The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S550 Velocity Blue Manual GT V8 in Spain Build Thread Profile - S550 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Awk,

Just go to the top of this page, click on the Sponsors heading, and then scroll down to the Apex site. Once there you will note there is a TMO dedicated Rep ( Cory ) , and if you click that it will take you to his member listing and you can start a conversation with him. I can not imagine that he can not get you the rims as reasonable as Steeda , since they make them. I have had 4 sets , they are hub centric, and if you get them squared you can rotate your tires for easier life. Good luck and continue to keep us posted on your adventures tracking your Mustang in Espana!!

I forgot to mention, when things get better, take up the Track Manager's offer for help and instruction at the track. This will be a huge benefit and since it appears he is not charging you extra for this, his knowledge will help you get quicker much faster.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
I had a trackday at different track last weekend. It was the best trackday so far for me. This track is quite different from the track I've been at before, and I now understand what people meant about the previous track not being optimal for a "big and heavy" car like mine. This track is also almost twice as long, and at a bit over 5 km, the longest track in Spain I think.
163739965_3891554327590288_6848795922948133267_o.jpg

An american I met some weeks ago was there too, with his supercharged GT350R:
t.jpg

Only minus is he only did 9 laps (I did about 60 I'm guessing, and my best lap was still 18s behind him. I'm improving though.), and all of them while I was on the track too, so only got to see him very briefly as he was passing me while I was in my own car. Would have liked to see it on the track from the outside too.

His friend joined me in my car for a few laps to coach me, which was very instructive and educational. Two-three laps were all I could take of his coaching before I needed to take a break and relax my head, though his coaching immediately lowered my lap time by half a minute.

A video from the end of the day:

I had about 60 laps I guess, but it was only on the last 5-10 laps I finally dared switch it to "track mode". It was also only at that point I was starting to remember the turns and where I could safely speed on without having to worry about a turn coming up too quickly, though as is obvious from the video, I'm still too scared to floor the gas pedal 99% of the time.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Nothing like having some coaching. If you are like me,.... I dont do very well with in car tutering (am too tense and its very noisey in the car), really liked the racers360 service were they use your in-car video for coaching... I can go over and over the video till is sinks into my brain.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
Nothing like having some coaching. If you are like me,.... I dont do very well with in car tutering (am too tense and its very noisey in the car), really liked the racers360 service were they use your in-car video for coaching... I can go over and over the video till is sinks into my brain.

I know what you mean, though perhaps it also depends on how the coach matches one's own personality. This friend of the GT350 owner (and also the track owner who coached me before my first trackday, as he didn't want anyone completely new to drive there), both had what I'll describe as pleasant personality. This friend from last Sunday was a bit younger and more energetic in his coaching than the oldter track owner, but still had a very pleasant way of instructing and I hope I'll get a chance to have him in my car again.

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Take advantage of all the coaching you can get, as the differences between Instructors often will give you advice in different areas. If you only learn one thing each time someone rides with you ,that is a success> Your attitude is great and learning at your own pace will make you much faster as your confidence builds. Impressed you got in 60 laps , because seat time is the best learning tool and great to hear you are able to get in some laps during this restrictive time under the Covid Pandemic.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Take advantage of all the coaching you can get, as the differences between Instructors often will give you advice in different areas.
Seat time and coaching. Good advice from the Best coach I have had. Thanks Bill.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Well , dang and thanks TMS, but you have to understand coaching often means having a student willing to listen and learn and you did both. You accepted you had some old habits , you worked to rid yourself of them , and you go a bunch faster!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Spain
Take advantage of all the coaching you can get, as the differences between Instructors often will give you advice in different areas. If you only learn one thing each time someone rides with you ,that is a success> Your attitude is great and learning at your own pace will make you much faster as your confidence builds. Impressed you got in 60 laps , because seat time is the best learning tool and great to hear you are able to get in some laps during this restrictive time under the Covid Pandemic.

Thank you. I got in those laps because I don't push myself to much I think, and always have a cool down lap after a streneous lap. With Chris, friend of the GT350 guy, in the passenger seat, I was pushing myself though, so I could manage two or three laps of that before I had to take a break. Spent the rest of the day trying to replicate as much as I could of those two-three laps.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Seat time and coaching. Good advice from the Best coach I have had. Thanks Bill.

I second this all around. A guy in the seat next to you whose goal is to have you better enjoy the tracking experience (and better your lap tymes) is critical. That Pemberton guy fits the "Bill"

TMO Supporting Vendors