The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Vibration Noise?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sesshomurai

Hi,
I've read in the past about some vibrations caused by securing the sidepipes too close to the chassis. I'm not sure if that's
happening here since I haven't tampered with the side pipes.

Past 2 days I've been hearing a vibration coming from underneath the passenger side when I accelerate or let off the throttle at high speed.
It sounds like something under the car.

I got under there and tried wiggling a few things, but didn't notice anything loose at all. Seems very tight.

Any clues or similar causes for this noise? It got a bit worse the second day I heard it.

thanks.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
darreng505 said:
Hi,
I've read in the past about some vibrations caused by securing the sidepipes too close to the chassis. I'm not sure if that's

Past 2 days I've been hearing a vibration coming from underneath the passenger side when I accelerate or let off the throttle at high speed.

I got under there and tried wiggling a few things, but didn't notice anything loose at all. Seems very tight.

Two suggestions.

If you are the do it yourself guy. Get a pair of gloves and I believe a 15mm wrench. Loosen the side pipe in question and move it downward away from the body and tighten. See if that removed the noise. Hitting the pipe(s) with your palm, basically bouncing the exhaust in it's mounts can sometimes reproduce the noise. Once determined exactly where the source of noise is, adjust the pipe.

Second suggestion. You have bumper to bumper coverage. If practical, take the car to ford.

Hope this was helpful

Any clues or similar causes for this noise? It got a bit worse the second day I heard it.

thanks.

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
darreng505 said:
Hi,

thanks.
Darreng

You're making the assumption that the vibration could not have come from the factory. I don't think you can make this assumption. The "rattle" you are describing seems to be the classic case of Boss side-pipe rattle. Look underneath the car (passenger side) and tell me home much of a gap is there between the top of the side exhaust (at the rocker) and the bottom of the rocker. Can you put your pinky finger between this gap? You should. Lossen your side exhaust 15 mm nuts and one bolt, readjusting the side exhaust (by twisting) so you widen this gap, then retighten once you get this gap.

Also, something doesn't necessarily have to be lose in order to hear a rattle. Hope this helps.

MMD

My pipe rattled from the factory, as said above try loosening the bolt at the tip and also the one on the band so you can twist the exhaust a little in the band to rotate the band's bolt away from the floor. I could not replicate it by thumping on it. You need a good amount of clearance between the band bolt and the floor. I popped the weld on the band so I could rotate it and turn the bolt away from the floor and it is not an issue anymore, but you can also just twist it in the band. I had to twist it so far I was worried about scraping as the elbows were pointed pretty far down.

Sesshomurai

Thanks guys. Yeah, I might take it in just in case they find other things that need tweaking.

I'll double check the side pipe height though and share that in case it's obviously the culprit. I thought it might be, but it was awfully tight to the hand.

It isn't the pipe itself, it is usually the bolt on the passenger side band. It is at a bad angle and it is way too long.

Sesshomurai

I drove it out last night and didn't hear it. Hmmmmm. Kinda weird. The weather was a tad cooler, so not sure if its heat sensitive or not.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
I too noticed this rattle/vibration from my passenger side pipe, this past Thu. The funny thing was it only manifested itself when letting my buddy test drive it with the Trackey and my 245lbs were in the passenger seat. When only the driver it the car, like it was when I headed home after lunch I didn't notice it. This was after the 3/4 plates were put in. Didn't have the noise when I was a passenger when the wife and I took it for a spin, prior to the 3/4 plates install.

Friday morning I got on my back and just verified the bolts were all tight and just tugged at the side pipe down a little bit towards the ground. It doesn't flex much at all but it does move, so I'm hoping that I gave it just enough of a tweak so that it doesn't rattle any more. Failing that I'll take out the 15mm wrench and re-adjust as Justin suggested.

Guys,

I want to take a different path on the vibration issue for you to consider.

By the way, as i inspected by side pipes and exhaust looking for the noise, it appears the band clamp / bolt floor interference that was an issue in some '12 models has been revised. Using a lift to inspect, I don't have any interference between the exhaust and body and have put the disks in and out several times. (on a long trip my wife is happier if I quiet the side pipes)

The noise i hear could be described as more of a buzzing. Its coming from the passenger side and appears to be in the quarter panel or behind the trim panel for the the rear seat. I can faithfully duplicate it between 3500 and 4000 rpm with the disks out of the side pipes. When the pipes are quieted down, it is much harder to reproduce and rarely happens. While i have not had the time to remove the trim panel and investigate further, my feeling is the noise is a result of a metal to metal contact that is sensitive to the beautiful sound the side pipes make when you are accelerating.

I'll let you know what i find as soon as i can get a few to tear into her.

I had a buzzing I could not determine the source of, it turned out to be a bad clip inside the A pillar. It did sound metallic. So if you pull panels, take a look at the clips.

Sesshomurai

Good thoughts on this subject. Oddly (and maddeningly) enough, after 2 days of hearing this disturbing noise a week or so ago, I have not heard it again.
It hides and waits for a day when I least expect to...then it will return! I will be ready.

TMO Supporting Vendors