The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Very occasional track day car - Wheel/tire size question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'm going to taking my bone stock 2013 Boss 302 LS to a track day in a couple of weeks. Was planning on just running stock wheels/tires but am debating getting a new set just for the very occasional track days. I don't plan on doing any other mods to the car except maybe caster/camber plates and brake pads.

I saw in some other threads the Apex 18x10" ET43 APEX EC-7 Mustang wheels. Seems like a good performance/price upgrade. I'm thinking putting the 18X10's on all four corners.

Also what tire size would you recommend with the above setup? I'm open to any brand but have mostly run Hoosiers in my other cars.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Those would work great.

You can easily fit a 275/35/18 square or possibly up to a 295 (although the Hoosiers only have very short sidewall sizes in 18" 295s). 10" is not wide enough to go up to 315.

You can fit Pirelli P-Zero slicks in 305mm width on 10s, though. There are take-offs available from a number of sources.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
vrinner said:
I'm going to taking my bone stock 2013 Boss 302 LS to a track day in a couple of weeks. Was planning on just running stock wheels/tires but am debating getting a new set just for the very occasional track days. I don't plan on doing any other mods to the car except maybe caster/camber plates and brake pads.

I saw in some other threads the Apex 18x10" ET43 APEX EC-7 Mustang wheels. Seems like a good performance/price upgrade. I'm thinking putting the 18X10's on all four corners.

Also what tire size would you recommend with the above setup? I'm open to any brand but have mostly run Hoosiers in my other cars.

VIRnner:

Would you happen to be planning a track day at Virginia? I didn't see the planned use of DOT4 brake fluid? If your going pads, I'd change out the brake fluid as well.

Good luck with your track day and shoot some pics/vids to post up here on BMO.

Dave
2HP

This is at Fontana in the in-field track.

Car has about 1400 miles on it so here what's been done and check list;

LS Trans cooler installed.
LS brake cooling installed.

Need to do/Must do;
Change filter & oil.
Replace brake fluid with DOT4
Install LS splitter

Wish list
Get wheels and tires (hopefully they will come in on time)
Get track brake pads (any suggestions)

If I were you, I'd skip the dedicated wheels and tires, if you're only going to do a single event a year, or so.
Instead, go ahead and do brake fluid, pads, titanium shims, and possibly ss brake lines.

vrinner said:
This is at Fontana in the in-field track.

Car has about 1400 miles on it so here what's been done and check list;

LS Trans cooler installed.
LS brake cooling installed.

Need to do/Must do;
Change filter & oil.
Replace brake fluid with DOT4
Install LS splitter
Like Sako said skip the wheels. Do the above for your first track day. if you come back wanting more we'll be happy to help you spend your money. ;D

Are you going to the HOD event?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Sarkis knows what he is talking about.

Start with Safety first. MAKE SURE The Car Stops!! Fluid, pads, shims in that order. You have the cooling ducts with the LS. If you need advice on Pads, contact Pete at Track Day Solutions, link is on the right. He can set you up.

A Good helmet and then ENJOY your first track day.

Tires, wheels, suspension parts all make a difference AFTER you know the brakes will be there Every time.

Like Rick said, we will Always be here to help you spend money on your Boss! ;D :eek:

3rd vote for Fluid, pads, shims.

With all the money saved on wheels and tires get one of these to facilitate changing the brake pads in the front before your track day get one of these, makes the job very easy:

brake%20tool%20FT%209000.jpg

Order from this page: http://fulltiltboogieracing.com/2011-2014_Mustang_GT_with_Brembo_Brake_Parts.htm

$15.00 well spent.

I am a big fan of Endless RF-650 brake fluid. I have run it on Laguna Seca and Sonoma Raceway and have had no problems with fade.

This is my first year of tracking my Boss, and honestly I've had good success with the stock brake pads with the cooling ducts. I will probably upgrade to Pagid next year, knowing I will get more brake dust and noise.

You will get dust and noise with track pads, but there is a huge difference when you start to push them even with the cooling ducts. With Hawk's top street pad, even with good fluid and ducts I would get fade and the pads got eaten up. Laguna Seca eats brakes.

With dedicated track pads (I am using ST-43s) no more problems, and it's super easy to change them in before a track day and take them out after, especially with the tool I posted above. Driving to and from the track on the track pads has not been a problem other than a little bit of noise.

If you do go for track pads, make sure you bed them before taking them on the track.

Thanks for all the tips on the Boss. I've been wheel to wheel racing for over 10 years but this is my first time out with the Boss. I dred taking it out because I'll probably like it way more than my dedicated track car.

vrinner said:
...I've been wheel to wheel racing for over 10 years...

Well, that changes everything!

So you have two options.
1. Do not track the boss at all, because see option two.
2. Buy the dedicated wheels and tires along with all the brakes, and eventually suspension and coolers, because it's too late already :p

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
vrinner said:
I dred taking it out because I'll probably like it way more than my dedicated track car.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=5404.0

F.D. Sako said:
Well, that changes everything!

So you have two options.
1. Do not track the boss at all, because see option two.
2. Buy the dedicated wheels and tires along with all the brakes, and eventually suspension and coolers, because it's too late already :p
Yeah, forget what I said...start dippin' into the retirement account...

Fiddler49 said:
Yeah, forget what I said...start dippin' into the retirement account...

Totally...that's what I'm afraid of. Here is a link to my last race car build. Got too much into it to just drop but still want to have some fun with the Boss.

http://www.svoca.com/forum/showthread.php?11916-Ultimate-suspension-upgrades

VooDooBOSS said:
Nice. I recently saw Robby Gordon's SVO powered IMSA car and the 2.3 liter was capable of 750-950 HP! Those fox body race cars are one of my all time favorites.

Yeah...that IMSA car is bad ass. I just dropped a stroked motor into the car (now 2.6). Getting 350rwhp which should be plenty for this car (is it ever enough). Mild tune, 17psi boost, pump gas.

Back to the Boss...

I ordered the brake pad tool, shims, carbotech XP12 front and XP10 rear. I'll do wheels, tires and SS lines next time.

With respect to your tire choices, the 275 35 18 are plentiful, but the car will be seriously under tired on them, that should mean they will be cheap. They do wear pretty consistently though. A better choice, size wise would be the Pirelli 660 18, and 680 18 for the rear. I think you will see them fall of quicker, they are also more expensive by a large margin.

blacksheep-1 said:
With respect to your tire choices, the 275 35 18 are plentiful, but the car will be seriously under tired on them, that should mean they will be cheap. They do wear pretty consistently though. A better choice, size wise would be the Pirelli 660 18, and 680 18 for the rear. I think you will see them fall of quicker, they are also more expensive by a large margin.

What's the difference between the 660 and 680. And yeah...those are pricy!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel