The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Voodoo Intake on the 5.0 Part # 9424A

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The parts number and info for the 5.2L voodoo intake is now out. I expect to see this available from Ford Performance in a kit form sometime next year. Between the intake allowing for higher revs and increased torque plus the addition of the larger throttle body this could make the Cobra Jet intake look like a minor upgrade. 8) The intake lists for $2,725 but expect it to be a lot cheaper in the kit from Ford Performance. For those not upgrading to a GT350 this might be a great way to fill their rear view mirrors. ;)

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=AGuw1W3US9aiTWVyuaVuFw%3d%3d&id=323593408&m=2&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang

0Shot%202015-07-17%20at%206.36.29%20PM_zpsyvqpjra5.png

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
NFSBOSS said:
Its on the 5.0 in the video.

The '15 GTs have the CMCVs too IIRC.

I'm assuming that with the same deck height that it should bolt even if you need to disable/lock the valves. Otherwise, I'm sure somebody would come up with delete/adapter plates to make it work.

NFSBOSS said:
The parts number and info for the 5.2L voodoo intake is now out. I expect to see this available from Ford Performance in a kit form sometime next year. Between the intake allowing for higher revs and increased torque plus the addition of the larger throttle body this could make the Cobra Jet intake look like a minor upgrade. 8) The intake lists for $2,725 but expect it to be a lot cheaper in the kit from Ford Performance. For those not upgrading to a GT350 this might be a great way to fill their rear view mirrors. ;)

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/PartDetail.aspx?n=AGuw1W3US9aiTWVyuaVuFw%3d%3d&id=323593408&m=2&search=true&year=2016&make=Ford&model=Mustang

0Shot%202015-07-17%20at%206.36.29%20PM_zpsyvqpjra5.png

I don't know, the intake runners on the GT350 are massive when you compare them to the ones on the 2015 GT. You could probably do it but it would be a heck of a step IMO. I forget how big the intake runners are on the Boss 302 heads though to be honest since I no longer have the heads in the garage. I have pictures of the GT350 heads comparing against the GT heads on my phone so I can post those tonight when I get a chance to.

ArizonaBOSS said:
I wonder if this will be compatible with our cars, and if they will come up with a way to control the cmcvs....

Just delete the CMCV like we did on the 3V engines. problem solved haha

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
As easy (?) as it may be to think about deleting the CMCVs, it's probably going to be more of a detriment than a help on this particular manifold.

The CMCVs are how they are keeping the engine driveable and produce more low end torque. The reason we pulled these in the 3V motors is because of the direct airflow impact of having the valves in the middle of the intake runner. The Voodoo CMCVs fold flat against the side of the manifold and have little to no restriction compared to the 3V types.

A CJ manifold might be the easier solution in this scenario, since you're basically turning the Voodoo intake into a high-RPM-only piece without the valves.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I wouldn't worry about drivability unless you also went to an aluminum flywheel and race clutch. If it's not a lot more than a CJ intake, then I could see giving it a try.

Grant 302 said:
I wouldn't worry about drivability unless you also went to an aluminum flywheel and race clutch. If it's not a lot more than a CJ intake, then I could see giving it a try.

I have a race clutch and AL flywheel. I average about 3 stalls trying to move the car in 1st gear. Lol

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Sean said:
http://www.mustang6g.com/?p=8161

Some decent gains way up top on the GT

No losses anywhere and lots of gains up top...WINNER!

Only real question is will the valvetrain in the base 5.0 hold up?

Ford Performance has been tweaking this for about 18 months. What I want to know is if this is a better option than a CJ intake. My thought is it may not produce the total HP number but might be more usable especially for those that don't want to rev their engines past 7,500.

BTW the soon to be released FP kit will look OEM. ;)

GT350-Intake-Install-Dyno-1024x636.png
GT350-Intake-Manifold-2015-Mustang-GT-Dyno-657x360.jpg

It should work fine on any coyote or Boss motor.

VooDooBOSS said:
Ford Performance has been tweaking this for about 18 months. What I want to know is if this is a better option than a CJ intake. My thought is it may not produce the total HP number but might be more usable especially for those that don't want to rev their engines past 7,500.

BTW the soon to be released FP kit will look OEM. ;)

GT350-Intake-Install-Dyno-1024x636.png
GT350-Intake-Manifold-2015-Mustang-GT-Dyno-657x360.jpg

It should work fine on any coyote or Boss motor.
What's the difference between this and the part on the ford performance website now?

BigTaco said:
What's the difference between this and the part on the ford performance website now?
I believe it's the same part. FP is coming out with a complete kit that includes intake, TB, CAI and tune. My understanding is there will be one for the S197 coyote/Boss but I could be mistaken on that and maybe it's just for the 2015+ GT's.

Mad Hatter said:
So this would be theoretically OK for an older Coyote as well??

I wouldn't think so as you have the butterfly valves inside of the manifold, but I haven't seen anyone try a 15+ intake yet.

Also keep in mind you would need a new throttle body as well as the GT350 uses a larger TB that the standard GT which I am sure FRPP is going to be solving in their kit.

TMO Supporting Vendors