The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Velocicross Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Way cool you got some Instruction help from Mark Daddio, he is a Solo Guru and you need to become SpongeGreg Solopants whenever you are at an event with him. Seat time is numero uno , but when you have a multiple National Champ nearby willing to give you advice soak up the knowledge. Hope you get to Lincoln, Ne. in the future for the Solo Nationals! You will find the cost isn't terrible, even with the drive, if you figure in the beer, food, camaraderie, invaluable advice and experience you will recieve ---- yes, it is Priceless!! Always fun to read " Your Adventures in Autocrossing " and may the " Forced Air Ford be with you!"

PS - we are spoiled in Nebraska, as our Solo Events are just like mini Nationals, with the normal course running 50-60 seconds.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New England
Proper weather is close (though not today) in the Northeast. In the garage for use late this year is a set of 19x11.5 square APEX wheels with 315/30R19 Falken RT660s for maximum rubber and excitement. Where other than here do men love using so much rubber(s)?

Now for the problem this rookie with more dollars than sense needs to tackle this season - brake judder. The Hawk HP+ pads and Baer Eradispeed rotors have been excellent for Autox (not that there aren't better choices in the words of experts) but on my few big track days, as I gained confidence and speed, serious and unnerving brake judder showed up by the second session. Is the only culprit my HP+ pads leaving deposits because they aren't meant for significant heat? Or has my ignorance and early thrashing also contributed to problems with the rotors themselves changing shape in the heat? Combo, something else?

I do have a set of G-LOC 12s to try this year on big track days instead of the HP+s. With some rotor honing, proper bedding and warmup might this fix the issue?

Thank you experts in advance

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New England
Have done two 1:04:... laps at Lime Rock so far this year with SCDA, both on 305 Supercar 3R tires and using G-LOC R12s (with proper bedding), I have had no brake issues. I did get an oil overtemp warning last time out, so am adding a Mishimoto oil cooler kit. I'm finally pushing hard enough for that which is nice.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New England
Sled is getting ready to hang up the hat for the year. Did some nice times at Lime Rock on the FCP Euro Proving Grounds AutoX course in 2022 (if you can call it AutoX, probably not, more like karting track for cars), just outside the top 30 for the shootout this year but then again a significant number of those times were on Hoosiers, something I am not willing to spring for just yet. Finishing the methanol injection this fall, continuing toward a full "big track" build for the car. Appreciate all the posts and guidance this forum has provided.

IMG_4604.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New England
Almost forgot, I added a Mishimoto oil cooler kit with their thermostat plate. The pre-packaged S550 set (made for 5.0) has too short of hoses, FYI. I had to create my own custom order with five and six foot hoses and they were the perfect length. I chose this cooler location for practical/mounting and intercooler airflow reasons and made custom mounting brackets out of flat stock. Have no had a hot enough day since installing to verify this cures the oil overtemp issue.
Separately, have the meth injection install almost finished. Will be tuning that through the end of October then dynoing to see what the "final" power numbers really are.

IMG_0111.jpg

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
New England
Changes coming for 2023 as I chase sub-1:00 at Lime Rock Park and the year-end AutoX shootout:
- Ford Performance Shocks/Struts with Steeda's dual rate competition springs and Maximum Motorsports caster-camber plates
- Blew the gasket out between the turbo and downpipe, going with the stainless steel one from CVF
- Steeda's "competition" soft adjustable rear sway bar
- Tuning the methanol injection with Ryan at PD Tuning

Am also switching tack and booking NASA HPDE events this year to move toward a competition license over the next few years. Very exciting.

TMO Supporting Vendors