The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

WANTED: 1 rear rim with tire

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BLAZN BOSS

I am looking for 1 rear rim with tire to use as an emergency spare when i travel to Charlotte for the 50th annv. I don't want to travel from Va. without it. I don't care how bad its scratched up, would really like at least a tiny bit of tread but not bald or wore thru to the steel belts remember it's a spare. PM me with price if you have one you would like to sell.

Why not a front wheel and tire?

BTW I'm going to make up a spare as well for my drive to Vegas. I have some info on this and will start a thread on this soon.

Look forward to the definitive thread on what fits and works. Please keep the details like exact tire and wheel size and what you did in the truck including any needed retaining brackets

BLAZN BOSS

A rear rim and tire will match the opposite side in the rear and will not burn up the posi unit. The front factory size tire is taller, not good to have different tire diameters on the rear axle . If in an emergency a shorter rear on the front will do fine and wont damage the car until you get to a place to have the flat fixed.

What would I use? I have an LS, and plan on autocrossing and a couple DE days this spring / summer. If I buy a spare rim and tire which one do I get? The larger rear rim and tire size or front rim and tire size?

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
Anybody pull the trigger on this? What did you decide, front or rear size? Anybody actually have to put to use because of a flat tire? I'm wanting to put this to bed and buy something but I'm still confused, not an unusual situation for me. :-\

Not to sound stupid, but why don't you just purchase a LS Replica Wheel from AmericanMuscle with a Tire?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/2010-mustang-wheels.html

That way you don't have to "Search" and you will have the rim size you want and tire you want, and later on you can make the set complete if you want (I have been thinking of doing this and "Saving" my Original Wagon-Wheel Rims/Tires), especially since Pirelli rubber is EXPENSIVE!

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
I'm going to use one of my original wheels, they're just sitting in my shed and try to find a "gently" used tire. The comment in reply #6 about messing up the rear end is what puzzles me.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Fomoco302 said:
I'm going to use one of my original wheels, they're just sitting in my shed and try to find a "gently" used tire. The comment in reply #6 about messing up the rear end is what puzzles me.
different heights will make the posi unit slip on its disc continuously and burn up the clutch packs rather quickly. so if you use a front size dont leave it on for very long is what I think he is saying.

Time to revisit the Discount Tire solution.

According to the people at allfordmustangs.com an 18x8.5 wheel along with a 225/50R18 will clear the rotors.

I checked Pirelli site for the "Standard Boss" rear tire diameter(26.8") and revolutions per mile (751.02) for the 285/35 ZR 19.

A Goodyear Eagle LS2 225/50 18 measures 26.8" and 750.9 revolutions per mile.

Take a look at the Drag Wheel DR31. It was the most affordable wheel ($147.00) I could find in a 8.5 to 9.5 width.

One last thing, check to see if there are any used tires around the shop. When I mentioned that I was looking for a spare, they found a like new Yokohama for $70.00

The wheel clears the front rotors, matches the rear tire diameter and fits in the spare tire well. I was out the door for $255.

Great info on the spare that fits the spare wheel well! I ended up going the spare original rear wheel route. Next question would be what to get for a spare jack? Can we use a scissor jack on our cars? I would think so since it's still a standard body & frame.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Fiddler49 said:
Great info on the spare that fits the spare wheel well! I ended up going the spare original rear wheel route. Next question would be what to get for a spare jack? Can we use a scissor jack on our cars? I would think so since it's still a standard body & frame.
yes you can

OrangeBoss said:
The wheel clears the front rotors, matches the rear tire diameter and fits in the spare tire well. I was out the door for $255.

"Fits" diameter-wise but sticks up quite a bit out of the well as I understand. I'd really like a solution that doesn't eat up trunk space for travel.

I just measured 2 1/2" of a height difference. I folded a cardboard box cover on each side of the spare as a temporary spacer, and then put the trunk mat over that.

Since the mat is reinforced, everything is relatively flat on the trunk floor.

TMO Supporting Vendors