The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

V6/V8 drive shafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Changing the diff on the V6 from a 7.5 to an 8.8, anyone know if it requires a different drive shaft, or do I just have to transfer the companion flange on the diff from the 7.5 to the 8.8?
The V6 is a 5 speed so it's not really obvious what all the differences are between it and the 6speed GT.
The shaft won't quite fit over the flange on the 8.8, because it's cupped, but the bolt pattern is the same. The 7.5 flange is flat, but I haven't swapped it yet.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Is it ‘11+?

I do not know if this applies to the earlier cars, and neither of those ‘05-‘10 came stock with MT-82s.

But for ‘11+, the GTs have the MT-82 mounted further back. This is why they (the 5.0L) need a shorter DS.

I don’t think the pinion flanges have different dimensions fore-aft, if they cross-bolt I think it should swap okay. Otherwise, the pinion flanges might need to be swapped, assuming that’s possible.

Is it ‘11+?

I do not know if this applies to the earlier cars, and neither of those ‘05-‘10 came stock with MT-82s.

But for ‘11+, the GTs have the MT-82 mounted further back. This is why they (the 5.0L) need a shorter DS.

I don’t think the pinion flanges have different dimensions fore-aft, if they cross-bolt I think it should swap okay. Otherwise, the pinion flanges might need to be swapped, assuming that’s possible.

I agree, I think I agree, it's hard to tell without seeing one and my shelby has a tremec, but I'm going to swap out the pinion flange, I'm just hoping the drive shaft is close in length so it doesn't bind up.

OK, well, this is some real life BS.
The companion flange from the 7.5 is different than the 8.8, fair enough, but when you try to replace the 8.8 flange with the 7.5 flange, you will find the pinion diameter/ splines are different diameter. So I scrounge dup an SN95 flange, it fits, but.... the diameter is too small.
So at this moment, I'm kind of screwed, I may have to replace the entire drive shaft, but again, am not sure which one I need since it's a V6 trans and a V8 diff.

here's the 3 flanges, the 8.8 orients on the outside of the flange, the 7.5 , and the old style 8.8 index on the center of the flange. The s197 is also longer
axUEly3l.jpg

7.5 left, 8.8 right
Gkjt1vbl.jpg

the S197 flange (V6)
PUeFNmrl.jpg

Drive shaft flange
yERtwRYl.jpg

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
OK, well, this is some real life BS.
The companion flange from the 7.5 is different than the 8.8, fair enough, but when you try to replace the 8.8 flange with the 7.5 flange, you will find the pinion diameter/ splines are different diameter. So I scrounge dup an SN95 flange, it fits, but.... the diameter is too small.
So at this moment, I'm kind of screwed, I may have to replace the entire drive shaft, but again, am not sure which one I need since it's a V6 trans and a V8 diff.

here's the 3 flanges, the 8.8 orients on the outside of the flange, the 7.5 , and the old style 8.8 index on the center of the flange. The s197 is also longer
View attachment 63470

7.5 left, 8.8 right
View attachment 63471

the S197 flange (V6)
View attachment 63472

Drive shaft flange
View attachment 63473

I can’t tell from the photo stock images on the Dorman 697-507, but it appears it may be flat on the drive shaft side. For $35, it would be worth checking it out at the parts store before going down the replacement driveshaft road. NAPA # is NOE 819-6767

B677C748-8873-4C14-8660-D4E14A3843D7.jpeg

would that be the "truck" flange, or the 2011 V6 flange (the 2011s came with 8.8s)?
but I'm going to give that a shot, or at least something like it since I live in the boonies.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel