The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Voodoo dry sump?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does the 350 R motor have a dry sump? If not why? One of the reasons I am leaning away from the Vettes is that even WITH some of the motors (LS7) having a dry sump it's not actually that they put in the best design that was available.

The other thing (I was making a couple of offers on c6z's) is the known problem with the heads & valves. A vendor in Canada screwed up about 50% of the heads in the early ls7 motors (2006 & up) "Maybe" it was fixed by 2010 - 2013. GM is VERY closed mouth about the whole mess.

The dry sump & the valve issue are sort of different questions, but a reliable motor is very high on my list of needs. Do these flat plane crank motors last?

There is a track I run that includes nascar banking for part of the course (Fontana, CA roval configuration) so long sweepers @ 150 are to be planned for (occasionally).

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

:)

There is no difference between an R and non R motor and drive train. No dry sump is available without spending a lot of money. Google GT350 oil pan for photos of the stock plastic unit.

The motors have been very reliable so far and a few members have run Fontana/Daytona with no issues.

TMO Supporting Vendors