The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

vibrating clutch question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I have had this issue with my 2013 Boss since new but it has come and gone. I wonder if anyone can shed some light on the problem. Forgive my ignorance as I am way out of my element here.
I dont track the car and generally am not rough on it. At about 1000 miles I felt a vibration through the clutch pedal when shifting from first to second and second to third after inadvertanly launching the car (at low RPMS) from 3rd gear instead of 1st. Dont ask. Dumb.
This vibration lasted for about 500 miles. I could feel it as the pedal came up and it is annoying but the car shifts and I dont detect any slippage.
When the car was in the dealer they of course said it felt normal. I did a few hard launches with the car and suddenly the vibration was gone for about 2000 miles. Now, last weekend, I did a few 0-60 runs (did not dump the clutch from hihg RPMS)and drove a little more agressively (nothing like one would do on the track) than normal and the vibration is back. Is it possible that I have a defect on the surface of the clutch or flywheel? For example, if I am using the clutch poorly can I be glazing the surface or maybe I caused a burnt spot? Other than a major issue which I realize will require a teardown to accurately diagnose is there something simple I can try or check? The strange thing is the way this comes and goes. I would have thought if I had a damaged clutch, flywheel, pressure plate or throwout bearing that would be it - it would be damaged and always create that vibration. Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated. I hope I have properly described it.

Unless someone else knows what it might be I would suggest bringing it back to the dealer, maybe even get up on TMS (themustangsource.com) and PM Deysha, she is a Ford Customer Service Rep and seems to help get the dealers to do their part when it comes to warranty or service work. The least they could do is tear down the trans and see why could be going on in there.

Brandon302 said:
Unless someone else knows what it might be I would suggest bringing it back to the dealer, maybe even get up on TMS (themustangsource.com) and PM Deysha, she is a Ford Customer Service Rep and seems to help get the dealers to do their part when it comes to warranty or service work. The least they could do is tear down the trans and see why could be going on in there.

Ultimately, that might be the only answer. Im wondering too if maybe somehow air is getting into the clutch line but I dont have any fluid leaks I can find.

The clutch and brake systems are connected, if you were having clutch issues because of air coming in then I would assume you would have brake issues also. See also if on SVTP (svtperformance.com) you can get in touch with Hybred, sometimes she still gets on now that she swapped to a CTS-V. She had a ton of trans issues, one being a loose clutch spring which might be causing the vibration in your case.

Brandon302 said:
The clutch and brake systems are connected, if you were having clutch issues because of air coming in then I would assume you would have brake issues also. See also if on SVTP (svtperformance.com) you can get in touch with Hybred, sometimes she still gets on now that she swapped to a CTS-V. She had a ton of trans issues, one being a loose clutch spring which might be causing the vibration in your case.

Clutch spring sounds like a nice easy problem to have! Where is that bad boy located? I have read about people removing the spring entirely but maybe I can at least check it and see if there is anything obviously out of whack.

Twins said:
Clutch spring sounds like a nice easy problem to have! Where is that bad boy located? I have read about people removing the spring entirely but maybe I can at least check it and see if there is anything obviously out of whack.
Sorry, I should have been more specific, the clutch itself has springs in it and one of those was extremely loose, not the assist spring.

Brandon302 said:
Sorry, I should have been more specific, the clutch itself has springs in it and one of those was extremely loose, not the assist spring.

Ahh, I should have figured that is what you meant. Yup. That could easily be what I am feeling. The only thing is I wonder if that problem could come and go like it does. The pedal is buttery smooth for a while and then I run into this where you can feel vibrations through your shoes. No real noise or anything horrible sounding. Just a change in pedal feel.

TMO Supporting Vendors