The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Valet Key?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dear Boss Team,

As I anxiously await the delivery of my SBY car early in May, I am trying to get over the fact that i am going to drive it everyday.

For me this means many trips to the airport and the executive parking service. With that in mind and the past experience of smelling my clutch after they retrieved my previous Mustang, I want to see if anyone has had a key programmed as a valet key or has another reasonable solution. My idea is to simply limit the RPMs to around 1500 to keep the kids from testing my Boss and my patience with them.

Open to any ideas!

Thanks.

OMG - I could not imagine handing the car over to an airport car service! I appreciate your concern :-[

My F150 has something like you describe - it's called "My Ford Key" or something like that. In any event, I can program the key to curtail the trucks operating envelope. Not sure if the Boss has this though, anyone know?

Well I am kind of doing the same thing just with my brother. Although I trust him, I have used the mykey feature and limited the mph to 65, music at half, and advance trac on. I wish i could also do the RPMS, but i dont know how to do that.

cali-NT54 said:
Well I am kind of doing the same thing just with my brother. Although I trust him, I have used the mykey feature and limited the mph to 65, music at half, and advance trac on. I wish i could also do the RPMS, but i dont know how to do that.

How do you do this???

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/SPubs/default.asp?pageid=oghome&gutsid=spubs_serv_all_new&TYPE=OWNERGUIDE&menuIndex1=16

Page 97 of the 3rd edition Mustang guide

http://www.motorcraftservice.com/vdirs/SPubs/default.asp?pageid=oghome&gutsid=spubs_serv_all_new&TYPE=OWNERGUIDE&menuIndex1=16

It allows max mph of 80, chimes, and can't turn advance track off. It isn't a real valet key, and not restrictive enough imo even for a kid

Great start team, so let me see if I can move this along...

How many keys can be programmed to one car? My thinking is, if three can be associated with one car, that one leave one "normal", one "track" and a valet key. If this is possible, I'll bet a well informed local service tech could create a valet key profile.

This theory is a flat as used up drifting tire if only 2 keys can be associated with a single car. If that is the case, i wonder if any of the talented tuners in the aftermarket can create an alternative.

I have not done this personally. But I've read that several people have made a 3rd key as a spare. Reason being is you can create a new key as long as you have 2 that work. So if we were to lose one of our original 2 we would have to goto the dealer and pay a ton of money for them to reprogram us one.. So making a 3rd key as a spare/backup is a good idea. Since all 3 work im sure one can be made as a valet only key.

I think it would be a good idea. hopefully someone can test/verify

reakhavok said:
I have not done this personally. But I've read that several people have made a 3rd key as a spare. Reason being is you can create a new key as long as you have 2 that work. So if we were to lose one of our original 2 we would have to goto the dealer and pay a ton of money for them to reprogram us one.. So making a 3rd key as a spare/backup is a good idea. Since all 3 work im sure one can be made as a valet only key.

I think it would be a good idea. hopefully someone can test/verify
Per 2012YellowBoss"s advice I have done this and programmed the third key as a valet. Of course teens and valets can still get in a lot of trouble at 80 MPH. ;)

Total of eight keys can be programmed for each car. Programming is easy as posted and like posted correctly it only limits the speed to 80MPH. IMHO they should have made it so you could set the speed limiter. I guess they looked at the MyKey more for young drivers as opposed to a "valet" key since it controls the radio setting by forcing the driver to put a set belt on to listen to the radio among other things.

Any Ford "S" 40 bit or "SA" 80 bit key will work, with or without the integrated keyless entry flob. Yes the Boss came with a 80 bit "SA" key but I did program a 40 bit and it works fine and I was able to program the MyKey with it.

reakhavok, yes, everyone should have a third key made. If you lose a key you can not make a second spare key with the only one remaining working key. At that point you will make an expensive trip to the dealer. Making a third back up key takes a few minutes and costs nothing to program yourself.

Baker, Trackey has nothing to do with PATS programming. You can make 8 keys and have 7 keys non-Mykey and one with Mykey or 7 Mykeys and one without or even 8 without making a Mykey. The only issue with Mykey is one (anyone) of the key must remain non-Mykey to be used as a master to deprogram any of the others. However Trackey is a separate issue and only one key at a time can be used as a red Trackey.

Good call on the 3rd key, I always have done that in the past and just forgot for this key. I also like to leave a spare with my father in case I have to go out of town or something and someone needs to move the car. That isn't as big an issue now since I have it at home, but when I had a lot of cars I had them in random relatives' garages and yards.

I would get it from the dealer, probably not that much more expensive but they have the proper machines to cut them. I do all the key cutting for work, and the car keys just do not cut right on a standard machine. Otherwise, go to a real locksmith shop (not the one inside Ace or similar) that has a car key specific setup. I have had issues with keys even from that type of place, so I will be having the dealer do it. Just program it yourself, if you have 2 keys already, don't pay for that.

The dealer is going to charge you a lot of money. I have used this guy for years and he is very trustworthy, I know others here have also bought from him on my recommendation.

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/chapstick4

If you just making a spare and don't want to spend too much buy a key only without the buttons. They work normally to start the car and will also work to program extra keys if you ever lose one of the originals. The keyless entry button have nothing to with the PATS programming and you do not need two keys to reprogram the door locks.

PATS Programming is simple, page 111 from the owners manual. First get the key and have it cut. Then:

1. Insert the first previously programmed coded key into the ignition.

2. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

3. Turn the ignition to the 1 (off) position and remove the first coded key from the ignition.

4. After three seconds but within 10 seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (off)

5. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least three seconds, but no more than 10 seconds.

6. Turn the ignition to the 1 (off) position and remove the second previously programmed coded key from the ignition.

7. After three seconds but within 20 seconds of turning the ignition to the 1 (off) position and removing the previously programmed coded key, insert the new unprogrammed key (new key/valet key) into the ignition.

8. Turn the ignition from the 1 (off) position to the 3 (on) position. Keep the ignition in the 3 (on) position for at least six seconds.

9. Remove the newly programmed coded key from the ignition.

I have tried putting the same key in twice and it does not work, you need two programed keys.

Regular key, no keyless buttons, is $35. Just bought one since I was at the dealer. I did not program it yet, as the car was already checked in for tranny issues.

They seemed to use a standard type key copier. I was a little disappointed, hopefully the key fits right as it does not look perfect, and I expected it to be one of the key stampers like all the other non-laser keys I have had done use. Even my '88 BMW uses a stamper, as did my Mitsu and a few other cars.

Informative discussion guys, thanks for all the additional information. But, what about the initial question...How do enable a valet mode to limit speed / rpms to very low (20mph) range?

2012YellowBoss said:
jeepinocala said:
Ok so I have one regular key and a track key can I program a key from these?

Yes, the PATS and Trackey programming are two different thing. So you will be using two PATS keys to PATS program the third.

So I can not use the track key at all my dealer gave me one regular key and one track key thats it were they supposed to give me a third key?

jeepinocala said:
So I can not use the track key at all my dealer gave me one regular key and one track key thats it were they supposed to give me a third key?

No on a third key, you get two keys with the car and you CAN use these two keys to program a third key that starts the car (non-Trackey usable). Trackey is something completely different so do not even think about it when talking about programming a spare (PATS) key.

With the two keys that came with the car you can cut and program a third (or more) key by yourself.

BBaker said:
Informative discussion guys, thanks for all the additional information. But, what about the initial question...How do enable a valet mode to limit speed / rpms to very low (20mph) range?

You can not set it to 20MPH. The parameters of MyKey are set by Ford, in the case of speed it is 80MPH. It is better then nothing as far as a valet key goes but not perfect.

TMO Supporting Vendors