that probably removed the speed limiter. This is a safety and performance mod, since the aluminum shaft is lighter.

I love the V6 engine. For 2015, Ford intentionally detuned it and made it unavailable with the Track pack option to keep it from eating into Ecoboost sales. I hate that. A 2015 with the V6 and the Track pack would be awesome.

The V6 and GT actually share the same caliper, the only difference is the v6 has a smaller carrier for its 12.5" Rotor, and the GT a larger for its 13.2". The PP v6 actually still uses the 12.5" rotor, it just has a "performance pad." The rear brakes are also the same from v6 to GT500 at 11.8". We did a full GT500 rear axle swap into my Fiance's V6 and everything bolted right up, exact same 8.8" axle on all 11-14 cars.

Dont mean to come in here sounding like an ass, just trying to keep things straight ;) i do agree on your other points though.

Well I do plan on upgrading the brakes to the brembo setup but they are hard to find it seems. The drive shaft is on my list as well, the blowfish racing bracket serves as a driveshaft safety loop as well.

Suspension wise, I was looking at a watts link with a torque arm. It seems to offer awesome handling and ride.
Another upgrade I need is gears. Right now I am running 2.73s which are hurting my acceleration big time.

I'll let you know how the GT brakes w/ 2.5" brake ducts, as well as the 3.55 gears, hold up on a long / fast track this weekend on her car. Its very easy for me to hit 150+ in my 5.0 on the front straight, so its a good test of not only acceleration, but also braking going into turn 1.

Like i said, the only difference is the carriers between the GT and V6 brakes. If you get them new through Ford they're $75 a pop, on top of the new larger rotors which are $60-90 each... Not exactly a budget upgrade. However, if you troll the for sale sections you can find OEM take offs from people who have gone to Brembos; i got her a full set of calipers, pads, carriers and rotors for $170 shipped.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Sounds like a good plan. I'd put a driveshaft, track pads, cooling ducts and DOT4 fluid at the top of the list when you're ready for track duty.

The aero parts you list are nice to have. Not needed, but can probably be felt in added stability at speeds over 100. The parts were tested by Ford and do help to kill lift.

Not so sure on the price quoted to you for the painted spoiler. The primed part is only $300 or so and I think you could get it painted elsewhere for much less than $400.

Glad you started this thread...I'm hoping to have reason myself to start one for V6s in the Road Race sub forum once I find the project car.

coboss said:
I actually found my Boss while I was looking on Ford's website trying to find a 2012 V6 with Performance Pack. The PP on a V6 had the GT brakes and suspension, limited slip differential, a different stability control tune, and summer tires on 19" wheels. They are tough to find. If I had found one before I found my Boss, I'd be driving one today.

You need to address the suspension if you have a stock, non-PP V6 model. Ford Racing sells springs and shocks/struts, and they work well, and of course a lot of people use aftermarket instead.

Next, you need brakes. Take off Brembos would work well, just make sure you replace the rear rotors as well. You need to keep the F/R braking balance. I don't know if doing this means you need to reflash the Anti-lock brake computer, too. You might want to find a shop that has done this and ask them. GT brakes would be a cheaper upgrade path. DOT 4 fluid for sure.

The V6 driveshaft is a problem, and is the reason that the V6 had a speed limiter keeping it down to 113MPH. You really, really don't want to drop a driveshaft at speed, and you owe it to anyone else on the track to fix that issue. I would put a new aluminum driveshaft at the top of your list, especially since you have a tune that probably removed the speed limiter. This is a safety and performance mod, since the aluminum shaft is lighter.

I love the V6 engine. For 2015, Ford intentionally detuned it and made it unavailable with the Track pack option to keep it from eating into Ecoboost sales. I hate that. A 2015 with the V6 and the Track pack would be awesome.

Not sure why you'd say that about the rear rotors. They're all the same unless you have a '13-'14 GT500. Otherwise, the only differences are the pads and paint for the Brembo equipped cars.

The V6 PP are mostly just GT parts. Sway bars, front brakes, springs, and I think the dampers. Plus the 19x8.5 rims with the same P-zeros on the Brembo, Track Pack, or the Boss fronts.

Back to the OP - Lots of GT guys sell the same parts for cheap after upgrading...so they're easy to get if you want to go that route.

Well I am going to use the stock setup till the pads go which shouldn't be much longer and then I was going to upgrade the rotors to the DBA T2 STREET SERIES ROTORS - FRONT PAIR (11-14 GT) from Americanmuscle or one of the other part sites. The only thing I can tell that I would need is the carrier for the rotors up front. The rotors on the rear seem the same size but I would upgrade them to match the fronts. This should help with braking even though it is still pricey. The Brembo calipers will have to wait until I can find an awesome deal somewhere.

The thing with the aero mods is that not only are they effective but they help with aesthetics as well. The plan was to get the Boss 302 chin spoiler and air deflector. Then get the Blowfish Racing bolt on tow hook followed by the Leguna Seca splitter attachment since it would attach thanks to the Blowfish Racing tow hook brace. This would still cost almost $1500 so this is going to be one of the mods I do further down the road. $700 is expensive for the wing but it would be painted by Ford which makes me feel a little better considering the metallic flakes in Sterling Gray and when they install it, if they mess up then they have to fix it. I can't bring myself to drill into the trunk like that.

Voltwings said:
The V6 and GT actually share the same caliper, the only difference is the v6 has a smaller carrier for its 12.5" Rotor, and the GT a larger for its 13.2". The PP v6 actually still uses the 12.5" rotor, it just has a "performance pad." The rear brakes are also the same from v6 to GT500 at 11.8". We did a full GT500 rear axle swap into my Fiance's V6 and everything bolted right up, exact same 8.8" axle on all 11-14 cars.

Dont mean to come in here sounding like an ass, just trying to keep things straight ;) i do agree on your other points though.

I always thought the PP V6 had the brake system from the GT. Those rotors would definitely need to be upgraded for the track, at least the track I drive, which has a long straight where my Boss hits 125 MPH. THe Mustang GT's with stock brakes all have brake issues after a few laps out there.

The GT500 swap sounds like a great idea, since I think the lowest gears offered with a V6 were 3.31.

coboss said:
I always thought the PP V6 had the brake system from the GT. Those rotors would definitely need to be upgraded for the track, at least the track I drive, which has a long straight where my Boss hits 125 MPH. THe Mustang GT's with stock brakes all have brake issues after a few laps out there.

The GT500 swap sounds like a great idea, since I think the lowest gears offered with a V6 were 3.31.

coboss said:

For some reason i did too, i'm not sure where that all started, but i had a buddy trade in his PP v6 not too long ago and i tried swiping the front brakes off it for our V6. Go to measure and realize they're the exact same, so either he got stiffed, or it is just a pad change. You're also correct on the 3.31, 2.73 is the stock gear and 3.31 comes with the PP as the only options. The 2.73 on the V6 is ridiculous, sub 3k rpms at 50 in 3rd ... not at all useful for track driving.

Yeah the 2.73 gears are awful. There is a Cyclone Mustang only event coming up in April where they drag race to see who is fastest. I might put the gears to the top of my list since they would help my acceleration greatly

Grant 302

Yeah, I forgot about the gears too. Driving a friends '13 PP, my opinion is that even the 3.31s aren't steep enough...even thought the V6's 1st gear in the MT82 is a bit steeper.

I believe that 2011+ V6 mustang is the best performance for money you can buy now!
You got yours for $18K!!
You know that your car was faster than GR Subaru STI around VIR (C&D lighting lap) and that is with 116 speed limiter!
Very capable car you got out of the box Sir!

1) Brake pads + DOT 4 fluid + cooling ducts. Then when more advanced➡️ Bigger brake kit (stock brembo or StopTech)
2) 18 inch tires and lighter wheels (SVE drifts as you suggested or even 18x9.5 GT500 OEM wheels).
3) Rear end (may be something like 3.73 TORSEN®).
4) Because you've already tuned the engine ➡️ 1 piece aluminum driveshaft should be in order.
5) When the bug hits again go to something like KW V3 Coilovers (quality + durability + lifetime warranty) this rhymes
6) 20 inch tires and wheel hurt performance and in my opinion the look too, but that is subjective.

Thanks for the advice guys! I plan on the brake cooling ducts for sure.
20" wheels are more for street driving and car shows, so far they are holding up to autocross/drag racing because of the width. I love the look and now I am just looking for a used set of sve drifts because of the price of them. I have to watch my budget this year (trying to buy my first house) but I plan on making some more improvements. I already started this past weekend with my blowfish racing bracket. This thing has made my shifts more precise and corrected one of my biggest problems, high rpm lockout. Next month at autocross will be a big test. This year my goals are: Leguna Seca wing, driveshaft, gears, brake pads and DOT 4 fluid. These don't seem like much in cost to most on here I know but it is a handful for me right now and the good part is Autocross is only $35 to race. Sebring, FL I know is $200 for the weekend so maybe on day this year after most of my mods I'll treat myself.

435C46BD-2492-440E-89F0-70789507CBBB_zpspuxh2n5l.jpg

4430E401-A53F-4A8A-B6C9-1AC254CDD665_zpswlxdjfry.jpg

053D8309-E0F5-4E05-9CFA-0F47DAC0BF68_zpsi6bblwpj.jpg

I'm right with you on the no "extra" funds list. I have done some good mods over the last few years, but I'm not in most of these guys league financialy. They know what they are talking about and dont look down on you, so I keep coming back. Its cool to be able to ask experienced drivers any question and get at least one or two replies. Good luck man.

Phoenix is developing a V6 mustang for SCCA T3 class that will also run Pirelli World Challenge. The car performed well in testing at Homestead and Sebring (there were only a couple of cars in the class, but you have to run someplace) so stay tuned,. right this instant it's not committed to the PWC but I know they want to run it there.

Grant 302

blacksheep-1 said:
Phoenix is developing a V6 mustang for SCCA T3 class that will also run Pirelli World Challenge. The car performed well in testing at Homestead and Sebring (there were only a couple of cars in the class, but you have to run someplace) so stay tuned,. right this instant it's not committed to the PWC but I know they want to run it there.

Definitely post updates on that car Rob! It'll make me feel less crazy about my current plans! 8)

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi Killaz05:

I like your V6 Mustang and you have a pretty good plan for mods. I too would move up the priority of the 1 piece DS on your mod list even though you just had your BF Mount/Bracket installed. I've seen a few V6 OEM DS explode on YouTube while Dyno testing. And it gets expensive to fix when it happens. Also, I was surprised to see they fluted the V6 DS tube from the pic you posted.

After that it's brakes and rubber that will yield the best performance bang for your buck. After that look at suspension, springs and dampeners.

If you want an LS Splitter, look over at American Muscle as I saw they had them on sale or clearance for $550 give or take $20. It was the FRPP LS splitter service kit that includes the splitter panel and the two front struts. Then the BFR no-cut front tow hook mount also has provisions to attach the stabilizer struts under the bumper. It looked like a good deal.

You can also look at the FRPP World Challenge splitter, (slightly smaller), but cost less too.

Remember, BMO is where all Mustangs are Boss! Stop by and visit us at the Boss302Forum, great members over there as well.

Good Luck and I hope this info helps,

302 HP
Dave

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel