The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Video of laps at VIR

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

It's a dual event with Track Club USA and SCMC. I've been involved with SCMC for over 10 years so I know those guys pretty well.
They have a tentitive date of June 8-10th. I'll let everyone know once its confirmed.

They also have a weekend January 28-29th. It's a crap shoot on weather though.

Vir is awesome ! If you get the chance to go ,GO! Here is a video of my first time there .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySs52tn-R8
On the subject of brake pads .CARBOTECH XP 20’S FOR THE FRONT and xp16’s for the rear.These pads are second to none.As a racer for 18 years I have tried everything .These are truly the best pads I ever used .No heat soak ,no fade,minimal brake dust .

roketman said:
OLOABoss said:
NICE! I can see that wasn't your 1st Rodeo ;). What tires were you running?

Peter
Hoosiers
Nice video! I'm currently running upgraded street tires on my Boss, 295x30R, 265x35F Yokohama Neova Advan AD08s on LS type 19" wheels. They are nice a nice compromise but certainly can't compare to a real track tire like the Hoosiers or even the RA-1s I run on my Porsche. Are you using your stock 19" wheels. I know cloud9 is running Hoosiers on 19" wheels and pretty happy with them. However, I'm thinking of keeping the Yokos on the 19" wheels and getting some 18" wheels for track use.

ChuckP said:
roketman said:
OLOABoss said:
NICE! I can see that wasn't your 1st Rodeo ;). What tires were you running?

Peter
Hoosiers
Nice video! I'm currently running upgraded street tires on my Boss, 295x30R, 265x35F Yokohama Neova Advan AD08s on LS type 19" wheels. They are nice a nice compromise but certainly can't compare to a real track tire like the Hoosiers or even the RA-1s I run on my Porsche. Are you using your stock 19" wheels. I know cloud9 is running Hoosiers on 19" wheels and pretty happy with them. However, I'm thinking of keeping the Yokos on the 19" wheels and getting some 18" wheels for track use.
I am waiting for some lightweight wheels in 19’s.They will last longer provide better braking and better turn in with the smaller sidewall .What kind of Porsche do you have?

"I am waiting for some lightweight wheels in 19’s.They will last longer provide better braking and better turn in with the smaller sidewall .What kind of Porsche do you have?"
I know what you mean by lightweight. Just installed track pads on my Boss for VIR and I can tell you lifting those wheels back on the car is a chore! The wheels on my Porsche are cast magnesium so they are really light. The reason I was thinking 18s is a bigger choice of available tires but your point about braking and turn makes sense. My Porsche is an '88 944 Turbo Cup, one of 36 that raced in Canada from '88 to '90. I've owned it since 1990. Here's some pics:
951atPocono.jpg

And a couple of videos:
VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdCYayVkHa0

Daytona
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GCDAzepkj4

roketman said:
Vir is awesome ! If you get the chance to go ,GO! Here is a video of my first time there .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aySs52tn-R8
On the subject of brake pads .CARBOTECH XP 20’S FOR THE FRONT and xp16’s for the rear.These pads are second to none.As a racer for 18 years I have tried everything .These are truly the best pads I ever used .No heat soak ,no fade,minimal brake dust .

Great video. If we are ever up there together and you have the GT I want a ride.....!!!!!!!! I love that car...

On a side note I am going to try the carbotech's because your positive comments on them. I have been having braking issues since I started tracking the car. I think I have it mostly sorted out. Pads should be the last piece of the puzzle...

ChuckP said:
"I am waiting for some lightweight wheels in 19’s.They will last longer provide better braking and better turn in with the smaller sidewall .What kind of Porsche do you have?"
I know what you mean by lightweight. Just installed track pads on my Boss for VIR and I can tell you lifting those wheels back on the car is a chore! The wheels on my Porsche are cast magnesium so they are really light. The reason I was thinking 18s is a bigger choice of available tires but your point about braking and turn makes sense. My Porsche is an '88 944 Turbo Cup, one of 36 that raced in Canada from '88 to '90. I've owned it since 1990. Here's some pics:
951atPocono.jpg

And a couple of videos:
VIR
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdCYayVkHa0

Daytona
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GCDAzepkj4
Chuck ,
Is that you??My favorite timing and scoring guy!!
Boy, were you good to me!
Send me a pm or facebook me

"Chuck ,
Is that you??My favorite timing and scoring guy!!
Boy, were you good to me!
Send me a pm or facebook me"

I should have known it was you when I saw you had a LS, a GTR and a Porsche! I'll PM you with my email addr.

adam81 said:
Chuck,

Let us know what pads you use and your review on them. Thanks!

I'll be running DTC70s front and DTC60s rear (already on the car). However, I have friend in Tampa who is a Pagid distributor and he's getting me a set of RS-29 (yellow) fronts to try for the next event. Pagids have been great on my Porsche. Unfortunately they don't have a rear fitment for the Boss so I'll probably use DTC60s in the back.

Ah, now that I know the true identity of "roketman" (known him for many years) I can tell you he could very well be the STIG! This guy can drive!

Chuck ,
The Carbotechs are the way to go .They put the Pagids to shame!And thats coming from someone who was a pagid guy for years!Call 877-899-5024 Ask for Mike Jr.He should give you a 15% discount if you tell him your a track guy.If that doesn’t work tell him you are a friend of the chief instructor for the Ford Gt driving program,thats me !
I am running the Hoosiers on my stock rims.I run them on the street as well. Kinda like doing crack ,unless you have tried slicks!I am waiting till spring for some lightweight 19’s.You want to run the stock sizes for yaw rate and tire center.
Anyway pm me and I’ll give you my cell!#
Best regards,Ron aka Roketman
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYznd1BShJ0
Check this video out it goes back a some years now The Cameras are front and rear .Recognize the other cup car ? Burger!
I won on the last lap!

Sounds like I need to try Carbotechs! Just worked with Burger at the Eagles Canyon PCA race. What size Hoosiers you running, 295x30 and 265x35? I'll give you a call later.

roketman said:
Chuck ,
The Carbotechs are the way to go .They put the Pagids to shame!And thats coming from someone who was a pagid guy for years!Call 877-899-5024 Ask for Mike Jr.He should give you a 15% discount if you tell him your a track guy.If that doesn’t work tell him you are a friend of the chief instructor for the Ford Gt driving program,thats me !

I am going to try these, how long will they last on the Boss in track days for an intermediate driver? You also said they are easier on the rotors then the Hawk 60-70's correct?

Thanks for the reviews.

2012YellowBoss said:
roketman said:
Chuck ,

I am going to try these, how long will they last on the Boss in track days for an intermediate driver? You also said they are easier on the rotors then the Hawk 60-70's correct?

Thanks for the reviews.
They will last an intermediate driver perhaps all season ,depending on how many days you do.Very nice to your rotors in my limited experience with them.They really have been nothing less than awesome! Adam and Chuck ,I’m dying to hear how you guys like them.

GA
Dean#4AI said:
Here's a video of me trying to keep up with a 302S and a Ford GT. Can't say that I succeded very well.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WENqTt_psFY[/youtube]

Great video- I really want to do VIR next year. As far as keeping up wih the 302S and Ford GT, you had fun and came home with your car in one piece, so that is what matters. :)

TMO Supporting Vendors