The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Warped Axles

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I'd been hearing an annoying high pitched squeal from the rear. I figured maybe I damaged a wheel bearing when I hammered out my studs and replaced with the ARP studs.

So I took the car in for an oil change and diff oil change (guy thought I was nuts doing the diff oil at 5000 miles) and asked them to look into the squeal. Calls back a couple hours later and tells me both my axles are warped!

Besides one off track spin and a bit of wheel hop on cold days I can't imagine what I may have done to warp both axles.

Anyone else have this happen?

Ford is replacing axles and hubs under warranty (which includes the diff service :) ). I only have to pay to have him them move my studs into the new hubs.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Off track adventures can do all sorts of damage. I did a drifting event in my old g35 coupe and dropped one wheel off just before the gator and it destroyed the suspension. Strut, a-arm and outer tie rod were all fubar.

Excessive wheel hop could also have caused this. It's very violent to drivetrain parts.

That said, I have never heard of this on these cars.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Also never heard of that. I did have my ring and pinion replaced around 5k miles due to whine; it's more likely that is the culprit. But if they are replacing it all, whatever.

This wasn't a whine. This was a metal on metal squeal.
Like a raw caliper on a rotor sound that got worse over the last week independent of braking.
If it continues I will point out the ring and pinion as a possibility so thanks for that.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel