The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Warranty clutch replacement tips and tricks?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ford is replacing my clutch/pressure plate assembly, throwout bearing, and slave cylinder today and tomorrow. Are there any items I should be aware of in terms of best practices or things to keep an eye out for?

Yes install an aftermarket clutch and have Ford pick up the labor.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
Warn them about the shift knob being installed with loctite! The dealer has now broken two of my shift knobs... used a pipe wrench to get the first one off and then over-tightened the second one resulting in it splitting ::)

JScheier said:
Warn them about the shift knob being installed with loctite! The dealer has now broken two of my shift knobs... used a pipe wrench to get the first one off and then over-tightened the second one resulting in it splitting ::)

What? Do they have chimps working there?

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
cosm3os said:
What? Do they have chimps working there?

:) they actually reinstalled the one which had been removed with a pipe wrench. It was obvious they didn't even use a rag between the ball and wrench. I've not been too impressed with their methods, but they have not questioned anything I've brought in... at least not yet.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Install the Cobra Jet Pulse Ring at the same time, if you can get one or if they have one in-stock.

https://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22870

NFSBOSS said:
Yes install an aftermarket clutch and have Ford pick up the labor.
This, or plan on doing it again relatively soon if you're pushing the car hard on the track. It's too far to travel to track events for me to keep going home from a failed clutch. It's even worse if it takes your trans with it.

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I know there are some GT guys on here too - still seem like the clutch/tranny issues are more prominent in the Boss's or are a lot of the GT's failing too? I hate to say anything, but mine has been great so far.... now it will implode next time I'm out.

DMichaels said:
I know there are some GT guys on here too - still seem like the clutch/tranny issues are more prominent in the Boss's or are a lot of the GT's failing too? I hate to say anything, but mine has been great so far.... now it will implode next time I'm out.
I've been with a couple guys who had them go.....same issue with the springs dislodging from the clutch disc.

Let's put it this way, I go to the track with three board members several times a year and out of their three cars there have been four clutch failures in the past twelve months. My own clutch staring acting up this summer and I replaced it with an RXT.

My clutch disc failed as well.
When I took this pic, I noticed the spring holders had a notch/cut into them. The cut seemed to be caused during stamping of the steel plate. I wonder if the spring holder failures are caused due to stress concentrations at the notch. Either way, mine failed in a different way, which caused the disc not to fully disengage.

53375add-de05-45e1-b3e7-b07192043b3f_zpsd8001be7.jpg

ArizonaBOSS said:
Install the Cobra Jet Pulse Ring at the same time, if you can get one or if they have one in-stock.

https://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=22870

I haven't had a CEL or code since I put mine in. 3 track days and counting.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel