The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Warning

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FYI- I pulled out from a side street ahead of a pack of cars 3 lanes wide that just left a stop light. I needed to cross over to the far left turn lane (4 lanes of traffic) If I did this aggressively it was doable. So I nailed it in first and then shifted to second still under half to 3/4 throttle. I expected the car to slide a little bit sideways during this maneuver and was ready for that but when it started to do that, the traction control and computer system said game over and shut it down. Foot went to the floor and no go until it stopped sliding and spinning. I still had enough momentum to beat the traffic.

Lesson learned, remember to shut your traction control off before you drive like a bone head. Or just wait !!!

Had I pulled out in front of a semi that couldn't stop this could have been ugly

As Gary knows I am in the other camp, the traction control has saved my butt many times.

Now that I have gotten use to the car I can really feel the difference in the "full mode" and "sport mode". Still don't know the exact parameters of the difference in sport mode vs. leaving it on but I forgot to run it in sport mode once this weekend and I could feel it go off on almost every turn. In sport mode it does over burden me but when I miss a turn bad I can feel it keeping me straight.

In the future I will try turning it off but I feel I have a lot to learn before that time comes.

What do you mean "Sport Mode" v. "Full Mode"? Do you mean 1 time push of the traction control button? Sport mode as I understand it is only a steering function....?

BOSS1289 said:
What do you mean "Sport Mode" v. "Full Mode"? Do you mean 1 time push of the traction control button? Sport mode as I understand it is only a steering function....?

Start the Car = full Advanced Trac which is traction control (rear wheel spin) and stability control

One tap with or without foot on brake = traction control only off - repeat to turn back on.

Two quick taps with foot on brake = sport mode a lesser version of advanced trac.

Hold button down for five seconds with foot on brake advanced trac (TC & SC) completely off.

98RedGT

2012 #552
2012YellowBoss said:
BOSS1289 said:

Start the Car = full Advanced Trac which is traction control (rear wheel spin) and stability control

One tap with or without foot on brake = traction control only off - repeat to turn back on.

Two quick taps with foot on brake = sport mode a lesser version of advanced trac.

Hold button down for five seconds with foot on brake advanced trac (TC & SC) completely off.

I've read the manual cover to cover but don't recall this information. Where are you getting it from? Did I miss something in the manual or supplement?

Page 213 in the second edition PDF. It's always been there. ;)

regalt87 said:
FYI- I pulled out from a side street ahead of a pack of cars 3 lanes wide that just left a stop light. I needed to cross over to the far left turn lane (4 lanes of traffic) If I did this aggressively it was doable. So I nailed it in first and then shifted to second still under half to 3/4 throttle. I expected the car to slide a little bit sideways during this maneuver and was ready for that but when it started to do that, the traction control and computer system said game over and shut it down. Foot went to the floor and no go until it stopped sliding and spinning. I still had enough momentum to beat the traffic.

Lesson learned, remember to shut your traction control off before you drive like a bone head. Or just wait !!!

Had I pulled out in front of a semi that couldn't stop this could have been ugly

I had the opposite happen, having not driven a Mustang with more than 315hp ever. I decided to put the Boss in Sport mode until I learned to manage the differences between my 07 GT/CS (Shelby GT conv) vs the Boss. Over the next month I became accustom to AdvanceTrac interrupting a little sideways action just when I was starting to have fun. Then one day, AdvanceTrac just bailed on me.
“Its all you buddy, enjoy the ride!” I regained control without hitting anything thankfully! Now AdvanceTrac is off at the turn of the key. I will trust myself from now on, Thank You!

Chris

Manual is on 3rd ed now, supp is on 2nd.

I made little flash cards with how to set TC, LC and pit speed, laminated them and put them in the glove compartment. I keep hitting the trunk button when I try to hit the TC button though

CaliMR said:
Manual is on 3rd ed now, supp is on 2nd.

I keep hitting the trunk button when I try to hit the TC button though
LOL, just be thankful they gave us a trunk release button. There's no trunk release button on my '07 GT500. You have to use the button on the key fob or the car key itself ???

Thanks goodness the trunk buttom only works with the car stopped or my trunk would get opened daily. It is nice to have just the same. Now if Ford would just release an aftermarket SYNC kit.

I pop the trunk before timed laps for more downforce ;D

You have to hit the TC button while stopped to turn it off completely or go into sport mode right? I have only actually done it twice iirc. I want to put a little clear plastic box with a hinge over the TC button, like they have over the missile buttons in the movies.

CaliMR said:
You have to hit the TC button while stopped to turn it off completely or go into sport mode right?

Correct, there may be a below 5 MPH thing but since you need to step on the brake anyway it is better to do at a complete stop. Shutting off just TC can be done without being at a complete stop as far as I know but there may be an upper speed limit on that.

Thanks for the update on the Sport Mode, I have only turned off TC so far I guess. One thing I noticed is that even with TC on, I have not noticed a cut out in power. I assumed that it was controlling with the brakes, not engine control.....

I am going to try Sport Mode when I go to Road Atlanta on April 1st! (Hopefully go)

TMO Supporting Vendors