The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Wake up Ford...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Not an argument , just an explanation , that may make some sense concerning warranty claims. What you are seeing with Ford, is the same with Chevrolet, FCA and others and frankly it is due to Dealer misrepresentation. Honest Dealers take the brunt , but due to issues with false claims , it has now become mandatory to send in pictures and proof of certain concerns. Yes , this does delay things, frustrates the consumer , and is not the way one would like business done. It was deemed necessary because there were too many claims that could not be verified and that caused a change in the system. Having known the past Director for Warranties in the US, I can tell you Ford is more lenient than many manufacturers with drivers who track or use their Stangs as intended. Small consolation and I realize folks will still be frustrated due to a longer process for approval, just felt the need to explain why this has occurred in the last few years.

Last edited:

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I like the explanation Bill...but what would you suggest is done differently to make the warranty/claim process cleaner for the good/honest dealers?

I can tell you Ford is more lenient than many manufacturers with drivers who track or use their Stangs as intended.

There's solid proof from here of that for Boss/GT350/Perf pack owners. So, I don't think that's in question at all. But I don't think there's as much leeway for damage done at the track in many GTs.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I honestly think the only way there will be some changes is for customers to constantly complain to Ford. The issue is not a Blue Oval one, it is Industry wide and it is an attempt to police the real claims , because so many have proved over the years to be false , borderline, and questionable. I think the only viable answer ( currently) is to give the Reps more control of okaying claims, as presently most are sent off to a Central Office for clarification. As noted , this is similar to the process being used by most Manufacturers today.

It's unfortunate that a few bad apples have kinda screwed the majority of the customer base over. You're right that it's industry wide, doesn't really make it excusable.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I ran a fleet for 19 years and most warranty problems with the Big 3 was painful. You would see a problem pop up on several vehicles and the usual response was, never seen that before. The best you could do was to find a dealer you could work with.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
In trying to be fair to the entire situation, keep in mind it is not all based on Dealers who put in questionable claims ( I was too generalized in this area), but also due to falsifications by consumers. The way things are done today are a culmination of concerns and problems and I apologize for making super simplistic, as false claims are only one issue. Not defending anyone, but phony claims by consumers also have been another problem. Working with the performance side , I have seen some things that are easy to see that neither the Manufacturer or the Dealer was at fault, but I still think there needs to be items addressed to protect honest Dealers, customers, and keep the Manufacturer in a better light. That is why more direct control by the Factory Rep is highly necessary. Many of them have been hampered by having to wait until a Team ( offsite ) at Corporate make a decision, and it just does not function as well as person to person. Again, this is not a Ford problem in my experience , but one that is Industry wide -- obviously some Companies are better than others.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
Fusion or a bit smaller, maybe in the 108-110 wheelbase range, which is still a decent family-sedan size (and bracketed by Ford's two best-selling sedans). Hadn't put much more thought into it than that.

For some unknown reason the notice of reply to this topic ended up in my spam folder.

Norm

Wolvee

Full Time Nerd
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Historic Triangle
I know one things for sure, I'll never buy another brand new Ford. Ford Dealerships are the worst trash in the industry and Ford lets them getaway with it.

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Hard to believe that there not making money on the fusion, You sure see a lot of them.
I guess one thing Ford and Chrysler have going for them are the cars they build in Europe.
If things go south they can always import Euro cars while they switch over plants to build them here.
Lets hope the bean counters are kept away from the Mustang.

Grant 302

Lets hope the bean counters are kept away from the Mustang.
Nah, I hope those working on Team Mustang keep the bean counters happy. I think that's part of how we got the Boss in the first place, and why we keep getting better products.

I know one things for sure, I'll never buy another brand new Ford. Ford Dealerships are the worst trash in the industry and Ford lets them getaway with it.

Then Ford won't care what your opinion is...

IF there's a story to share about your dealership experience, please do. Otherwise, this is not an open call to bash Ford.

Grant 302

A 2018 + GT PP2 with a 3160, with all the coolers for say, another $1,500 option on top of the PP2 would have been hard to not buy. Would put a base PP2 at around $47k, a fully 11k lower than the GT350.

Hrm. Sounds like the Mach 1...maybe Ford listens more than people think.

Hrm. Sounds like the Mach 1...maybe Ford listens more than people think.

Ha! Thanks for tagging me. What's funny is when I read the Mach 1 release information I was like HELL YEAH! Sounds like the perfect car and honestly Ford has slow burned the S550 pretty incredibly since 2015 releasing enhancements and new models regularly that spice up the platform.

Right now I'm actually going backwards, have a 97 cobra and about to buy a 3v 2006. I'll most definitely monitor their used prices though.

Grant 302

Ha! Thanks for tagging me. What's funny is when I read the Mach 1 release information I was like HELL YEAH! Sounds like the perfect car and honestly Ford has slow burned the S550 pretty incredibly since 2015 releasing enhancements and new models regularly that spice up the platform.

Right now I'm actually going backwards, have a 97 cobra and about to buy a 3v 2006. I'll most definitely monitor their used prices though.
I liked your post then, but I like it even better now!

It’s only ‘backwards’ in a timeline perspective, IMO. I still want to build a ‘11/‘12 V6 for dedicated track use...but also replace the ‘11 GT...and possibly with a Mach 1. Pretty much ditched the idea of getting a 350 because of flat plane crank issues. I think around the time I started this thread.

I liked your post then, but I like it even better now!

It’s only ‘backwards’ in a timeline perspective, IMO. I still want to build a ‘11/‘12 V6 for dedicated track use...but also replace the ‘11 GT...and possibly with a Mach 1. Pretty much ditched the idea of getting a 350 because of flat plane crank issues. I think around the time I started this thread.

I've read some good things about the 3.7 cars.

I came from a 15 GT PP, then a 2017 GT350 (blew the motor, then wrecked it). Absolutely amazing car, but I think as an overall package the Mach 1 could be the one to have.

Grant 302

I've read some good things about the 3.7 cars.
It’s a good engine, but didn’t seem to get much support from Ford Racing at the time. Programming akin to the Coyote ProCal and Boss TracKey would have been ideal to me. Heel-toe on the stock tune and the few aftermarket tunes that I’ve driven in friends cars basically suck in that regard. Worse than the OEM GT tunes for the throttle blip anyway.

I came from a 15 GT PP, then a 2017 GT350 (blew the motor, then wrecked it). Absolutely amazing car, but I think as an overall package the Mach 1 could be the one to have.
Mach 1 could certainly meet my needs.

I hope you were treated well by Ford with your 350...especially regarding this thread and your dealer.

It’s a good engine, but didn’t seem to get much support from Ford Racing at the time. Programming akin to the Coyote ProCal and Boss TracKey would have been ideal to me. Heel-toe on the stock tune and the few aftermarket tunes that I’ve driven in friends cars basically suck in that regard. Worse than the OEM GT tunes for the throttle blip anyway.

Mach 1 could certainly meet my needs.

I hope you were treated well by Ford with your 350...especially regarding this thread and your dealer.

The 3.7 probably takes some weight off the front end which would only be a good thing for these heavy cars. Supposedly the 3.7s hold up well to forced induction too, if that's your thing.

I was in line to get an extended warranty, I literally got my car back on Thursday, prepped it for a track day Friday and crashed it Saturday...so I never got anything. Luckily I made out on the insurance payout so there's that.

TMO Supporting Vendors