The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Very occasional track day car - Wheel/tire size question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

If you go with 18x10's you can fit 305's. Hoosier still has some new Conti 305/660/18's in the discontinued section of their website for $200 each. The fit up front is very tight so you may want to run a small spacer if you go this route. I run 15mm hubcentric spacers from H&R and they work great.

KBBOSS1086 said:
If you go with 18x10's you can fit 305's. Hoosier still has some new Conti 305/660/18's in the discontinued section of their website for $200 each. The fit up front is very tight so you may want to run a small spacer if you go this route. I run 15mm hubcentric spacers from H&R and they work great.
This sounds like a good setup for the occasional track day car.
Also my event for this weekend got cancelled. Apparently the club we were co-hosting with didn't provide the proper insurance/safety that my club requires. We are trying to get enough people to tag along with Speed Ventures on Oct. 3 and 4. So if anyone want's to run on October 3rd or 4th with the Alfa Club, contact Terry Watson at [email protected] to sign up. We need at least 10 cars. Price is $185/day I believe.

I've also read that if I go with a square tire setup, I should get a softer rear or stiffer front sway bar. Possibly go a setting or two less in the rear stock shocks from the front.

Sound about right?

vrinner said:
I've also read that if I go with a square tire setup, I should get a softer rear or stiffer front sway bar. Possibly go a setting or two less in the rear stock shocks from the front.

Sound about right?

That is the concensus but it's really up to driver preference. I run square with the front shocks on 5 and rears on 4 with mostly stock suspension (spherical end PH bar and camber bolts are the only mods). It's not perfect but I find the setup to be pretty balanced. I'd try the square setup without changing the sway bar, then go from there if you don't like it.

I agree with everyone else, you want the rear end a little softer to take advantage of the weight transfer on corner exit.

With a square setup and stock suspension, I used to run 5/3 shock settings with an 18mm rear bar.

18x10's here with the 305 Pirelli slicks and MM spacer up front......and not hitting the brake ducts at full lock. I went with a 21mm rear bar, CC plates with 2.7 deg (-) and shocks at 5 and 2. Car is pretty neutral.

TMO Supporting Vendors