The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Vented Fender

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DG#56 said:
I thought about doing this a while back, but the one thing that stopped me is I don't want muddy water splash on my motor and leaving nasty spots.

okay princess ;D i bet you trailer your car to all the places you go too ::)

DG#56 said:
I thought about doing this a while back, but the one thing that stopped me is I don't want muddy water splash on my motor and leaving nasty spots.

Use a baffle then instead of a direct opening. easy enough put those plastic covers with angled speaker grill openings.

This combined with the fenders and the Tiger hood could make a huge difference in drag and lift reduction.

Still, the back of the car needs a lot of work and so does the under tray. look at some of the best WC cars - the front under tray is there all the way behind the oil pan and the rear splitter floor picks up just behind the live axle.

01-2012-boss-302-underside.jpg

twistedneck said:
I would do that in a second if we could point out exactly where in the fenders we should cut out w/o hitting any high stress areas. the screen is a nice touch too. I assume this is also done to the rear sheet metal? however, where would the air go? does anyone vent tubes out the rear?

They removed the front section of the inner fender. The little curved section in front of the strut towers. If you look at your mustang the section is spot welded in. It is about 8" by 10". Rear inner fender is still there. The issue with removing it is that you are weakening the front end of the car slightly as this piece is attached to the upper and lower frame. The outer fender in front of the door on the GT350 is vented also.

twistedneck said:
Use a baffle then instead of a direct opening. easy enough put those plastic covers with angled speaker grill openings.

This combined with the fenders and the Tiger hood could make a huge difference in drag and lift reduction.

Still, the back of the car needs a lot of work and so does the under tray. look at some of the best WC cars - the front under tray is there all the way behind the oil pan and the rear splitter floor picks up just behind the live axle.

01-2012-boss-302-underside.jpg

Unfortunately class rules limit front undercarriage aero to stop at the wheels.

I'm already running the PWC wing, struts and endplates. Latest version.

I'm going to raise the exhaust midpipe and dump the sides through the body (under the rear seat pan) and out the body side, GT3 style. Probably this winter. Should improve airflow underneath since my exhaust hangs low.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
CA
How is the clearance with these and did you get the CF or FG version?

Even the skinny 275s I run sometimes started to hit the fenders and put dents into them from the inside in one of our bowls. Not looking into having FG fender crack due to clearance issues.

PS: Sorry for digging up this old post.

TMO Supporting Vendors