The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Vortech supercharger?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford Racing Part Number F28M6066MGT624D. This may be an option for those worried about powertrain, as it comes with a warranty:
"The supercharger is a 2.3L twin-screw setup and helps the Mustang put down 624-hp and 536 ft-lbs of torque. That is a very nice increase from the factory 412-hp and 390 ft-lbs of torque. “Superchargers are the ultimate in power upgrades for Mustang enthusiasts,” George Goddu, Ford Racing Performance Group Manager said.

Those looking for a nice increase without the overpowering 600+ figure can opt for a 525-hp kit with a 12 month, 12,000 mile warranty. And in addition to the mid-level 624-hp kit is a tuner kit for racing and extreme enthusiasts. No horsepower figures were released for that kit, but we’re guessing it’s pretty extreme.

Costs range from $6,499 for black to $8,099 for polished chrome. Naturally Ford Racing didn’t release what the supercharger does in terms of hampering mpg, but they were nice enough to share that the kit adds 47 lbs to the car. We’re going to guess that’s not exactly noticeable with the globs of horsepower that comes with it"

I will talk to the dealer to see if this is the right kit for the Boss as well (custom tune). I have mixed feelings about this trackey. First of all, it would have been nice of them to include that with the cost of the car, as trying to squeeze another $400 out of all of us that are curious just feels wrong. And in the mean time, we cannot modify anything, as that would make the trackey adjustments less effective. I want my Boss to compete with the new ZL1 coming out that looks like a beast of a car with more than a few extra ponies. Will let everyone know what I figure out from Ford.

jpl5007 said:
I have mixed feelings about this trackey. First of all, it would have been nice of them to include that with the cost of the car, as trying to squeeze another $400 out of all of us that are curious just feels wrong. And in the mean time, we cannot modify anything, as that would make the trackey adjustments less effective.

I'm with you on that. I have been sitting on my hands, because I don't want to make changes that will interfere with the trackey, like a CAI & Tune. I sure would like to know if my money would be better spent on that or the trackey, but I guess we won't know until it is available.

GA
IMHO, if you want to slap a supercharger on a Boss you should have bought a GT500. If you start messing with the Boss too much you will ruin the balance.

IMHO, if you want to slap a supercharger on a Boss you should have bought a GT500. If you start messing with the Boss too much you will ruin the balance.
Could you please explain a little more? I bought the boss because it was 15k less than a shelby and offered better track capabilities. People have been putting various superchargers on the GT for years with amazing results. The Boss is a more capable GT. Exactly what balance do you believe would be thrown off by adding a supercharger? The way I was looking at things was:
Stock Boss: $41K + Supercharger installed: $6-8K = $9-11K less than a shelby, with better track capabilities?

In terms of the trackey, the guys at Evolution Performance (check out their vids on youtube getting Mustangs in the 8s) told me the trackey won't really be offering anything too worthwhile outside of launch control, so the rumors of a few extra hp isn't true. They have already done 2 superchargers on the Boss with good results.

In terms of its effect on the Boss's "balance" etc there are several issues. I have an 07 GT500 with the 2.3L TVS referenced above and it puts down 640rwhp/625rwtq. That said, guess what else you get to do for supporting mods?

Upgraded driveshaft (you'll snap the stocker at that power level, particularly if you put sticky tires on it.)
Upgraded control arms to alleviate incredible wheel hop
Upgraded radiator to help control the heat
Driveshaft safety loop
Upgraded transmission (Getrag rated to approx 600 crank hp)
Other parts needed to make the Tremec 6060 or equivalent transmission work with the Boss.
Upgraded clutch

So if you do all these supporting mods you're going to be in GT500 $ territory anyway and running on a 5.0 vs 5.4L block with higher compression that will take less boost. i.e. you could bump up the 5.4L motor to much higher power levels than the 5.0 using forced induction.

And after all is said and done you'll probably have no shot of ever running this boosted Boss on a road course for more than a couple laps before overheating. I have to put a larger pulley on my GT500 to run it on the road course for 20+ minute sessions. That lowers the power to 575rwhp/545 rwtq.

Very helpful info Cloud9, so would you recommend any mods for performance increase in street use or just keep stock and wait for the trackey?

GA
jpl5007 said:
Could you please explain a little more? I bought the boss because it was 15k less than a shelby and offered better track capabilities. People have been putting various superchargers on the GT for years with amazing results. The Boss is a more capable GT. Exactly what balance do you believe would be thrown off by adding a supercharger? The way I was looking at things was:
Stock Boss: $41K + Supercharger installed: $6-8K = $9-11K less than a shelby, with better track capabilities?

In terms of the trackey, the guys at Evolution Performance (check out their vids on youtube getting Mustangs in the 8s) told me the trackey won't really be offering anything too worthwhile outside of launch control, so the rumors of a few extra hp isn't true. They have already done 2 superchargers on the Boss with good results.

Gary "Cloud9" said it well. Think of all the development that went into making the Boss the best handling and balanced road course Mustang, so why mess with it? You can get a Shelby GT500 with SVT package and leather Recaro seats on the X-plan discount now for about 51K, which is only 7K more than a Boss with Recaros at MSRP, so that is why I said if you want more HP get the new Shelby, which also has a lot of development behind it (and a power train with a longer track record).

The Shelby does offer what?, another 100 HP approximately but from everything I have read the Boss will hang right with the Shelby in straight line performance; 0-60 and 1/4 mile and the Boss will dust the Shelby at the track.

So what does all that extra HP get you? Granted it gets you bragging rights as in "hey my car has 550hp and 510 ft lbs of torque" and its a Shelby??? I don't know but up until about 4 mos ago (when I started reading about the Boss) I was dead set on ordering a 2012 silver GT500 with the SVT perf package and stripe delete, now I am not sure what I am going to order. The Boss is really making a compelling case in my opinion as high revving NA motors are really appealing to me. I mean who wouldn't rather spin a V8 to 7500 RPM rather than 6200?

bullseye said:
The Shelby does offer what?, another 100 HP approximately but from everything I have read the Boss will hang right with the Shelby in straight line performance; 0-60 and 1/4 mile

The Boss is really making a compelling case in my opinion as high revving NA motors are really appealing to me. I mean who wouldn't rather spin a V8 to 7500 RPM rather than 6200?
Couldn't have said it better.

GA
bullseye said:
The Shelby does offer what?, another 100 HP approximately but from everything I have read the Boss will hang right with the Shelby in straight line performance; 0-60 and 1/4 mile and the Boss will dust the Shelby at the track.

So what does all that extra HP get you? Granted it gets you bragging rights as in "hey my car has 550hp and 510 ft lbs of torque" and its a Shelby??? I don't know but up until about 4 mos ago (when I started reading about the Boss) I was dead set on ordering a 2012 silver GT500 with the SVT perf package and stripe delete, now I am not sure what I am going to order. The Boss is really making a compelling case in my opinion as high revving NA motors are really appealing to me. I mean who wouldn't rather spin a V8 to 7500 RPM rather than 6200?

It really is going to boil down to what you want and how you will use it. If this is just another car in your garage and you will use it for the track, then the Boss would be best. If this is your only car and you will only track it a few times a year (or not at all), the Shelby is probably a better choice since it offers more comfort and style. Only you will be able to decide which one is best for you.

What's the point of buying the boss. You can just supercharge a regular gt. The whole idea is that it's NOT supercharged. That's what makes it a real racecar

I have a 2011 GT500 that I bought in Feb. I took it to the track when it was 9 days old and got hooked. I ordered the Griggs SS suspension pkg, and I've been tracking it while waiting for my parts. I LOVE this car! The power is unbelieveable. BUT! 105 degree temps are giving me heat problems after a few laps. Now my suspension is sitting in my office and I have a Boss on order. If I where you, and I'm not, I would drive your car for a while before changing anything.

If you want a bad ass Mustang for the street and an occasional track day, get a GT500. You'll love it.
If you want a bad ass track Mustang, get a Boss. (I think)

TMO Supporting Vendors