The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

VIR Jan 26-27?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
funny!

all in all, it was a great weekend...and story to tell!

i came in saturday morning. roads were ok until i got off I95. those highways were mixed with decent to right lane only traffic. i tried to pass an onld man going 40 in a 55 and almost lost it. performance tires+packed slush=disaster. but, the last 6 miles to the track were farm roads and a complete sheet of ice. i am not being dramatic. there were NO patches of slush or water or dry. ONE SOLID SHEET OF ICE FOR 6 MILES! it was comical at that point...knowing that i was one of the dumbest SOB's for thinking a track day in January was a good idea!

i got to the track and of course it was solid ice as well. got checked into the hotel, which overlooks the track. i watched a pickup truck try to maneuver around the track. looked like a slow speed drifting event. it didn't get above freezing until about noon. they kept taking trucks out to break up the ice. it did finally melt off enough to do parade laps at around 12:30. that got the rest of the ice melted off and we went hot at around 1:30. it was like a really cold rain day track. worked for me, since i had not been to VIR in nearly 2 years, so i needed some time to remember the line. it did start to have patchy dry spots by the end of the day.

Lee Holman gave a speach about the new Holman Moody limited edition 2014 mustang, but focused more on their storied history. their hay day being the 60's. i don't want to knock their car, but it doesn't appeal to my practical wallet philosophy.

sunday was funday! i never saw tire temps greater than 110 all day, but towards the end, i was faster than i had ever been! and the advanced group was together with the instructor group, so we had full hour sessions. not having extreme heat in the tires allowed me to stay on track as long as i wanted.

all the mustangs got together in the afternoon to do a photo shoot for the SVT site. that was pretty cool. it was also great to meet everyone there. i relarked to someone, that i had apprehentions of doing a track day with a group i didn't know anything about. i have been to events that if they don't maintain order, the participants go wild and thats not the environment for me. this event was managed very loosly compared to nasa and the like, but i tell you what, the participants were all top notch. what a great group of people! in basically a free for all situation (speaking only of the advanced group mingling with the instructor group), i never saw agressiveness, impatience or showboating.

it was an excellent experience and anyone who missed it, missed out on a lot of fun.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Thanks for the vid, looking forward to being able to see these tracks in person.

Nice video. How many cars were brave enough to show up?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
i have a pic of the photo shoot and count 15 mustangs. i know there were at least 2 more that didn't get in the shot. one was the holman moody. i would say it was about 50% mustangs, so somewhere around 30-40 cars?

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
finally got to upload a video. i was pissed to find out my final (and best, of course) session wasn't taped because my battery died. it was the stuff of folklore...got behind a c6 vette with hoosiers and we went toe to toe for 3 laps before i backed down. i was giving it everything i had. poor street tires hated me! but alas, i have no evidence of it. anywho, enjoy![youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XpUhjwJ9jAU&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

Hmm, where do I start? Do I get to weigh in now? Well, first let me say that I plan to do a blog on the www.ModularBoss.com website about the weekend but for now, I'll post a brief description about what took place over the weekend.

First let me say we had 9 Boss Mustangs show up. To say I was surprised was an understatement. Everything PuffPuff said was true. it was a sheet of ice in the am and...we actually went hot right on time. Saturday afternoon was definitely a lot of fun running on a wet track. You actually learn more running on a wet track then you do on a dry.

Sunday, the track was completely cleared except for two spots, under the bridge and hog pen. You also had to be careful when you grid out as the overhang from the rooms caused a delay in melting. However, by the afternoon you were running wide ass open. I was running 145 mph on the back stretch consistently and when I learn my car a little more, it will be over 150 mph.

The picture we made of the Boss Mustangs is not for the SVT site, it is for MB website and facebook page. The location of the picture was done on purpose as it has a horse in the background. (Even if it is a Ferarri horse :) )

The reason the event wasn't cancelled was three fold: One we had 35 people who wanted to run regardless and were willing to take the chance on the weather. (We watched the weather closely all week to see how it would turn out, had rain been projected, it would have been cancelled) Two, the Holman/Moody folks wanted to use the weekend to test and tune and they had a lot invested in the w/e. Three, going to VIR is more than just a track weekend, it is an experience, a weekend for relaxing, meeting new friends, and enjoying the environment.

I encourage all Boss owners to come to our May event, a three day event on the full course. I'm already getting registration fees this week and if you do plan to attend, book your room NOW because if you do not and you want to stay at the track, you might not get that opportunity. The Roush Road Crew will be joining up for the Superfest in May, it would great to see a large Boss turnout for the event. More details and updates can be found here: http://www.modularboss.com/forums/showthread.php?81-Modular-Boss-Meet-May-24-26-2013-Virginia-International-Raceway

Feel free to e-mail me at my main e-mail address at [email protected] for questions or concerns.

TMO Supporting Vendors