The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ventilators to be made at Flat Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Glad to see this happen, as the need is so great ,especially in the population centers of the US. Scary even for those in the Midwest , as last week it was noted we had under 300 Ventilators in the Omaha Metro area hospitals --- scary. They were already using over half of them. Small numbers compared to NYC , LA , New Orleans, etc. but the total State population is only 1.9 mil.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
My company supplies fasteners, o-rings and other mechanical components to Ventec who also makes ventilators and teamed up with GM. We've had many conference calls with them and the first thing GM did was cast off Ventec's FDA approved suppliers for their own auto related guys. This did not go over well with the management at Ventec and they ended their agreement at 20K ventilators when originally they were talking over 100K. Ventec found a local contract manufacturer to ramp up production and stayed true to their suppliers.

I mean, who wants to let their life depend on GM making a life saving piece of equipment? Especially since they're will to cast aside some of the most stringent quality requirements.

Okay, I'm double biased here.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
And now there's all sorts of speculation that in many patients the ventilators may hurt rather than help the patient.

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
There will always be some detractors regarding ventilators but they do work. Problem is, you are in deep doo-doo when they put you on one so no surprise that the mortality rate runs high. There are many, many more stories of how folks have had their lives saved by these machines. Obviously a vaccine is the best solution but if it were my life on the line, hook me up. Just not to one that looks like a Camaro!

drano38

Wayne
I'm surprised GM was even allowed to source their own hardware. I work for a manufacturer, and got my a%$ handed to me by a customer a couple years ago for changing suppliers for a spring (that was built to their drawing's specs). We were told if its nuts and bolts that MSC or Fastenal sells, we can change suppliers. But if its a spring, bolt, etc spec'd on their drawing, we need approval to change.
Hopefully Flat Rock's production goes smoothly -- and the ventilators are not needed.

TMO Supporting Vendors