The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Warranty Coverage

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is the word on Ford in regards to warranty coverage of Boss's that see track time? I was in the Ford dealer today for a repair and ran into my first issue with the service department. Before I state my position I would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

GA
Ford markets the Boss as a track/street car, so if you get push-back on the warranty because of that make that point. Read up on the warranty exceptions so you know what kind of ground you are standing on.

The Boss includes a Track Supplement and was designed to be driven on the track. Tracking your car should not be an issue. Now racing in another story.

Thats what I was thinking. This dealer keeps bringing up the fact that my car is on youtube on the track. My reply so far has been "so what". I have a sneaky feeling they have already tried to void my warranty and Ford told them to pound sand. I willl be going to the other Ford dealer in town from now on due to several problems that have popped up and they have tried to weesel out of doing the right thing.

I feel like this car was marketed to the track enthusiast. Hell the whole motor was redone to survive life on the track. The supplement in the owners manual tells you how to set the shocks to jump FIA curbing. A higher up at Ford was quoted as saying," I expect the Boss to be seen on youtube doing something illegal".

Yes that is a direct quote, but now getting them to honor the warranties. Only time will tell. I'm having my car fully maintenance by Ford for the length of the warranty. 1 less way they can get out of it.

GA
The main thing is to find a good dealer and then do all of your service there. I have a great relationship with mine; they fill out my track day inspection forms for free when I get my oil changed. You have to give to get back though; it helps to buy the Ford ESP and/or Scheduled Maintenance plans since that is a loyal commitment to them and Ford.

Dealers are independent owners - so they can probably do/not do what they want. That doesn't mean you're screwed. Go right to Ford Customer Service (or the Ford Owner's site) and bring Ford corporate into the picture. As long as you didn't do anything specifically indicated in the warranty that would void your warranty, Ford will stand behind it. Ask FCS for a recommended dealer in your area that will honor your warranty work if your dealer is giving you crap.

jimprw said:
Dealers are independent owners - so they can probably do/not do what they want. That doesn't mean you're screwed. Go right to Ford Customer Service (or the Ford Owner's site) and bring Ford corporate into the picture. As long as you didn't do anything specifically indicated in the warranty that would void your warranty, Ford will stand behind it. Ask FCS for a recommended dealer in your area that will honor your warranty work if your dealer is giving you crap.

I'm pretty sure a dealer HAS to honor warranty work. It's not like they do it for free, Ford pays them.

Here's the deal, right from my SVT mechanic. Ford has really been cracking down on warranty work done at dealers. There was a time you could bring your car in (any Ford car) and just say you wanted (insert request) done. The dealer would then order the parts and install them and bill Ford.
Now Ford wants those old parts sent back to them and they inspect them. If there is no issue with the parts then Ford WILL NOT pay the dealer. The dealer is then out the cost of the part and the cost of the labor. So now dealers are getting a little bit gun shy.

I think some of this stems from the tranny problems on the 07-09 GT500's. Many guys were getting the TSB done even though their car never showed any signs of the tranny issues. My 08 never showed any of those TSB concerns and so I never had anything done to it. But I know one dealership that was doing them for any GT500 owner that wanted it done.

That is true and back even before that the dealer would just replace parts to fix something until they hit the right part. It is good for us in the long run, the less cost they pay out for BS claims the less the cars should cost. The way they do it now is better, if there is a problem they can correct it for the future and not have the same cars with the same problems year after year.

In any case the dealer should not look for reasons to void a warranty, that does no one any good.

TMO Supporting Vendors