The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Verus Diffuser

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Southern California
Did you feel it was worth the addition? I was skeptical of the data provided since Verus smoothed the bottom of the model they used.
@5.2 liters of democracy I made a few changes along with this (fender vents and a little less weight) and saw significant acceleration and top speed improvements at VIR.

The GT4 uses a similar, but different diffuser. There must be a reason...

EIGHTLUG

https://www.archetyperacing.com
Supporting Vendor
The ideal design for an actual motorsport rear diffuser for S550 would be:

1) Removal of the OEM rear close out panel- Ford Part No: FR3Z-6P013-D (Throw it in a dumpster)
2) Two to four additional support points will need to be added to the under body of the car to support the new diffuser. We all already know that the OEM rear bumper cover clips will not support the OEM close out panel and rear exhaust valance.
3) Full length smooth panel from the differential to rear exhaust valance. This will also incorporate a ~16" long X ~5" gradually sloping expansion chamber X full width of the rear exhaust valance.
4) Minimum of four full length strakes. Possibly two more center positioned strakes that project forward of the rear differential to aid in airflow management.
5) Outboard strakes will come close to the ground. (wear item that can be removed and replaced, as needed) Gradually angling from center to the outboard portion of rear valance. The primary purpose of these strakes is to mitigate tire squirt and high pressure air from entering the expansion chamber. This will also increase the low pressure area that will develop between the two most outboard strakes.
6) Two parallel longitudinal strakes, approximately 40" in length, from the diff to valance will be employed to control and stabilize the low pressure air as it enters the expansion chamber.
7) An appropriately sized NACA duct (CFD) will be positioned forward of the rear differential heat exchanger. This duct will perform two functions. A) Provide the heat exchanger with cooling ram air. B) Create a venturi that draws additional air from the low pressure portion of the underneath between the longitudinal stabilizing strakes. This will increase the pressure differential between the low pressure vehicle under body and high pressure expansion chamber, literally sucking the rear of the car to the pavement.

Such a piece is currently in development. A rendering should be available before the close of the year. I'll keep you posted.
IMG_5844.JPG

Last edited:

EIGHTLUG

Supporting Vendor
Not to derail the Verus diffuser thread... I did speak with 50Deep on the phone and he was okay with me mentioning the diffuser I have in development. I will create a thread for the development and rollout of the diffuser, in the very near future. I'll definitely keep you posted.

Black Boss where are they scraping? Hog pen at VIR. I was wearing out my front splitter there on my last R......

EIGHTLUG

Supporting Vendor
I was in touch with Verus, they said they have no firm plans to make any more diffusers after the run they made for the group buy. They might or might not make more, but nothing firm. So a good opportunity for someone else to step into the breach presents itself @EIGHTLUG ?

@JDee once this diffuser is released, you will immediately realize that the was never going to be a comparison between the two. Verus can continue supplying their part. That will have no bearing on my production. They may outsell me 50:1 but this part is not meant for those 50 cars.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel