The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Voodoo 5.2 block for a DIY A52XS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I used 30 -35 inch pounds on the squirters. I'm still waiting to hear from Ford engineers....Now I know why its take years to develop anything...:( I used the coyote spec on bearings..actual dimensions called for number 2 size. I had ordered 2 and 1s. I plastigaged it also and that showed under .0001 clearance so I put the number 1s in and they were closer .0001 clearance which I think is too tight. So I figured to clean them and set them for the rotational test. 12-14 in-pd break away and 10 in-pd rotational. It spins nicely. The only other concern is the end play is a little tighter than I like also. It came out to 7.5 thousands. spec is only stated as < 11 thousands so its in spec but the last modular 4.6 I built came out at 6 thousands and the spec was 5 to 13 thousands. It was too tight with a KB 2.6 blower on it and stacked the thrust bearing after making some test and tune runs on the dyno. So you know what yours came out to. Mike from livernois told me back then that hey prefer to be near the high tolerance on end play on their builds. I have a call into another builder right now as Ford tech line is not too helpful (Ray is gone for the year and he was very helpful and knowledgeable) but the new guy thought the 10 in-pd rotation was super. Me too as long as its not too loose.

BTW the thread on the squirters is .75mm. Not sure where they came up with that but at least they are captive in the hole they are in so the can't go anywhere if they vibrate out.

I know what you mean about the business. I'm trying to set up something on the side to help support the racing but the racing and prep and mods eat up so much time that I can't get to producing the parts I want to start selling. Now you have me worried I won't get to race if If I get the business solidly up and running.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
.0001 clearance is hopefully a "zero added" typo! clearance is supposed to be .0011-.0025. mine dialed in at .0019 to .0021

your end play is in the middle of the range, so i'd call it just right...whether it is just right for the strain of a supercharger belt cantilevered off the front, is a different conversation.

as for the business, i wish i had stuck it out in my garage. i could have bought 4 boss R's if i didn't invest in the brick and mortar. im hoping the effort turns into a boss R per year kind of thing in the future, but right now its just more work and stress. the plus side is the legacy being created out of nothing but a few ideas. that's pretty bitchin!

Thanks, Yep an extra 0 in there. I don't think it would spin to well with 1 ten thousands clearance!! :0.. Cranks is in now and moving on to the pistons assembly now. I already balanced and checked bob weight setup. Crank actually came balanced from ford and is only 12grams higher than a 50% balance job but if your were to overbalance using 52% then its 13 grams light. I have heard ands researched arguments for even and overbalance but it appears to be personal preference. Since in at 51% I guess i'm splitting the difference by default. Good news is the heads finally showed up so I'm pushing forward harder now to get this built and ready to swap out this weekend hopefully.

Good luck with the business. My parents built a Manufactured home business starting back in early 60's and we still have it and are the only Manufactured Housing company to not have ever filed bankruptcy. It why I can do this much racing now. I just want to have my own small business. It great to built a company for your self. I very proud and thankful for my parents hard work and it has taught me most of what I know.
Adapt..improvise...overcome...persevere...to succeed.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel